Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which Bolton Players, Former or Current deserve Legend Status

+9
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
Copper Dragon
Lofty_Love
Reebok Trotter
Triumph
Bernard Dennis Park
Natasha Whittam
Reebok_Rebel
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Reebok Trotter wrote:That's what I meant. If we are judging players for their longevity at Bolton then there are not all that many that fit the criteria.

He played well and I liked him but someone who plays 20 games for us can't be classed as a legend imo.

It's just because he was a big name that people say he's a Bolton legend.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Vincent Candela was another top quality player who only played a few games for us but he oozed class.

What about Eidur Gudjohnssen? He had his best spell when he played for us. He went on to play for Chelsea and Barca but the promise he showed at Bolton never came to fruition.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Reebok Trotter wrote:.

What about Eidur Gudjohnssen?

Not a legend.

Ran off for more money and never really 'loved' us in the way a 'legend' should.

amazing player, but far from a legend.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The thing about this topic is that it is very subjective. We all have our own favourites for one reason or another. Kevin Nolan was one of my favourite players simply because he always had a good work ethnic. Not the most talented player but he made up for it with his enthusiasm and never say die attitude.

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

People like Barry Cowdrill, David Burke, Mike Whitlow and Simon Charlton are bigger Bolton legends than Vincent Candela.

And I'm not joking btw.

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Triumph wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:Anyone who would not class Kevin Davies as one of the clubs all time greats is not a true bolton fan IMO.

Strong statement I know, but he personified everything I love about Bolton Wanderers during our modern 'glory' years.

Slowing down now and not as much use as he used to be, but sweats blood for the cause. Im pretty sure it was him to led the players after megson had totally lost control of the dressing room...
Now thats a different message, all time great maybe but not a Legend sorry.

How?

and why not?

A legend is somebody who has a long standing service and an admiration for the club and its fans.

Kevin Davies has put his head on the line in the past for us.

How can you say Super John Is a legend but not Kevin Davies?

Nat will always be a cut above anyone else at the club - without a doubt, nobody comes close, hence why he has a statue, but to say Super Kev is not a legend is wrong.
Kev has been good maybe great but never good enoth to call a legend, anyway we always sell our GREAT players and I am sure had the offers come in he would have gone.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Triumph wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Triumph wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:Anyone who would not class Kevin Davies as one of the clubs all time greats is not a true bolton fan IMO.

Strong statement I know, but he personified everything I love about Bolton Wanderers during our modern 'glory' years.

Slowing down now and not as much use as he used to be, but sweats blood for the cause. Im pretty sure it was him to led the players after megson had totally lost control of the dressing room...

How?

and why not?

A legend is somebody who has a long standing service and an admiration for the club and its fans.

Nat will always be a cut above anyone else at the club - without a doubt, nobody comes close, hence why he has a statue, but to say Super Kev is not a legend is wrong.
Kev has been good maybe great but never good enoth to call a legend, anyway we always sell our GREAT players and I am sure had the offers come in he would have gone.

You Dont get it do you...

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Triumph wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Triumph wrote:

How?

and why not?

You Dont get it do you...
Of course I do but at the end of the day it's just an opinion, Legend is not an official status.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok_Rebel wrote:

In the same kind of light, we could say Big Sam is a legend, however the way he treated us and the utter contempt he has shown since leaving us makes him just above 'Sewer Rat' in my opinion...

"I have to say there wasn't much feeling when Blackburn were relegated because of the way they treated me," he told the People.

"Bolton is a different story because I left them and I only did that because of their lack of ambition. Everyone knows how much the club means to me and always will, so I was saddened by their relegation."

So much contempt

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Lofty_Love wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

In the same kind of light, we could say Big Sam is a legend, however the way he treated us and the utter contempt he has shown since leaving us makes him just above 'Sewer Rat' in my opinion...

"I have to say there wasn't much feeling when Blackburn were relegated because of the way they treated me," he told the People.

"Bolton is a different story because I left them and I only did that because of their lack of ambition. Everyone knows how much the club means to me and always will, so I was saddened by their relegation."

So much contempt

Ok then. il upgrade him to Dog...

He still left us saying he wanted a break and never had one.

He left because he thought he was bigger than the club - he lied to us and went to Newcastle within a week.

saying nice things since then does not make him a legend - he still fucked us over.

Sorry but I loved him until he left us. Gartside should have fucked off instead.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

'Did anyone on here actually see Lofthouse play?'

I would have thought that Banks Of The Croal would be close if not actually seeing him.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofthouse is an national team legend never mind a Bolton legend.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Boggersbelief wrote:Lofthouse is an national team legend never mind a Bolton legend.

No hes not, From Nats Era (mid last century) only West Ham players and Man united players involved in the Munich air disaster get any recognition ...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat Lofthouse isn't a legend to me as I never saw him play.

I don't see how anyone can call someone a legend without seeing them play. No one would call The Beatles legends if they'd never heard their music.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:Nat Lofthouse isn't a legend to me as I never saw him play.

I don't see how anyone can call someone a legend without seeing them play. No one would call The Beatles legends if they'd never heard their music.

This is a Valid point actually.

Ive Met Nat Lofthouse at a charity do a few years ago - he was a true gent, a proper approachable, down to earth type bloke really.

But i never saw him play, so I suppose I cant call him a legend.

I do however, KNOW he is one...

so he is...

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Nat Lofthouse isn't a legend to me as I never saw him play.

You don't have to see him play to realise he is a Bwfc legend.

Stats don't lie. Just look at how many games he played and the amount of goals he scored, couple that with they way older fans talk of him and the iconic photos of him, it doesn't take a genius.

He's also got a stand named after him, the club mascot is named after him an he's getting his own statue outside the ground.

Of course the guys a legend.

Since1945 which ENGLISH PLAYER HAS the best goals per game ratio after 20 or more caps.

Bobby Charlton got 49 in 106, 46%. Nat Lofthouse got 30 in 33 games, 90%. Gary Lineker got 48 in 80 games an impressive 60%. Hurst 24 in 49, 48%.

shamefully copied and pasted but just shows he was a legend for england as well as for us.

And for us it was 250 from 400 appearances. (there or there abouts i can't remember that exact figure.)

plus forget these players that are with us 5-10 years being classed as legends, he was a player for 21 years and not to mention the rest of the positions he held in the club.

LEGEND whether we ahve seen him play or not

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Come on chaps, football was a different game in Lofthouse's era - he wouldn't get in Barnet's team today.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:Come on chaps, football was a different game in Lofthouse's era - he wouldn't get in Barnet's team today.

Nat please Dont start wumming.

Not over this anyway - Nat Lofthouse IS a true legend full stop.

Football was different back then - there was no sports scientists and fitness levels were not the same - players where real men who worked as well as playing football.

As far as the level goes from back then - Nat was the best of the best.

people may look back on messi in 50 years time and wonder what the fuck all the fuss was about...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I am not saying Lofthouse isn't a legend, I understand why to most Bolton fans he is.

But you can't compare his international scoring record with that of, say, Gary Lineker.

Lofthouse was playing in an era of football where very little football was actually played, and the opposition generally woeful. Most international games had at least 6 goals.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum