Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yoan Zouma - His side of the story

4 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Yoan Zouma - His side of the story  Empty Yoan Zouma - His side of the story Tue Sep 29 2020, 18:24

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

YOAN Zouma has accused Wanderers of misleading him into thinking he was going to get a contract at the club.

The French defender left the University of Bolton Stadium last week after a trial, with head coach Ian Evatt claiming he had better options within the squad.

Zouma had previously spent two years with Wanderers, and made 23 appearances in all competitions last season, but it had been suggested by the club that his unrealistic financial demands led to his release in the summer.

That version of events has been strenuously denied by the player, who says he was promised a deal last week on the basis that another first team defender was to be moved on.

The 22-year-old, brother of Chelsea and France star Kurt Zouma, is understood to be in talks with League Two rivals Barrow and wanted to put his side of the story to the Wanderers fans.

In a statement issued to The Bolton News, Zouma said: “Out of respect for Bolton and the club’s fans I never communicated about the situation, I let Bolton communicate about my situation but today I would like to set some truth back.

“My wish has always been to sign and play for Bolton. I spent two seasons at the club with my initially signed Under-23s contract. In November 2019 the club made me an offer to extend my contract, but the offer was almost similar to my current contract, we tried to negotiate but never got a response from the club.

“At the beginning of July sporting director Tobias (Phoenix) contacted my agent to find out if I was still interested in returning to the club, we said ‘yes’ and we waited for an offer that never arrived. It is important for me to say that Bolton NEVER made me an offer to return to the club.

“Recently there was a mutual will for me to return to training at Bolton, Tobias insisted as the manager wanted to see if I was in good physical shape and it was agreed that he would make me an offer when another player was gone. Last week I spoke to the manager and he confirmed to me that the club wanted to sign me that they were going to send me an offer soon.

“On Thursday I decided not to return to training because I had not received any offers from Bolton.

“When I read what was said by the club and the coach I must set the record straight and protect my image.

“I have always given my best for the club despite the hardships and injustices I have suffered.”

Wanderers have declined to comment on Zouma’s claims – but should his move to Cumbria go ahead there could be a quick reunion, with Evatt taking his side back to Holker Street on October 20.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

All seems very odd this don't you think?

Put Zouma to one side it looks as though Hill was managing in his own right and seemingly after a few months into the season Kenyon brought about a change, persuaded FV to bring in Phoenix, all but oust Hill sometime around November/December and rip up his plans for the January transfer window.

Hill was a lame duck from then on and in effect we as a club rest from the beginning again for this season by bringing in a new 'coach' and a new squad of players.

Seems to what Zouma said above that Phoenix is the top dog and Evans Evatt very much the paid lacky.

I guess like Hill Evans Evatt was pleased to get the gig and will have got a decent wodge for being here but it reads as though he doesn't seem to have the final say on who is/isn't brought into the squad and that Phoenix's word is the one that matters.

I'm not knocking Evans Evatt or the players but it seems we have brought in some right duffers and having just signed the lad who set up the goals for Doyle at Swindon looks to me as panic has set in and we are going to revert back to a form of football we are more used to - that the players are far more comfortable with, than the pipedream we seem to have been sold.

Maybe once we get a few wins on the board (we are already 14 points behind Harrogate apparently!) and the players become more familiar with each other, then perhaps Evatt Evans will move again to have us playing to the style he prefers and hopefully the pipedream will become reality.

Let's hope so anyway.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I still think Zouma would have been a better option than the likes of Santos and Baptiste,

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Zouma has signed for Barrow now.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Zouma  is very athletic and a strong physical presence but has a tendency to get caught out of position from time to time but that's something that comes with experience just as it did for Cahill (not suggesting he's got Cahill's skill BTW)
I saw him as a good prospect and felt that if he did rejoin us he would be an asset and would improve.
Shame it didn't work out (hardships? injustices? - not really) but he may be a missed opportunity even if he turns out to be half as good as his brother because he can run well, head well,and put himself about well. Maybe he'd be good in front of a back 3? Less likely to give away a pen when he kicks 'em. But we'll never know now unless Barrow do that with him and turn him into the next Fabrice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum