Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.

+4
wanderlust
Sgt. Bash
Michael Bolton
Hipster_Nebula
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sat Oct 27 2012, 21:01

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Having taken the lead we should have gone onto secure a point at the very least," says Phillips

Jimmy Phillips was left to reflect on an afternoon of missed opportunities against Middlesbrough, as his three-game stint as interim boss came to an end at the Riverside Stadium.

After taking a first-half lead through Chung-Yong Lee, his first goal in 18 months, the hosts turned the game on its head following two goals after the interval from Scott McDonald.

Speaking in his post-match press, Phillips said: “At 1-0 we certainly had the opportunities to increase our lead, but we didn't take them.

“Middlesbrough came back strongly in the second half and it was always going to be difficult for us when they pulled it back to 1-1.

“In the second half they went more direct with their play, looking for the taller strikers.

“We looked to counter that, but we need to develop a ruthless streak and tighten up defensively.

“The players are all disappointed, as having taken the lead we should have gone onto secure a point at the very least.

“Our fans were fantastic again today and I would like to thank them for their support – we have really appreciated it. I’d also like to thank Sammy and Julian who have been tremendous.

“The players have responded to what we have asked them to do and we have really enjoyed working with them.

“Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed our three games looking after the first team. Obviously I am disappointed not to add to our points tally.

“Hopefully we have improved the team and we would have loved to have handed over to Dougie on the back of a win, but it wasn't to be.”

No you haven't Jimmy, but thanks non the less!

2JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sat Oct 27 2012, 21:51

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

JP thanks for nothing.

3JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sat Oct 27 2012, 23:35

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

He hasn't improved the team as you'd need a transfer window to do that. But him, Sammy & Julian have started to rebuild the off-field foundations that Big Sam set up here and Owen Coyle tore down. 1 good win, 1 good draw and 1 upsetting, but expected lose. I'm happy with Jimmy & co's work and I hope Dougie can build on it.

4JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 12:47

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mauling? Really?

5JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 12:59

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Boon post :-

'He hasn't improved the team as you'd need a transfer window to do that'.

Rubbish. Teams improve, individual players improve. That's what managers are for.

6JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 13:07

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

chipbutty wrote:Boon post :-

'He hasn't improved the team as you'd need a transfer window to do that'.

Rubbish. Teams improve, individual players improve. That's what managers are for.

I bet you believe in God, and if you pray enough, David N'Gog will turn into Nicholas Anelka right?

Let's be real here, the manager picks the team, picks the formation, picks the tactics, supervises coaches and the training regime and in most cases he buys and sells the players.

He does not wave a magic wand and make shit players good. So, as I said, the team will only improve if the crap players are dropped and/or sold and new, better players are bought it (or promoted from the youth teams).

7JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 13:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:

You can't polish a turd. José Mourinho couldn't turn this bunch into a decent team.

8JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 13:19

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jay Jay Okocha couldn't get a game in Germany. He'd lost his mojo completely, stifled by a system that demanded discipline. Arrives at Bolton, gets smoke blown up his ass by the fat boy and is given a free role. All of a sudden he's - well the best player in the prem. Now Jay Jay always had the talent as did many of the cast-offs that Sam picked up including Youri, Ivan and Hierro but all they needed was a boost in confidence and a system that suited them. Our current squad doesn't have that kind of talent, but they could more easily reach their potential if the manager stopped trying to shoehorn them into a rigid system and played to their strengths a bit more.

9JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 13:21

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Hmm. a bit of over reaction to my post if I may say so.

Of course a manager can't turn a poor player into a good (or even decent one) but to suggest that players once they have reached a certain age cannot improve is something I cannot agree with.

The evidence is there (can't be bothered looking it up) that a new manager can bring dramatic changes to a club.

PS, I'm not sure if I believe in God or not.

Is the universe created by some unknown intelligence (God) or is it a self-creating, something out nothing event that just happened and runs like clock-work. Then on balance I'm going with the God theory. But of course this is the big question.

Last edited by chipbutty on Sun Oct 28 2012, 13:33; edited 1 time in total

10JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 13:29

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:

Of course a manager can't turn a poor player into a good (or even decent one) but to suggest that players once they have reached a certain age cannot improve is something I cannot agree with.

Surely though a professional footballer should be able to pass a ball, control a ball and score from 3 yards? None of this team can do any of those.

11JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 13:32

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

chipbutty wrote:Hmm. a bit of over reaction to my post if I may say so.

I offered an opinion, you offered yours, I countered yours, Tasha agreed with me, Wanderlust added his 2p... That's how an opinion forum works my friend. If you think my bringing religion into this is OTT. Fair enough, but I think it's a good analogy.

(No offense intended to religious people of course, believe what you like! santa)

12JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 13:37

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Boon, I was editing my post when you added your last bit.

Not sure if you've seen my latest offering.

13JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 13:43

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

chipbutty wrote:Boon, I was editing my post when you added your last bit.

Not sure if you've seen my latest offering.

I hadn't seen it and having read it and can only say that I believe in science but I do respect that people have the right to believe what they like. Even if it is a bit fanciful.

I will say though, Big Sam took the science approach to managing Bolton and Owen Coyle took the "let's just believe in ourselves" approach to managing Bolton.

One worked Wink

14JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 14:13

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Boon, kind of youto respect the right to believe what I like.

As I said this creation thing is thee question and doesn't get discussed enough.

As we're on the subject I will repeat that I don't know if there is a god or not. I'm not against the possibility.

The alternative, that the universe just happened out of nothing and is so precise is, to use your expression more fanciful.

15JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 14:23

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

... and god came from...?

16JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 14:51

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

And god came from?

Exactly, we don't know, the human brain is far to feeble to understand. It's like expecting a dog to understand Einstein.

Humans are massively arrogant (not you personally Hip) in thinking that because we cannot comprehend it, it cannot be.

17JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 15:03

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

chipbutty wrote:The alternative, that the universe just happened out of nothing and is so precise is, to use your expression more fanciful.

The Universe is everything, including time. To have nothing, there needs to be something. Something and nothing only exist because of the Universe, which is everything, including time.

I learnt that from a Stephen Hawking documentary! Clever bloke.

18JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 15:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

OK I'll explain God for you. If we accept time and relative time as a dimension then in the beginning there was nothing - as dimensions are finite, regardless of how difficult they are to measure.

Therefore is we accept time, something was created out of nothing thereby requiring a self-creating creative force aka God.

If we don't accept time as a dimension, i.e. time is a relative concept within infinite time then God (the creative force) has always been.

So either way God is the creative/destructive force i.e. the creator of change.

Discuss Smile

19JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 15:20

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

To think this thread was originally about Jimmy Phillips post match interview! I opened a can of worms when I bought religion into this!

20JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling.  Empty Re: JP's Thoughts on Boro mauling. Sun Oct 28 2012, 15:34

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:And god came from?

Exactly, we don't know, the human brain is far to feeble to understand. It's like expecting a dog to understand Einstein.

Humans are massively arrogant (not you personally Hip) in thinking that because we cannot comprehend it, it cannot be.

I think the arrogance comes on the side of the religious, who say "I KNOW." (not talking about you personally btw)

You wont find any scientists who say that.

I think life is much more likely to have come from panspermia, it would certainly explain the cambrian explosion, without any need for supernatural explanations.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum