Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which Bolton Players, Former or Current deserve Legend Status

+9
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
Copper Dragon
Lofty_Love
Reebok Trotter
Triumph
Bernard Dennis Park
Natasha Whittam
Reebok_Rebel
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:I am not saying Lofthouse isn't a legend, I understand why to most Bolton fans he is.

But you can't compare his international scoring record with that of, say, Gary Lineker.

Lofthouse was playing in an era of football where very little football was actually played, and the opposition generally woeful. Most international games had at least 6 goals.

think you need to check the facts Nat...

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Facts are 30 goals in 33 games for England - Lineker or anyone else for that matter never got anywhere near that gpg ratio.

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Didn't Tommy Lawton have a slightly better record?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Sir Nat was undoubtedly a legend, (hence the unofficial title), but until he became one, was a hero. Although he didn't hit the heights as much, I think Mcginlay was a smaller legend, but a legend nevertheless. I also believe SKD will be a legend, but not until he stops playing. At the moment he's a hero, and one who still gives his all to the club, both on and off the park. A legend in the making.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Facts are 30 goals in 33 games for England - Lineker or anyone else for that matter never got anywhere near that gpg ratio.

I'm not debating facts, I'm putting them in context.

I've watched loads of old videos from games in the 40's and 50's and it's amazing how awful the goalkeepers were. Really awful.

Kevin Davies would probably have scored 100 goals in 50 games for England in the 50s.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Not with the balls weighing as much as they did, and not with the boots they had to kick them

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Not with the balls weighing as much as they did, and not with the boots they had to kick them

You have an advantage, you were there tongue

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

SKD and Jussi for me.

paddybwfc

paddybwfc
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

The Lion of Vienna tells you he was not just a legend for Bolton but England too, how many other players have been given a name like that? Georgie the Belfast boy ....... not even in the same league. Roy Greaves and Eddie Hopikinson in that
order.

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Jussi, Kevin Davies and Gudni. Per Frandsen played allot of games for us didn't he? Maybe he should be included.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum