Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will it end in tiers? Wanderers to hold fire on decision to move supporters

+11
Boggersbelief
Norpig
Hipster_Nebula
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
Bwfc1958
boltonbonce
Bolton Nuts
Natasha Whittam
bryan458
karlypants
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers will delay a decision on whether to close the upper tiers of the North and East Stands at the Macron Stadium until mid-June.

Around 2,000 season tickets were sold in the two stands last term but it has been mooted that closing those sections of the ground could save money and create a better atmosphere among supporters.

That decision will not be considered until the early-purchase deadline has passed on June 12.

Opinion has been divided among fans on social media, and particularly those who have occupied seats in the upper tiers since the stadium was opened.

However a poll conducted by The Bolton News and completed by just over 4,500 people, produced a fairly conclusive verdict, with 74 per cent of the respondents in favour of closing the upper tiers.

It is understood the West Stand Upper, which houses corporate guests and media, is not being considered for closure at this point.

But Richard Gough, Wanderers’ head of commercial, promised supporters no judgment would be made without full consultation.

“Absolutely no decision has yet been made and no decision will be made until the early-purchase deadline has been and gone,” he told The Bolton News.

“It will depend largely on the number of people who renew their season ticket in those areas.

“If any part of the stadium is closed then the supporters who are impacted would be contacted to get their views before any final decision is made.

“We do not underestimate in any way, shape or form how important season tickets are to supporters and the attachment some people have to certain areas of the ground.”

Wanderers could not put an exact cost on how much closing the East and North Upper would save but noted the chief outlay was on cleaning in those areas of the ground.

Others costs include opening kiosks and providing non-voluntary stewarding, although that is offset by money made on food and drink.

The question of atmosphere has also been raised with potentially lower crowd figures expected next season.

The last time Wanderers were in the third tier their average crowd at Burnden Park was 9,062.

The success of the Legends game, which attracted just over 11,000 fans packed into the lower tiers, has whet the appetite among some supporters who believe it would be beneficial to sit closer together and avoid too many empty seats.

In the event fans were displaced it has been recommended incentives are offered, such as first refusal on the upper tier in the event of it being re-opened.

The club was reluctant to close the upper tiers before season tickets went on sale as they felt it sent out the wrong message to supporters who were considering renewal.

The Bolton News’ poll – which will remain open until the end of the week and is accessible via our website – has also found that 58 per cent of respondents feel the season ticket represents good value this year.

Source

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

bounce

Its for the good of the club.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They should shut all the upper tiers if they want to create some atmosphere.

I agree. Worked at the legend game

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Glad to see my idea is being implemented.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If I'm paying nigh on £400 I'll sit where I bloody well like.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

boltonbonce wrote:If I'm paying nigh on £400 I'll sit where I bloody well like.
And this is the problem. The reason they're waiting is so all the people who normally buy season tickets for the upper tiers don't keep their money in their pockets. I'm not against having everyone in the lower tiers to create a better atmosphere and save money but selling tickets to people and then telling them they have to sit somewhere else is out of order imo. If they're going to shut them then say so so that people can make their choice. Another transparency fail.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think that the club should bankrupt itself for some grumpy old Stadler and Waldorf types demanding to sit in the gods. Force the miserable bastards to be sociable.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

wanderlust wrote:I don't think that the club should bankrupt itself for some grumpy old Stadler and Waldorf types demanding to sit in the gods. Force the miserable bastards to be sociable.
Very Happy

That's Boncey you're calling there!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:I don't think that the club should bankrupt itself for some grumpy old Stadler and Waldorf types demanding to sit in the gods. Force the miserable bastards to be sociable.
I love those guys.

I take it as a compliment.

Although I'm not miserable. A few argumentative buggers on here can beat me on that score. Razz

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Personally I don't mind if they shut the upper tiers. If the average gate is going to be 9 or 10K then it makes no sense to have us rattling around in a half empty stadium with tons of empty seats between the odd lone fan or small clump of people. I agree with Nat on this, the atmosphere would be far better if we fill half the ground completely and leave the upper tiers shut. Yes you can see the whole pitch from up there and all that but in honesty the view's not that much better than being sat at the back of one of the lower tiers. If it saves the club money and improves the atmosphere and banter at the game that's a win-win for me.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The demand will be such that they could shut all but one stand.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

with "fans" like you Hipster it wouldn't be a surprise

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:The demand will be such that they could shut all but one stand.

They couldn't though could they

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What fans who live hundreds of miles away and are not willing to spend 20% of their wages every week to watch a football match. 

The people you should be directing your ire at is those who live 5 minutes away and still can't be fucked.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i'm just fed up of your constant sarcasm and slagging off of the fans Hipster, you really earned your doom and gloom award and the double is coming your way i have no doubt

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:i'm just fed up of your constant sarcasm and slagging off of the fans Hipster, you really earned your doom and gloom award and the double is coming your way i have no doubt
Don't say that norpig, I'm really working hard for the 'doom merchant' award for 2016 and Hipster only posts about once a week so I thought I'd be in the lead easily.

I am the new master of negativity, the purveyor of doom, the sultan of gloom and King Party Killer himself. Accept no substitutes. Smile

PS the world will end in approximately 5 seconds ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Damn! Foiled again!

blasterbolton

David Ngog
David Ngog

I think Its the way forward, something like 15,000 capacity in the lower tiers, so cant see the point in opening all areas to cram in 8,000, at the most

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum