Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When tax is too taxing.

+5
Norpig
boltonbonce
Ten Bobsworth
Sluffy
xmiles
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1When tax is too taxing. Empty When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 08:12

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Reading about Egotricity's six-year issues with HMRC, reminded me of the trial and acquittal of Ken Dodd. Next week's the second anniversary of Doddy's death but his memory lives on:

''When income tax was introduced it was tuppence in the pound. I thought it still was!"

"I told the Inland Revenue I didn't owe them a penny because I lived near the seaside."

"Good evening, my name is Kenneth Arthur Dodd; singer, photographic playboy and failed accountant!"

When asked by the judge in his trial, "What does £100,000 in a suitcase feel like?", Dodd replied, "The notes are very light, M'Lord."

And specially for Boncey from George Carman QC, Doddy's barrister, , "Some accountants are comedians, but comedians are never accountants"

2When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 08:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Accountancy always looks like this to me. Very Happy
When tax is too taxing. Giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e3b2d3d742636aea0b207e01aef8d5d2c643a59c&rid=giphy

3When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 08:24

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Accountancy always looks like this to me. Very Happy
When tax is too taxing. Giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e3b2d3d742636aea0b207e01aef8d5d2c643a59c&rid=giphy
You haven't been reading those Egotricity accounts again, have you?

4When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 08:27

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Reading about Egotricity's six-year issues with HMRC, reminded me of the trial and acquittal of Ken Dodd. Next week's the second anniversary of Doddy's death but his memory lives on:

''When income tax was introduced it was tuppence in the pound. I thought it still was!"

"I told the Inland Revenue I didn't owe them a penny because I lived near the seaside."

"Good evening, my name is Kenneth Arthur Dodd; singer, photographic playboy and failed accountant!"

When asked by the judge in his trial, "What does £100,000 in a suitcase feel like?", Dodd replied, "The notes are very light, M'Lord."

And specially for Boncey from George Carman QC, Doddy's barrister, , "Some accountants are comedians, but comedians are never accountants"

Just another rich greedy **** who evaded paying his fair share of tax.

5When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 08:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm illiterate when presented by an account book. Yet, rather like the man who only sings in the shower, consider myself of Metropolitan Opera standard.
When tax is too taxing. Giphy.gif?cid=790b76115b06a2f44d8d20b747d543103c75e0083bda7fef&rid=giphy

6When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 08:42

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I'm illiterate when presented by an account book. Yet, rather like the man who only sings in the shower, consider myself of Metropolitan Opera standard.
When tax is too taxing. Giphy.gif?cid=790b76115b06a2f44d8d20b747d543103c75e0083bda7fef&rid=giphy
That's not much different to 'most people', Boncey.  But I can recommend a very good book.'The Great Tax Robbery' by Richard Brooks. It includes a chapter on footie tax avoiders. Doddy was just a shrimp in the great scheme of things.

7When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 09:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I'm illiterate when presented by an account book. Yet, rather like the man who only sings in the shower, consider myself of Metropolitan Opera standard.
That's not much different to 'most people', Boncey.  But I can recommend a very good book.'The Great Tax Robbery' by Richard Brooks. It includes a chapter on footie tax avoiders. Doddy was just a shrimp in the great scheme of things.
Thanks Bob, now I'll know what to avoid in the library. 

"Big Broads Don't Cry', now that's more like it. 23 chapters, ten murders, and a big stripper called Roxie.

8When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 09:37

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Thanks Bob, now I'll know what to avoid in the library. 

"Big Broads Don't Cry', now that's more like it. 23 chapters, ten murders, and a big stripper called Roxie.
What a shame. You won't know what you've missed.

But if you insist on restricting your reading, you might like Strip Tease by Carl Hiaasen or almost anything by Carl Hiaasen.

Only in America could an innocent, if drunken, guest of honour at a strip joint bachelor party become a mortal threat against Big Money and Big Governmement

New York Times Book Review said:

YOUR SIDES HURT AFTER A WHILE, JUST FROM READING

Is that not up your street?

Is there still a library in Farnworth btw?

9When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 09:49

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I am with you on this TB. It is perfectly possible to enjoy reading The Great Tax Robbery by Richard Brooks and any of the Carl Hiaasen novels. Smile

It is just a pity that so few people in this country understand how the tax system really works. In essence the very wealthy only pay the tax they choose to pay and nothing is done to counter it.

10When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 09:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bob, I'm no longer in Farnworth. I'm in Birchwood near Warrington, and, although we have a library. I never use it.
Books are so cheap on Amazon, you can buy them, read them, then pass them on to the charity shop.
I'll have a look at the book you suggested. Might get it on Kindle.

11When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 10:39

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Bob, I'm no longer in Farnworth. I'm in Birchwood near Warrington, and, although we have a library. I never use it.
Books are so cheap on Amazon, you can buy them, read them, then pass them on to the charity shop.
I'll have a look at the book you suggested. Might get it on Kindle.
If you have a look on Amazon you'll also see Richard Brooks' book entitled Bean Counters. I haven't read it but I would recommend a brief look at some of the Amazon reviews. These echo my own limited experiences of the Big Four.

BWFC at one time was audited by Arthur Andersen, which notorously went belly up from the Enron scandal, and later by Deloittes. But I'd also say that I saw no questionable accounting practices in the club's balance sheets during the Davies or Anderson era except for some relatively minor doubts over the description of certain transactions relating, one way or another, to the Holdsworth/Anderson dispute.

12When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 10:52

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Last book about financial matters I read was 'The Wizard Of Lies: Bernie Madoff and the Death of Trust'.

13When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 11:14

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Last book about financial matters I read was 'The Wizard Of Lies: Bernie Madoff and the Death of Trust'.
It was about Bernie Madoff was it, not the Chief Football Writer of the Bolton News?
They got Robert De Niro to play Bernie when they made a film of it.
If they made a film about the BN, who would they cast as Mr 'I'm no business expert'?

14When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 11:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Last book about financial matters I read was 'The Wizard Of Lies: Bernie Madoff and the Death of Trust'.
It was about Bernie Madoff was it, not the Chief Football Writer of the Bolton News?
If they made a film about the BN, who would they cast as Mr 'I'm no business expert'?
Tough one. You always big yourself up in movies, so.......

Marc Iles.........Jason Statham

Ken Anderson.......Danny De Vito

Lee Anderson........Andy Serkis in a suit

15When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 12:18

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Tough one. You always big yourself up in movies, so.......

Marc Iles.........Jason Statham

Ken Anderson.......Danny De Vito

Lee Anderson........Andy Serkis in a suit
I'm going:

Marc Iles ....... Alexei Sayle

Ken Anderson..... Jack Nicholson

Lee Anderson ..... Nigel Planer (The Young Ones)

16When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 23:29

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Ken Dodd, famously said that he would like to be Chancellor of the Exchequer so he could be re-united with his money but seeing how no-one's made the connection between the anniversary of Doddy's death and Rishi Sunak, lets try summat else, especially for Boncey. Who is this Bolton Wanderers supporter and what's the connection with the Bolton Wanderers SupportersTrust?
When tax is too taxing. 9k=

Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Tue Mar 03 2020, 08:45; edited 1 time in total

17When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Mon Mar 02 2020, 23:45

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's Michael Izza......Daniel Izza.

18When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Tue Mar 03 2020, 08:38

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:That's Michael Izza......Daniel Izza.
Well done Boncey. Go to the top of the class. What's his job?

P.S. Rishi Sunak will be presenting his first Budget on the second anniversary of Doddy's death. I wonder if he'll mention it.

Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Sat Mar 14 2020, 14:11; edited 1 time in total

19When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Tue Mar 03 2020, 10:24

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is like being on Mastermind. Last I heard he was CEO of ICAEW. 

So Vinny used a loophole. Let me know when he's arrested.

I'm more interested in his slippers. He strikes me as the type of bounder who goes about in bare feet. This would be beyond the pale, and I'd have to throw him to the dogs if this turns out to be the case.

20When tax is too taxing. Empty Re: When tax is too taxing. Tue Mar 03 2020, 10:52

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:This is like being on Mastermind. Last I heard he was CEO of ICAEW. 

So Vinny used a loophole. Let me know when he's arrested.

I'm more interested in his slippers. He strikes me as the type of bounder who goes about in bare feet. This would be beyond the pale, and I'd have to throw him to the dogs if this turns out to be the case.
A combination of loopholes really. HMRC have been closing in on 'disguised remuneration' for a long time and some smaller businesses that used it in a comparatively small way might go to the wall as a consequence.

The Tories said they were going to do something about the abuse of another big tax relief in their manifesto and we might well see that happen next week.

I can't honestly see Mr Vince wearing slippers whether in his castle or on his high horse, so it might have to be the dogs. But can you prove it?

Look out for 'Parlour games' btw if you get hold of a copy of Richard Brooks' book

There's another excellent book on a similar theme called 'Treasure Islands' by Nicholas Shaxson. I had a copy of both but it looks like Shaxson's book has been 'borrowed' from Grandad's library.

Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Sat Mar 14 2020, 14:13; edited 2 times in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum