Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which Bolton Players, Former or Current deserve Legend Status

+9
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
Copper Dragon
Lofty_Love
Reebok Trotter
Triumph
Bernard Dennis Park
Natasha Whittam
Reebok_Rebel
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Following on from the Bibi thread, which players deserve the title of Legend with the club.

I know obviously there will be some joke one's which is great but in my eye's the number one legend will always be "sir" Nat.

Followed by McGinlay and Bergsson

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Modern 'greats' along with the ones mentioned above are...

Ricky G and Super Kev.

Jussi nearly made the list but jumped ship to go and bum Big Sam, so for that he loses his legend status.

Reebok_Rebel wrote:Modern 'greats' along with the ones mentioned above are...

Ricky G and Super Kev.

Jussi nearly made the list but jumped ship to go and bum Big Sam, so for that he loses his legend status.

See i'm not sure on Bibi, i know opinion is split on the other thread, but he never really did anything "outstanding" for the club.

Super Kev i could agree with, because when we was in our prime in the PL our whole style of play was built around him and effectively implemented.

And i know what you mean about Jussi but again i would argue a player that cost us £100,000 to buy and stayed with us 11 seasons, and again was a prime player involved in one of the most successful periods for the club would be suited to the Legend Tag.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In my lifetime probably only McGinlay and Gudni. Andy Walker & Keith Branagan come close.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:

See i'm not sure on Bibi, i know opinion is split on the other thread, but he never really did anything "outstanding" for the club.

Correct. Gardner was a decent player but he didn't score loads of goals, create loads of chances or defend like a rock. He simply stuck around for 10 years or so. But he was being paid big money to do it.

We have an Accountant at our place who has been here 12 years - does that make him a legend?

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

In my time watching us only Super John and Gudni are legends imo.

Loads come close like Kevin Davies, Jussi, Ivan Campo, Jay Jay, Youri, Ricardo.

Andy Walker would've been a legend if he'd stayed a bit longer.

Natasha Whittam wrote:
y2johnny wrote:

Correct. Gardner was a decent player but he didn't score loads of goals, create loads of chances or defend like a rock. He simply stuck around for 10 years or so. But he was being paid big money to do it.

We have an Accountant at our place who has been here 12 years - does that make him a legend?

exactly my point, which is why i would class Davies as a legend as our whole play was built around him for a good few seasons. unfortunately with the way the team is now and his legs not being like they used to be i feel his status is becoming smoewhat tarnished but he has been a great ambassador and servant to the club who has made a huge impact for us at a time when we were enjoying a golden age!

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

y2johnny wrote:

Ricky G and Super Kev.

Super Kev i could agree with, because when we was in our prime in the PL our whole style of play was built around him and effectively implemented.

And i know what you mean about Jussi but again i would argue a player that cost us £100,000 to buy and stayed with us 11 seasons, and again was a prime player involved in one of the most successful periods for the club would be suited to the Legend Tag.

For me a 'legend' has to be more than just a good player - Cahill and anelka where good players but not legends.

There are lots of players I 'liked' - El hadji Diouf for instance, but he does not have legend status for me.

Its more about the players relationship with the fans and the bigger picture for me.

Kevin Davies fits the bill perfectly as a 'modern legend' - long time at the club, will probably retire here, lives in the town, does a lot of charity work, has never slated the club or its fans, always has time for the fans when he is seen out etc.

Id stick Ivan Campo in the same list as well for the same reasons.

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
y2johnny wrote:

Ricky G and Super Kev.

For me a 'legend' has to be more than just a good player - Cahill and anelka where good players but not legends.

There are lots of players I 'liked' - El hadji Diouf for instance, but he does not have legend status for me.

Its more about the players relationship with the fans and the bigger picture for me.

Kevin Davies fits the bill perfectly as a 'modern legend' - long time at the club, will probably retire here, lives in the town, does a lot of charity work, has never slated the club or its fans, always has time for the fans when he is seen out etc.

Id stick Ivan Campo in the same list as well for the same reasons.

Hi RR, we must of hit submit at the same time about Davies, completely agree with you

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

y2johnny wrote:Following on from the Bibi thread, which players deserve the title of Legend with the club.

I know obviously there will be some joke one's which is great but in my eye's the number one legend will always be "sir" Nat.

Did anyone on here actually see Lofthouse play? I didn't and watched them in the 1960s, modern times has to be Super John.

Triumph wrote:
y2johnny wrote:Following on from the Bibi thread, which players deserve the title of Legend with the club.

Did anyone on here actually see Lofthouse play? I didn't and watched them in the 1960s, modern times has to be Super John.

Not live in person no, but i have my 58 dvd of the cup final and have read his autobiography. Wink

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

If people can class Kevin Davies (I dont) as a legend then you have to consider the likes of Eddie Hopkinson Peter Reid Wyn Davies Francis Lee Freddie Hill all internationals.

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

y2johnny wrote:
Triumph wrote:

Not live in person no, but i have my 58 dvd of the cup final and have read his autobiography. Wink
I am sure he was/is a legend it was just a question, was he as good as we read?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Triumph wrote: I am sure he was/is a legend it was just a question, was he as good as we read?

Too lightweight.

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Triumph wrote:I am sure he was/is a legend it was just a question, was he as good as we read?

His goals for Bolton and England suggest he was.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Anyone who would not class Kevin Davies as one of the clubs all time greats is not a true bolton fan IMO.

Strong statement I know, but he personified everything I love about Bolton Wanderers during our modern 'glory' years.

Slowing down now and not as much use as he used to be, but sweats blood for the cause. Im pretty sure it was him to led the players after megson had totally lost control of the dressing room...

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Reebok_Rebel wrote:Anyone who would not class Kevin Davies as one of the clubs all time greats is not a true bolton fan IMO.

Strong statement I know, but he personified everything I love about Bolton Wanderers during our modern 'glory' years.

Slowing down now and not as much use as he used to be, but sweats blood for the cause. Im pretty sure it was him to led the players after megson had totally lost control of the dressing room...
Now thats a different message, all time great maybe but not a Legend sorry.

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:
Triumph wrote:I am sure he was/is a legend it was just a question, was he as good as we read?

His goals for Bolton and England suggest he was.

i'm sure he was, i remember doing GCSE coursework on Nat which was about the time i read his autobiography and he had a better goal to game ratio than quite a few people who are held as legend status by his club. Not to mention the faxct he would go and work down a pit in the early hours in the morning, have a couple of pints and then put on the white shirt for us! (sometimes with splashes of red such was his cause for us!)

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Triumph wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:Anyone who would not class Kevin Davies as one of the clubs all time greats is not a true bolton fan IMO.

Now thats a different message, all time great maybe but not a Legend sorry.

How?

and why not?

A legend is somebody who has a long standing service and an admiration for the club and its fans.

Kevin Davies has put his head on the line in the past for us.

How can you say Super John Is a legend but not Kevin Davies?

Nat will always be a cut above anyone else at the club - without a doubt, nobody comes close, hence why he has a statue, but to say Super Kev is not a legend is wrong.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Shut up you bellend. If Kevin Davies had been sold two or three seasons ago you might be right - but the last couple of seasons have diluted his status amongst Bolton fans. He's been shite.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum