Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Only 10 points off the play offs...

+13
rammywhite
terenceanne
aaron_bwfc
BoltonTillIDie
Hipster_Nebula
Leeds_Trotter
Boggersbelief
observer
JonnyRandom
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Sgt. Bash
Michael Bolton
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

41Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 13:50

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good things come to those who wait and all that.

42Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 14:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

Im in two minds about it, sure there would be some investment if we were to, but we'd be in danger of getting battered most weeks and coming straight back down.

The whole point of football is to win matches and reach the highest level. I can't understand anyone who says they are happy NOT to go up.

43Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 14:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I wouldn't mind going up with what we've got seeing that there's been a lot of investment in youth and we performed OK against Sunderland and Everton, but to get there we would pretty much have to take the Championship by storm from this position and I can't see us doing it with the current cautious approach of "containment" that DF has adopted.

It has certainly reduced our vulnerability at the back, but at some point we would need to put faith in our defence and start going at the opposition from the start if we're going to have a real go at promotion. We aren't even doing that at home, let alone away games.

Totally agree it was necessary to stop the rot, but there's a big difference between not being a soft touch defensively and being a team that puts the fear of God into the opposition.

44Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 14:40

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

It has certainly reduced our vulnerability at the back, but at some point we would need to put faith in our defence and start going at the opposition from the start if we're going to have a real go at promotion. We aren't even doing that at home, let alone away games.

All I ask is that for the next three games we go out to win games, and not to hold on for draws. Ok, if it backfires I understand caution, but if we could get some confidence and momentum behind us we could push up this league.

45Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 14:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

All I ask is that for the next three games we go out to win games, and not to hold on for draws. Ok, if it backfires I understand caution, but if we could get some confidence and momentum behind us we could push up this league.

Confidence and momentum can do wonders. Don't think DF has ever planned to "hold on for draws" - he turns to the subs bench when we need a goal - but if he was less cautious from the off we might not be in that position.

We're not out of the woods yet, so I can understand that he will be reticent to abandon his approach soon, but I agree - it would be nice if we had a real go and see where it gets us. If we start leaking soft goals again we can always revert to cautious containment and all that it brings.

46Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 14:58

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Of course getting promoted would help the club. There is absolutely no scenario where getting promoted could be a bad thing.

This is like last year when people started saying it would be good for us to get relegated and 'rebuild'. Id rather be rebuilding in the Premier League.

Id also rather be 17th in the Premier League than 1st in the Championship.

47Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 16:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:Of course getting promoted would help the club. There is absolutely no scenario where getting promoted could be a bad thing.

This is like last year when people started saying it would be good for us to get relegated and 'rebuild'. Id rather be rebuilding in the Premier League.

I have to agree but with the caveat that as a fan it's nice to think that the club is going in the right direction, building something for the future and having a few wins every now and then - none of which was really happening last season. We seemed to be stagnated and stuck with underperforming expensive players whilst sinking further into debt. Now that Coyle has axed the wage bill, and he and DF have started to put more sustainable foundations into place I'd prefer to be in the prem with that kind of setup.

48Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 16:16

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Good attitude! Love it!

49Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 16:46

Lofty_Love wrote:Of course getting promoted would help the club. There is absolutely no scenario where getting promoted could be a bad thing.

You're right, but I'd like to get up and stay up, if that means one more year in the championship then I'm fine with that.

Last season was the worst I've experienced as a fan, partly frustration at Coyle's ineptitude and partly because of the complete lack of fight the team showed. I want to see us build long term now so we can re-establish ourselves in the prem.

50Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 17:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What I'd really like is for the team to go on a winning streak, playing great attacking football, dominating all challengers, getting promoted and competing with a chance of winning games in the premiership for many seasons to come - all on a sustainable budget made possible by unearthing wondrous new talent that the money clubs have missed.

Is that asking too much?

51Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Mon Feb 11 2013, 18:58

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Win the next three games then who knows, the missing piece in the jigsaw in self belief.

52Only 10 points off the play offs... - Page 3 Empty Re: Only 10 points off the play offs... Wed Feb 13 2013, 01:02

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Even if we win the next game the best we can do is move up the table one or two slots ...so don't all excited just because we squeaked the Burnely game. Our best winning streak on the season is 1
Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum