Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will you boo if Bolton Players take the knee

+10
bryan458
Ten Bobsworth
Sluffy
luckyPeterpiper
boltonbonce
Whitesince63
Norpig
wanderlust
finlaymcdanger
okocha
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Will any of our "fans" boo if our players take the knee?

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

okocha wrote:Will any of our "fans" boo if our players take the knee?
Sadly, I would imagine so.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's like asking what is the socio-political make up of a typical English town.
One thing is for sure - a football club isn't the answer to resolving societal issues.

On another note, Evatt is apparently anticipating quite a few more signings.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
(apart from the Scottish winger)

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone who boo's near me will be getting told to shut it!

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Norpig wrote:
 Anyone who boo's near me will be getting told to shut it!

I’ll just boo louder then Norpig. 💥

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:

I’ll just boo louder then Norpig. 💥
Then you'll get whatever is left of my pie thrown in your direction  Very Happy

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
I'll chuck a vegan roll, that'll teach 'em. I'm pretty sure I can guess where most of the boo boys might be sitting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Norpig wrote:

Make sure it’s meat and potato Norpig, I do get a bit peckish 🥟

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:

Make sure it’s meat and potato Norpig, I do get a bit peckish 🥟
 That's the one i always go for so you should be ok  Very Happy

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

While I completely agree with the sentiment behind taking the knee and believe it should continue at least through the Euros I feel it's a distraction from the very real battle that still needs to be fought. If we are to truly put an end to bigotry in both wider society and sport then it requires an enormous change of attitude not just on the surface but within the minds of everyone.

Politicians can spout platitudes, the twitter crowd can 'cancel' and sportsmen and women can speak out against the evil but that won't make a difference to those unwilling to hear what's being said. Personally I believe that if we're ever going to overcome the true problems it has to start with education, a real and honest look at where we are now and how we got here.

Toppling statues, while at least briefly satisfying won't do the job nor will legislation no matter how well meaning. You can't legislate what's in a peron's heart and mind, you have to show them they're wrong and more importantly how to put themselves on the right track.

It won't happen overnight but it can and must be done. I also feel we do need to congratulate ourselves for how far we've already come. Yes, there is a long way to go and sometimes it's easy to say we're not good enough and haven't done enough but those of us over 40 will remember when Viv Anderson was picked for England and when Cyril Regis was sent a bullet in the post by a mindless moron threatening to kneecap him if he took to the field in an England shirt. I remember seeing black players having bananas thrown at them and the vile sound of monkey chants coming from the stands which people somehow said was 'just part of the game'. So let's not forget that while we haven't yet finished the job we are at least on the right road and we need to remember that we have done some good if only to encourage us to do more.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

A very noble post Peter but unfortunately the lunatics have taken over the asylum as far as education is concerned. With all the de-platforming and refusal to listen to the other side, how are you going to change opinion? Like you and I suspect every other rational, reasonable person on this site, we want to see the back of racism but I’m afraid you have to consider that there are individuals and organisations on the black side whose intention is to stir up tensions, BLM being one, which is principally why I detest the fact that the PL and players have been so taken in by them, adding their logo to shirts and continuing the take the knee gesture. I’d be 100% behind an anti racist push but not one that is so obviously politically based and in my view actually racist the other way, so many players not just taking the knee but raising the arm in a black power signal. 

It’s now got to the point I believe, where it’s actually working against itself and needs to be replaced with something without political bias. I really do fear for the Euros because the booing at football stadiums, which will continue I believe, will be replicated in pubs and bars and flushed with drink is going to lead to violence. I blame The football authorities and Southgate himself after his recent show of ignorance and intransigence, for any trouble arising because instead of understanding that the booing isn’t racist but a signal that this has gone far enough and it needs to stop, they’ve just chosen to put it down to fans who are thick and racially unaware.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Interesting perspective on League 1 transfers from Karl Robinson [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Whitesince63 - you mention you’d be right behind an anti-racism push. What sort of push is it you would be behind?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:A very noble post Peter but unfortunately the lunatics have taken over the asylum as far as education is concerned. With all the de-platforming and refusal to listen to the other side, how are you going to change opinion? Like you and I suspect every other rational, reasonable person on this site, we want to see the back of racism but I’m afraid you have to consider that there are individuals and organisations on the black side whose intention is to stir up tensions, BLM being one, which is principally why I detest the fact that the PL and players have been so taken in by them, adding their logo to shirts and continuing the take the knee gesture. I’d be 100% behind an anti racist push but not one that is so obviously politically based and in my view actually racist the other way, so many players not just taking the knee but raising the arm in a black power signal. 

It’s now got to the point I believe, where it’s actually working against itself and needs to be replaced with something without political bias. I really do fear for the Euros because the booing at football stadiums, which will continue I believe, will be replicated in pubs and bars and flushed with drink is going to lead to violence. I blame The football authorities and Southgate himself after his recent show of ignorance and intransigence, for any trouble arising because instead of understanding that the booing isn’t racist but a signal that this has gone far enough and it needs to stop, they’ve just chosen to put it down to fans who are thick and racially unaware.
I know that there are right wing groups attempting to discredit BLM but so far I've seen no actual evidence that they are trying to "stir tensions up" - just hearsay and politically motivated rhetoric.
But even if they are - and that would be in America, not here - it's irrelevant as the vast majority of British people see footballers taking the knee as a symbol of the movement to stop racial abuse - which obviously does exist and is proven.

And if that's what it means to the people, it's obvious that it hasn't gone anywhere near far enough because there is still a societal problem that needs to be resolved.

It's entirely understandable that those people booing are perceived as ignorant/racist or both given that they have nothing to lose by supporting the movement so they must have another motivation.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:A very noble post Peter but unfortunately the lunatics have taken over the asylum as far as education is concerned. With all the de-platforming and refusal to listen to the other side, how are you going to change opinion? Like you and I suspect every other rational, reasonable person on this site, we want to see the back of racism but I’m afraid you have to consider that there are individuals and organisations on the black side whose intention is to stir up tensions, BLM being one, which is principally why I detest the fact that the PL and players have been so taken in by them, adding their logo to shirts and continuing the take the knee gesture. I’d be 100% behind an anti racist push but not one that is so obviously politically based and in my view actually racist the other way, so many players not just taking the knee but raising the arm in a black power signal. 

I know that there are right wing groups attempting to discredit BLM but so far I've seen no actual evidence that they are trying to "stir tensions up" - just hearsay and politically motivated rhetoric.
But even if they are - and that would be in America, not here - it's irrelevant as the vast majority of British people see footballers taking the knee as a symbol of the movement to stop racial abuse - which obviously does exist and is proven.

And if that's what it means to the people, it's obvious that it hasn't gone anywhere near far enough because there is still a societal problem that needs to be resolved.

It's entirely understandable that those people booing are perceived as ignorant/racist or both given that they have nothing to lose by supporting the movement so they must have another motivation.

Wilfred Zaha doesn't support the movement in terms of taking the knee, is he ignorant/racist or both too...?

My point being that just because someone doesn't agree with it doesn't mean they have another motivation.

Some like Wilf, 63 and myself just believe the gesture has lost all meaning and it is just being done by many because everyone else is doing it and they don't want to be seen as racist by not doing it too!

I don't doubt there are a few taking the knee who are racist anyway - just because they take the knee doesn't mean they believe in it does it?

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Why can't we have a gesture of the month?
Homeless people matter
Child grooming matters
Mental health matters
Alcoholism matters
Gambling addiction matters
Tax dodging matters
Education matters
Old folk matter
Young folk matter
Middle aged folk matter
Womens safety matters
Saving the planet matters

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Wilfred Zaha doesn't support the movement in terms of taking the knee, is he ignorant/racist or both too...?

My point being that just because someone doesn't agree with it doesn't mean they have another motivation.

Some like Wilf, 63 and myself just believe the gesture has lost all meaning and it is just being done by many because everyone else is doing it and they don't want to be seen as racist by not doing it too!

I don't doubt there are a few taking the knee who are racist anyway - just because they take the knee doesn't mean they believe in it does it?
You're failing to differentiate between not participating and actively deprecating.
It's true some people don't believe it will work or that it's the best way to achieve the objective but they don't boo others who participate.
Why boo?
Zaha doesn't.

Last edited by wanderlust on Thu Jun 10 2021, 23:15; edited 2 times in total

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Why can't we have a gesture of the month?
Homeless people matter
Child grooming matters
Mental health matters
Alcoholism matters
Gambling addiction matters
Tax dodging matters
Education matters
Old folk matter
Young folk matter
Middle aged folk matter
Womens safety matters
Saving the planet matters
Pus matters.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

You're failing to differentiate between not participating and actively deprecating.
It's true some people don't believe it will work or that it's the best way to achieve the objective but they don't boo others who participate.
Why boo?
Zaha doesn't.

Actually I am differentiating, if you remember I posted above I wasn't a boo-er.

Your post I responded too said and I paraphrase if they don't support the movement, which I take you to mean taking the knee for BLM then they have another 'motivation' which I suspect is your way of implying racism.

My point being you can be booing the gesture as being an empty one and not be booing it simply as being a racist.

Fwiw I find it hard to believe any racist will stop being so because a bunch of footballers go through a 'ritual' before a match.

Seems Wilf probably thinks the same way too.

Do you think taking the knee for evermore will end racism?

Do you think stopping taking the knee will lead to more racism?

If it is neither and they've been doing it for a year or more now, then what exactly is the point of continuing to do so?

If people haven't got the message and understood it by now then they never will.

Which is the point Zaha has made - it has lost its meaning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum