Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Independent Group - Six MPs quit The Independant Group!

+7
gloswhite
wessy
xmiles
Hipster_Nebula
rammywhite
boltonbonce
wanderlust
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bonce,
You omitted to say who it was signed by. Perhaps that might shed some light on its authenticity and provenance.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:Bonce,
You omitted to say who it was signed by. Perhaps that might shed some light on its authenticity and provenance.

Laura Parker
Momentum National Coordinator.

It was followed by this.

Dear David,

Our country is in crisis and needs a Labour Government. 

Our opponents are the Tories, not each other, and it's disappointing that a small group of MPs have felt unable to continue to work together for the Labour policies that inspired millions at the last election and saw us increase our vote by the largest share since 1945. 

Labour won people over on a programme for the many not the few – redistributing wealth and power, taking vital resources into public ownership, investing in every region and nation, and tackling climate change. 

The Conservative Government is bungling Brexit, while Labour has set out a credible alternative, keeping all options on the table, including a public vote to stop a disastrous 'no deal' Brexit. 

When millions are facing the misery of Universal Credit, rising crime, homelessness and poverty, now more than ever is the time to bring people together to build a better future for us all. For those millions the only solution is a Labour Government that will invest in and transform our country. 

That's why we must be united – not for ourselves but to deliver a Labour Government. 

Yours, 

The Independent Group - Six MPs quit The Independant Group! - Page 2 Jcsig_350px

Jeremy Corbyn
Leader of the Labour Party 

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:This just arrived in my mailbox.

Dear David,

Well, they've finally done it. After years of briefings and threats, a handful of Labour MPs, led by Chris Leslie and Chuka Umunna, have announced they're resigning the whip and forming a new "independent grouping".

Leslie and Umunna know that a new party can't win an election. Just when Labour has the flailing Tories on the ropes, they have decided to leave the fight. Whatever they say, their real goal is simply to stop Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party coming to power and prevent a transformation of this country for the many, not the few.

They are even reportedly planning to deliberately stand in marginal seats where splitting part of the Labour vote would have the most effect - that effect being that the Tory wins. In short, they are trying to create a Blairite spoiler part

Antisemitism is a serious issue. We are committed to rooting it out of the party and hope all Jewish members will stay to help us do this.

But Leslie and Chuka have been undermining the leadership from the very moment Jeremy was elected. They are attacking Labour for "weaken[ing] our national security", supporting "states hostile to our country" and being "hostile to businesses large and small". In short, their agenda is for war and big business.

Their politics of the past cannot solve the challenges of today - and we need to do everything we can to fight it.

But they will do everything they can to sabotage Labour now, and we know they'll have major donors and corporate backing already lined up. So we need to fight back. We're bringing in more video experts to help us combat them on social media, and hiring more organisers to prepare for possible by-elections.

Some amazing bullshit in that email and the kind of magical thinking that brexiteers normally indulge in.

"Just when Labour has the flailing Tories on the ropes". Have they seen any opinion polls lately? It is the shear incompetence of Corbyn that is holding Labour back. His own ratings are virtually off the scale they are so bad.

"We are committed to rooting [antisemiticism] out of the party". Really? They haven't succeeded even after all this time and Corbyn's refusal to take any effective lead is typical of his incompetence.

Funny how it is suggested that these MPs should stand down and seek re-election by the very people who are not pushing for a second referendum. Surely these MPs were elected by the "will of the people".

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A second referendum isn't feasible. However, these people were elected as Labour members, to represent their constituency, and as far as I'm concerned, they've jumped ship, and need to go back to the voters, and let them have their say.

They were elected on a Labour manifesto and backed by Labour money and acitivists. Not suggesting the party are the only factor but it’s major enough that a re election is necessary.

Xmiles - if you’re suggesting the Tories are comfortable in power right now then I’d say it’s you who’s guilt of magical thinking.

What do you want them to do on anti-semitism they haven’t already? Difficult to control a bunch of idiots on the internet im sure you’ll agree.

Last edited by T.R.O.Y on Mon Feb 18 2019, 15:02; edited 1 time in total

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:A second referendum isn't feasible. However, these people were elected as Labour members, to represent their constituency, and as far as I'm concerned, they've jumped ship, and need to go back to the voters, and let them have their say.

Why isn't a second referendum feasible?

There is far more of a case for Kate Hoey or Frank Field to seek re-election than these seven. At least they are following Labour party policy, unlike Corbyn, Hoey and Field, which is to back a second referendum if the party is unable to force a general election.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We've had the referendum. What's the point of another one? It was flawed from the start, but it's done.

Leavers won. So leave.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

T.R.O.Y wrote:They were elected on a Labour manifesto and backed by Labour money and acitovists. Not suggesting the party are the only factor but it’s major enough that a re election is necessary.

Xmiles - if you’re suggesting the Tories are comfortable in power right now then I’d say it’s you who’s guilt of magical thinking.

What do you want them to do on anti-semitism they haven’t already? Difficult to control a bunch of idiots on the internet im sure you’ll agree.

Given the state of the country and the shambles of the brexit negotiations you have to be a very special kind of idiot to be behind the Tories in the opinion polls and that special idiot is Corbyn.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=22&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjdwJ7VxsXgAhUlpHEKHR4FCu0QFjAVegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.markpack.org.uk%2F155623%2Fvoting-intention-opinion-poll-scorecard%2F&usg=AOvVaw1L7t_ptO5eF4Jnymg0Ikya

As for dealing with antisemiticism, how about expelling antisemites rather than temporarily suspending them. Corbyn's record is appalling: defending antisemitic murals, opposing the adoption in full of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's definition, and accompanying examples, of antisemitism, etc

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:We've had the referendum. What's the point of another one? It was flawed from the start, but it's done.

Leavers won. So leave.

So if someone sold you something under false pretences you would just accept that you had been robbed and let it go?

The point is pretty obvious - to get it reversed but if there is another vote to leave then that unfortunately is it. Nobody knows what those who voted leave thought they were voting for because the leave campaign promised all sorts of impossible and contradictory things. If a second referendum was held we would all know the terms.

Polls are all well and good, but Labour’s performance in general elections is what counts. And their last performance shows how close they are. 

700 cases of anti semitism is a tiny portion of the membership. Maybe you’re right and more could be done, but this is categorically not a racist or anti Semitic party (I would not vote for it if it was). The issue is ramped up to attack the leadership. They’ve left because they don’t like the direction of the party and the left wing policies. A shame to lose anyone from the party, but life goes on.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:We've had the referendum. What's the point of another one? It was flawed from the start, but it's done.

Leavers won. So leave.

So if someone sold you something under false pretences you would just accept that you had been robbed and let it go?

The point is pretty obvious - to get it reversed but if there is another vote to leave then that unfortunately is it. Nobody knows what those who voted leave thought they were voting for because the leave campaign promised all sorts of impossible and contradictory things. If a second referendum was held we would all know the terms.
You can't keep having votes until you get he result you want. I'm a remainer, but the mugs who bought the lies now have to pay the price. Unfortunately, we've got to pay it with them.
Anything else will lead to riots in the streets.

There are no democratic justifications for another vote. A soft Brexit is far and away the best option left.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

At least my own MP is doing the right thing.

The Independent Group - Six MPs quit The Independant Group! - Page 2 DzrsgKxWsAAA72v

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:There are no democratic justifications for another vote. A soft Brexit is far and away the best option left.
But a soft Brexit which many Leave voters voted for isn't an option any more since May - without either consensus or mandate - took leaving the EU but staying in the Single Market and Customs Union off the table.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Be interesting to see if any more jump ship. And not just from Labour.

wanderlust wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:There are no democratic justifications for another vote. A soft Brexit is far and away the best option left.
But a soft Brexit which many Leave voters voted for isn't an option any more since May - without either consensus or mandate - took leaving the EU but staying in the Single Market and Customs Union off the table.

I know, that’s why getting May out and Labour in is the best chance of us getting that deal.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

T.R.O.Y wrote:Polls are all well and good, but Labour’s performance in general elections is what counts. And their last performance shows how close they are. 

700 cases of anti semitism is a tiny portion of the membership. Maybe you’re right and more could be done, but this is categorically not a racist or anti Semitic party (I would not vote for it if it was). The issue is ramped up to attack the leadership. They’ve left because they don’t like the direction of the party and the left wing policies. A shame to lose anyone from the party, but life goes on.

It is normal for the opposition to lead the government in opinion polls especially midterm. We have so many things failing now due to Tory austerity policies and yet Labour are unable to take any kind of lead in the polls. Labour did better than expected in the last election because of large numbers of younger voters believing in Corbyn but these are the very same people who have explicitly said they won't vote for Labour if Corbyn backs brexit. Labour is continuing to lose members because of Corbyn's stance on brexit: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiDx57u2MXgAhVYShUIHbMYBzIQFjAEegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fpolitics%2F2019%2Ffeb%2F05%2Flabour-membership-falls-10-amid-unrest-over-brexit-stance&usg=AOvVaw3lFTpppOk39_xQeHRFfBqg

I agree with you that the Labour party is not itself antisemitic and that the issue is used by the right wing but Corbyn needs to do far more to address the problem than he has. His lack of action has already caused a lot of damage which could have been easily avoided if he were not so stupid.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:
xmiles wrote:

Leavers won. So leave.

You can't keep having votes until you get he result you want. I'm a remainer, but the mugs who bought the lies now have to pay the price. Unfortunately, we've got to pay it with them.
Anything else will lead to riots in the streets.

I am not saying keep having a vote until we get the result I want. I am saying have a vote when people are given the facts about what their vote means. That is what democracy means.

The idea that having a second referendum is antidemocratic is just complete nonsense. We had a vote when we joined the EU yet nobody claimed it was antidemocratic when Cameron held his referendum.

And I don't think it is acceptable to say we can't have a vote because some right wing thugs will possibly riot. Is that democratic?

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

T.R.O.Y wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

I know, that’s why getting May out and Labour in is the best chance of us getting that deal.

There is zero chance of a general election being held unless May choses to call one.

And what makes you think that Labour would win an election with Corbyn leading the party and at least seven former members standing and splitting the Labour vote?

Here is what people currently think about Corbyn:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjYxLXc3MXgAhXsRxUIHX5IAgUQFjAGegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thejc.com%2Fnews%2Fuk-news%2Fone-third-of-voters-believe-labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-is-antisemitic-new-yougov-poll-reveals-1.480126&usg=AOvVaw1zycbfIc4Hp2C7UVN9Yy4f

We had the same polls in the run up to the last general election. Forgive me if I don’t hang off they’re every word. 

You’re welcome to your opinion, as I am to mine. Neither of us knows any better than the other as to what would happen at a GE, whenever that may be.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum