Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have We Become Scared Of Confrontation?

+6
xmiles
Keegan
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok_Rebel
Natasha Whittam
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A lot of people don't like confrontation, even if they are 100% in the right. But has it got to the point where the majority of us would rather back down than have to confront somebody?

The inspiration for this thread came from xmiles post in the "Pet Peeve" thread, where his flight to San Francisco was spoilt by people in front of him reclining their chairs for the entire journey.

I too found myself in a couple of situations while on holiday recently, one I confronted the individual and stood my ground, the other I chose to keep my mouth shut.

The first one happened on the flight to Portugal. Across the aisle from me was a big bloke, from the minute we got on the plane I knew he was going to be trouble as he had clearly been drinking. After an hour of the flight he was shouting, swearing and even tried to grope the lady sat next to him. I wish I'd said something, but I didn't. And neither did anyone else.

My second example is people putting towels on sun loungers while on holiday. People get up at 7am, put their towels down, and then don't come back until after lunch. I hate this. So on the first day I simply folded up the towels on the loungers and moved them to a grass area behind the loungers. Four hours later a couple came back and were quite aggresive in asking where their towels were. I just told them that putting towels down means nothing. There wasn't much they could say other than to swear a bit and then walk off.

But why doesn't everyone do this?

Am I right, are you less inclined to "get involved" than you would have been, say, 5 years ago?

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I hate confrontation...

I do however have a massive amount of bottle and an attitude that i will 'stand my ground' and back down to nothing...

its got me in trouble in the past Rolling Eyes

I have been in hundreds of fights over the years becos i will never back down. If you back down peeple will just do it again to someone else.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sir Nut's Dad wrote:I have been in hundreds of fights over the years becos i will never back down. If you back down peeple will just do it again to someone else.

Have We Become Scared Of Confrontation? Facebook_want_button

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sir Nut's Dad wrote:I have been in hundreds of fights over the years becos i will never back down. If you back down peeple will just do it again to someone else.

You spelt "because" wrong on purpose.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If you wore a few more clothes perhaps peeple wouldn't feel so intimidated when they bumped into you.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I am unfortunately, more passive than I should be. I am working on this however - so don't give me any shit! Very Happy

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

It's interesting that my current peeve provoked this thread because I did think about explaining when I originally posted why I did nothing about it at the time.

I will confront people but not all the time. Sometimes I just can't be bothered, other times I rationalise it away and do nothing but occasionally something will annoy me enough to make an issue of it. The reason I didn't make more fuss on the plane was down to a number of factors: the main one being that if the couple in front were going to be difficult there was no practical way I could make them sit up and I would rather have their cooperation at meal times than have no cooperation at all. Plus I was with my partner who really hates confrontation and getting arsey on a plane could lead to serious problems.

I suppose to some extent I do worry about it getting physical if I confront someone, particularly if there is more than one person, but it is important to be polite. If you start off aggressive it can go downhill fast. So I applaud Nat's handling of the towel situation.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I won't confront anyone tbh, mostly out of fear, but also out of can't be arsed.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

The one that pisses me off is when you are in a queue in a cafe with few tables left and some fuckwit comes in and puts his keys and paper on a table claiming it while he waits at the back.When this happens i take the keys to the counter say somebody forgot them and read his paper,if he say's anything a stare and a whats the matter shirley you just come on seems to do the trick.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I dont confront its better just to do something about it if the situation allows. Always check for cameras first though.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'm officially afraid of Angry Dad. The rest of you shirleys, bring it on!

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote: Always check for cameras first though.

Very Happy

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I possibly stand my ground a bit too much in certain scenarios (as some may know Rolling Eyes ) But that is just me as I believe in my own ideologies and will stick to them.

The one with the beach towels and sun loungers - best , and funniest, thing to do is about 8am when all these people are having breakfast, or away doing anything else, pick up all the towels and dump them in the pool!!!!!!! (especially the German one)Laughing Laughing

With regards to the flight scenario - similar thing happened to me whilst flying to Australia, woman in front of me has her seat reclined and I am not a small (height) person - I asked politely and she just ignored me, so next step - knees in the back of her chair.... sure enough got her attention and put the seat back upright.

If diplomacy fails, then there is only one course of action - physical action!!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:I am unfortunately, more passive than I should be. I am working on this however - so don't give me any shit! Very Happy

Easy to say when you're thousands of miles away. You'd be my bitch if you were British.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Keegan wrote:I am unfortunately, more passive than I should be. I am working on this however - so don't give me any shit! Very Happy

Easy to say when you're thousands of miles away. You'd be my bitch if you were British.

Natasha, did I say you could stop doing the washing - now get back to it.......

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Yes, dear. Neutral

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The longer you go without confrontation, the weaker you become at it, and the more you avoid it. Sometimes it's the best feeling in the world to do something that you know could potentially end in a row/fight just to make a stand.

One of the most enjoyable confrontations I've ever had was with the gym manager when I personally changed the TV channel to watch Big Brother.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:
One of the most enjoyable confrontations I've ever had was with the gym manager when I personally changed the TV channel to watch Big Brother.

lol!

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:

lol!

you CHANGED it to watch big brother... Exclamation

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum