Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gartside's word of warning to Coyle and players

+14
Natasha Whittam
Hipster_Nebula
bwfc71
doffcocker
largehat
Reebok_Rebel
rammywhite
terenceanne
wanderlust
Angry Dad
aaron_bwfc
JonnyRandom
Numpty 28723
Sluffy
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Think this deserves its own thread -

PHIL Gartside has delivered a clear warning to Owen Coyle and his players in an effort to get their promotion push back on track.

Faced with mounting criticism over a poor start to the season, the frustrated chairman has taken a hard line by telling his manager and players that results like Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Hull City will not be tolerated.

Travelling fans called for Coyle to leave after seeing their side fall behind in the second half at the KC Stadium – but The Bolton News understands the Scot will still be in charge as the Whites head into a crucial spell of three games in seven days after the international break.

Speaking after the match, Gartside let it be known in no uncertain terms that he expects an upturn in fortunes.

“I can understand the reaction from the fans, and I was as disappointed and frustrated,” he said.

“We had fantastic support at Hull and it was not good enough.

“There is absolutely no doubt, we have to improve, and I will be looking for a reaction.

“It is a good squad and we have made some quality additions over the summer, so we have to do better.”

After recruiting the likes of Keith Andrews, Andy Lonergan and Matt Mills in the summer, Wanderers were labelled promotion favourites before a ball had been kicked.

Gartside admitted in a recent interview that both he and Coyle were under “100 per cent pressure” to get the club back into the big time, which carries with it a vastly inflated television deal from next season.

Anything other than promotion is not an option for the Whites, which makes the fact they have taken just four points from their first four games, putting them just above the relegation zone, all the more difficult to digest.

“Ahead of the break, we wanted to maintain an average of two points a game, and it is important that we achieve that,” the chairman said.

“Clearly we haven't hit that target and it is a given that we must get back on track.

“There is always going to be pressure, but we have to deal with that and start winning games and delivering consistent top notch performances.”

Saturday's defeat means Wanderers have kept just one clean sheet on their travels in the last 47 away games.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I'm glad Gartside feels that he's under "100 per cent pressure" because if Coyle does eventually get the push then Gartside needs to do the decent thing and resign as well.

He's had a good run for his money and the time is right for some new thinking and fresh ideas in the upper echelons of the club. Gartside is old school and his smug, complacent, "people who know about football" attitude has run its course.

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Thing is, results wont improve. They have been crap for 18 months now. His time to go is now while theres a break. Im gutted coyle hasnt done well. Im sure most bolton fans was wanting him to but it just wasnt to be. I will be sad to see him leave but being a nice guy isnt good enough. He needs to go now. Whats the point in leaving it any longer and we become more in the shit.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

If we don't get a mimimum of 4 points from the next 2 games, or carry on as we have been until the end of the month coyle will be gone.

From the sounds of it at Hull, coyle has lost the fans so I can't see him coming back from this.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

One thing we can be sure of is that Gartside wont act until its too late.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Angry Dad wrote:One thing we can be sure of is that Gartside wont act until its too late.

I wouldn't be too sure on that, he obviously isn't happy.

He's a fool if he thinks things are going to change though by giving him more time.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As mentioned elsewhere OC is working to targets and failing to deliver, but until now it wasn't as clear as to what they are. The fact that PG has come out and publically criticised both OC and the players is a very significant step. Without a shadow of a doubt, PG has done this to lay the groundwork for what is to come. Up until now he has openly backed OC all the way, even through relegation so this is a first to my knowledge.
It is a very astute move by PG - and OC and the players can be in no doubt now that unless things buck up quickly, the axe will fall.
I'm very encouraged by this move by PG and no matter what many fans think of him I think it's the smart thing to do.
The message also implies that there's a timescale of the next 3 games to get it right - and if we do get it right I'll be delighted as we will be succeeding without having to go back to the drawing board with a new manager. If we don't, OC is toast.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I like to repeat myself ... so I will .....
New owners required......said this for years..nothing to do with the current situation. Owners that demand success .....that is an automatic removal of most of the managment and players....some russians or yanks need to by us. Just let's say any of us were billionares and bought BWFC......would anyone of us put up with the nonsense over the last few years? course not. That's why tweaking full-backs and chatting about 4-4-2 is just fun stuff....but the head of the snake has to cut off for a serious change.

terenceanne wrote:I like to repeat myself ... so I will .....
New owners required......said this for years..nothing to do with the current situation. Owners that demand success .....that is an automatic removal of most of the managment and players....some russians or yanks need to by us. Just let's say any of us were billionares and bought BWFC......would anyone of us put up with the nonsense over the last few years? course not. That's why tweaking full-backs and chatting about 4-4-2 is just fun stuff....but the head of the snake has to cut off for a serious change.

Pointing out the obvious though really aren't you? You may of said it in the past but it's hardly a ground breaking point. Who wouldn't want us to have an owner capable of huge investment to drive the club forward?

But it's wishful thinking, if it happens great -so long as they're the good type of owner and not Venkys/Portsmouth (be careful what you wish for)- at the end of the day it probably won't be happening any time soon.

Eddie Davis has ploughed £100 million into the club, we should all be grateful for that, as we'd be in a far shitter place without that money.

Keep dreaming about an international takeover, but what really needs to change is Coyle, the backroom staff and Gartside.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Terenceanne,
If you were a Russian or American billionairre- be honest, would you buy this shambles? There are other more attractive prospects than the current mess at the Reebok

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

terenceanne wrote:I like to repeat myself ... so I will .....

seriously, who's going to buy a club like Bolton? there are much better quality 'toys' they could invest in.

we are not a club that has the worldwide exposure that some clubs have, nor do we have the massive fan-base.

That person, who wears the very nice fetching thing on his head, to protect him from the suns rays and other atmospheric threats - the thing do not know the name of but that looks like a tea-towel only bought city because he REALLY wanted Manchester united but couldn't have them - so chose the closest thing he could, he is a man united fan at heart - city is just his toy i think, he will get bored eventually. 'Etihad' actually translates in to 'united' ... so i find it funny that they are actually bouncing round Manchester and playing with the names of their main rivals on their shirts...

anyway, we just dont have the pull to attract a billionaire im afraid...

Eddie Davies is a rich man, not rich in the sense of abromovich or the sheik who owns city... and the sad truth is, he only invested because he is a fan.

no rich Russian/Arab billionaire grew up thinking... OMG, I want to own a massive club like Bolton one day...

lets just face the music - we are fucked if we dont get back to the prem this season.

at least as a premier league club we will get more exposure to the world and hopefully, somebody will think ...oh, il buy them.

nobody like the venkeys though please...

Last edited by Reebok_Rebel on Mon Sep 03 2012, 17:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to bring it in line with modern 'PC' thinking...)

Reebok_Rebel wrote:

the rag-head only bought city because he REALLY wanted Manchester united but couldn't have them - so chose the closest thing he could, he is a man united fan at heart - city is just his toy i think, he will get bored eventually. 'Etihad' actually translates in to 'united' ...

Why use the word rag-head?

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

the rag-head only bought city because he REALLY wanted Manchester united but couldn't have them - so chose the closest thing he could, he is a man united fan at heart - city is just his toy i think, he will get bored eventually. 'Etihad' actually translates in to 'united' ...

Why use the word rag-head?

because they wear rags on there heads?

come on, dont jump on the PC bandwagon... its not a really big thing is it?

PC bandwagon? Give me a break.

Say what you want, it just makes you look like an idiot.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:PC bandwagon? Give me a break.

Say what you want, it just makes you look like an idiot.

are you saying its racist?

Its not... it looks like a rag or a tea towel - deny it?

or is it becasue im referring to an Arab?

I love the PC bandwagon...

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Rebel.

PC = doing things a certain way to avoid causing offence to minorities.

Racism = insulting language and ideologies on the basis of race or creed.

Discrimination = applied racism, sexism etc.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

“I can understand the reaction from the fans, and I was as disappointed and frustrated."

Where has this bellend been for the last 18 months? What we saw against Hull was no greater an illustration of Coyle's tactical ineptitude than we've been seeing for the last year and half, for most of which he's been calling Coyle-bashers "stupid" and telling everybody he's definitely the man. I suppose the "long-term plan" is no longer, now promotion and consequential hefty television deals aren't turning into a piece of cake as predicted.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok_Rebel wrote:'Etihad' actually translates in to 'united'

Actually the closest translation is 'to bring together'.... some of the press at the time of the unveiling of the sponsor twisted it to say united because when you put that phrase through a thesaurus it comes up with 'unite' which is only one letter away from 'united'!

Another urban-myth busted!Cool

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

oh come on...

Its just the same as us referring to the Dutch as Pot smokers or the Irish as potato lovers...

oh, hang on a Min, they are predominantly white races... thus, racism does not exist there...

would you shoot me down if, hypothetically city's owners were Dutch and I called them all a bunch of stoners? yes, its a generalisation but nobody would have batted an eyelid... really they wouldn't, but its the same thing.

many times people have referd to Owen Coyle on here as a 'stupid Scottish prick' - nobody reacts to that.

I also find it a little annoying that BWFC1871 has jumped on the 'PC bandwagon' without commenting on my post - becasue he thought 'oh, great, il look really cool and liberal here'...

when not so long ago he called Natasha a 'daft bint'

but that's ok I suppose... Suspect

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc71 wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:'Etihad' actually translates in to 'united'

Actually the closest translation is 'to bring together'.... some of the press at the time of the unveiling of the sponsor twisted it to say united because when you put that phrase through a thesaurus it comes up with 'unite' which is only one letter away from 'united'!

Another urban-myth busted!Cool

fail (ish)...

The MEN contacted Mohammed Nizami, at the Manchester City council
translation service in the town hall, who said the correct translation
for Etihad was 'Unity'.

But when asked if the word could also mean 'United' he consulted
an arabic dictionary and said: "Yes, it can also stand for union,
alliance, friendship and united."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next