Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anyone quit their job without another job to go to?

+5
Hipster_Nebula
Angry Dad
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
Michael Bolton
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I don't know whether or not to quit my job. I am thoroughly fed up of my job, so many shitty changes and things are just shit and will only get worse.

I have enough savings to last me a good eight months without any income but they say its a bad time to be out of work and every job has like 70 applicants for it.

I really want to quit, I want a couple of months out of work before looking for a new start. But its not the done thing is it?

Has anyone else in recent times been in a similar situation? If so what did you do? For others, would you feel ok with being out of work right now or is it a crazy thing to do?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What happened with your interview for a position with the ' Mobile Scarecrows'?

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Reebok Trotter wrote:What happened with your interview for a position with the ' Mobile Scarecrows'?

I didn't get it. I was too hard.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A policeman's lot is not a happy one.

Anyway a serious reply.

It is much easier to find a new job when you are already in employment than if you are not.

I suggest stick with your job for the present whilst you find a new one and then perhaps arrange a delayed start time with them if you can - perhaps say you have already booked a months holiday or something - and try and leave your current job early - ask if they would waive your notice period for time off without pay.

You then if you are lucky get your two months or so break and still have a job to go to.

Last edited by Sluffy on Tue Jul 17 2012, 21:41; edited 1 time in total

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Sluffy is bang on dont do it.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never quit your job until you have something better to drop straight into. The grass always looks greener on the other side. You will go through your savings far quicker than you think so be very careful about handing in your notice. You will seriously miss that monthly pay check in your bank account so don't be hasty.

If you are not tied down to a wife and kids and have no dependant relatives then your eight months savings will go a lot further in somewhere like Thailand.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've done it before yeah, i quit a job as warehouse supervisor at a shoe shop because i was absolutely pissed off to my back teeth.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:I don't know whether or not to quit my job. I am thoroughly fed up of my job, so many shitty changes and things are just shit and will only get worse.

I have enough savings to last me a good eight months without any income but they say its a bad time to be out of work and every job has like 70 applicants for it.

I really want to quit, I want a couple of months out of work before looking for a new start. But its not the done thing is it?

Has anyone else in recent times been in a similar situation? If so what did you do? For others, would you feel ok with being out of work right now or is it a crazy thing to do?

You'll be fine, there's a high turnover of staff in the burger flippin' business - perhaps a move to McDonalds will improve your spirit.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I quit my job, last September, just as I was starting my birthday holiday. Must admit i honestly had no job lined up or did not know what to do with myself. But I soon found employment and actually decided to start my own business which is now beginning to show signs of movement :-) But must admit I became very disillusioned with the job and wanted to get out of banking - although I am still in finance. Banking is just riddled with mistakes and corruption and must admit I wasn't happy with any of it - possibly too moralistic when it comes to money!.

But Sluffy is definitely right in that if you have a job it is easier to find a new job then trying to find a job whilst not working!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:I quit my job, last September, just as I was starting my birthday holiday. Must admit i honestly had no job lined up or did not know what to do with myself. But I soon found employment and actually decided to start my own business which is now beginning to show signs of movement :-) But must admit I became very disillusioned with the job and wanted to get out of banking - although I am still in finance. Banking is just riddled with mistakes and corruption and must admit I wasn't happy with any of it - possibly too moralistic when it comes to money!.

But Sluffy is definitely right in that if you have a job it is easier to find a new job then trying to find a job whilst not working!

Michael Bolton is a world class burger flipper, he won Wimpey Burger Frier Of The Year in 1991, perhaps you could offer him a job in your new venture?

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If i get his resume, then I will forward it to the colleague who will be doing the recruiting for the restaurant!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:If i get his resume, then I will forward it to the colleague who will be doing the recruiting for the restaurant!

Michael Bolton doesn't send out his CV (not resume Chris, this isn't America), his work speaks for itself. He used to wow the crowds at the Durham Services Wimpey branch.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

They use the word resume, over here in Holland - so apologies for that. Had a meeting with a job agency this morning and the word just got stuck in my mind.

Just getting used to the lingo. I should know its Curriculum Vitae!!!

Has he ever worked at Wimpey, Pendleton Precinct, Salford - if so, I do have a spy who goes there every now and again!

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Don't do it mate. Always have a job lined up. I left the R.A.F having already bagged a job at British Airways. When I left them 13 years later I had my start date at LTU in Dusseldorf already sorted. It is really not a good time to be looking for a job !

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Thanks for all the words of wisdom everyone. You are probably right that I should just keep looking for jobs whilst I am getting paid handsomely for selling specs.

Nat - you have a good memory with your comments but god you're a sarcastic bugger. Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:Thanks for all the words of wisdom everyone. You are probably right that I should just keep looking for jobs whilst I am getting paid handsomely for selling specs.

I preferred you as a burger flipper before you won the lottery.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You mock but i don't think there's anything wrong with working in food service.

If you manage to climb up to management level it's a respectable wage too.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:You mock but i don't think there's anything wrong with working in food service.

I agree, I'm not mocking the food service industry, just miss the tales of burger flipping that Mich/Shaft/Michael used to tell.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:You mock but i don't think there's anything wrong with working in food service.

I agree, I'm not mocking the food service industry, just miss the tales of burger flipping that Mich/Shaft/Michael used to tell.

I do make a cracking burger. At Wimpy I was in charge of the spicy beanburgers, I cooked them to perfection. I make brilliant fries too. It was a damn shame when that Wimpy closed down, it was great fun working there.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

After a lot of thought I have decided I will quit my job in the next few weeks. I don't believe it will be that hard to get another job, I had an interview a few weeks ago and missed out due to not being prepared enough but next time I will ace it. I have enough savings to last me probably up to a year without any income so I will have plenty of time.

Work takes up a huge portion of our lifes and if you're not happy at work and don't see your future there it is best to move on. Life is too short, so many of us get stuck in a rut and waste valuable time.

I think it will do me the world of good - a new start, meeting new people, etc. I will really enjoy a month or two off, we don't get anywhere near enough time off/away from work (unless you're a teacher).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum