Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which Bolton Players, Former or Current deserve Legend Status

+9
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
Copper Dragon
Lofty_Love
Reebok Trotter
Triumph
Bernard Dennis Park
Natasha Whittam
Reebok_Rebel
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:Anyone who would not class Kevin Davies as one of the clubs all time greats is not a true bolton fan IMO.

Strong statement I know, but he personified everything I love about Bolton Wanderers during our modern 'glory' years.

Shut up you bellend. If Kevin Davies had been sold two or three seasons ago you might be right - but the last couple of seasons have diluted his status amongst Bolton fans. He's been shite.

Hi Natasha, that was my point above, that due to the recent performances etc his reputation has become tarnished but when we had our golden age under big sam he was at the centre of everything for us. not a natural goal scorer but put his mind and body on the line for us every game.

I think like said above, the only comparison is Nat and nobody has come close to him especially in modern times, but where should the bar be set, wha should the criteria be to be classed as a legend?

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:Anyone who would not class Kevin Davies as one of the clubs all time greats is not a true bolton fan IMO.

Strong statement I know, but he personified everything I love about Bolton Wanderers during our modern 'glory' years.

Shut up you bellend. If Kevin Davies had been sold two or three seasons ago you might be right - but the last couple of seasons have diluted his status amongst Bolton fans. He's been shite.

He still tries the hardest out of any of our squad.

Its not his fault hes older and slower - Freedman keeps playing him, what do you want him to do fucking stand there or throw a prima-donna fanny strop like ballotelli?

Last edited by Reebok_Rebel on Fri Feb 22 2013, 11:38; edited 1 time in total

Triumph wrote:If people can class Kevin Davies (I dont) as a legend then you have to consider the likes of Eddie Hopkinson Peter Reid Wyn Davies Francis Lee Freddie Hill all internationals.

Hi Triumph, just wanted to come back to this as i don't think playing for your country should automatically class you as a legend with your club. (michael ricketts anyone?)

Especially not Franny Lee, but that is for personal reasons, toss pot! (Franny lee not you triumph!)

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:

He still tries the hardest out of any of our squad.

Its not his fault hes older and slower - Freedman keeps playing him, what do you want him to do fucking stand there?

Hi Rebel

This thread is about legends - it doesn't matter why he's gone shite, he just has. And the episode with his missus hasn't help what people think of him. The ponce.

Last edited by Natasha Whittam on Fri Feb 22 2013, 11:38; edited 1 time in total

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

It's a close call imo.

Kevin Davies is one of my favourite players ever. Great player for us.

Is Per Frandsen a legend then? Or Alan Thompson even?

We could name loads and loads of players who have been really good for us but I'm not sure that makes them a legend.

I might change my mind though.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:It's a close call imo.

We could name loads and loads of players who have been really good for us but I'm not sure that makes them a legend.

Hi Bernard

Per Frandsen played for Blackburn so he isn't eligible for legendary status. Ditto Youri.

See is it a personal opinion or should we se criteria?

Thanks for bringing Per Frandsen up though, he was one of my all time favourites to wear a white shirt. I was on holiday in spain when he re-signed for us from the dingles and made the whole shit holiday a lot better!

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Hi Bernard

Per Frandsen played for Blackburn so he isn't eligible for legendary status. Ditto Youri.

Didn't we actually make money though when we got him back?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:

It didn't stop his sixth finger growing.

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hi Bernard

Hi Peter

Bill Ridding who was the manager when we won the cup in 58 played for Tranmere and the dmb's. Can he not be a legend then?

Natasha Whittam wrote:
y2johnny wrote:

It didn't stop his sixth finger growing.

lol!

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hi Bernard

Hi Peter

Bill Ridding who was the manager when we won the cup in 58 played for Tranmere and the dmb's. Can he not be a legend then?

Another good point, is there any managers who could be classed as legends?

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hi Bernard

Hi Peter

In the same kind of light, we could say Big Sam is a legend, however the way he treated us and the utter contempt he has shown since leaving us makes him just above 'Sewer Rat' in my opinion...

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

y2johnny wrote:
Another good point, is there any managers who could be classed as legends?

In my time watching us Bruce Rioch.

Charles Foweraker for winning the cup 3 times in the 20's.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yeah, definitely Rioch for waking the club up and giving us days that will never be beaten.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat Lofthouse ( though I never saw him play.) Likewise Freddie Hill, Johny Byrom and Eddie Hopkinson.

More recently, Roy Greaves,John Ritson, Gerry Taggart, Paul Jones, Frank Worthington, Kevin Davies, Keith Branagan, Gudni, Per, Michael Johannsen, Super John, Jay Jay, Jussi, Hierro, Campo, Djorkaeff.

I know some of the players mentioned didn't stay with us all that long but they certainly entertained us and are all legends in my eyes.

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I liked Hierro but what did he do to become a Bolton legend?

A legendary player but not for anything he did with us.

He only played about 20 something games didn't he?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Nat Lofthouse ( though I never saw him play.) Likewise Freddie Hill, Johny Byrom and Eddie Hopkinson.

More recently, Roy Greaves,John Ritson, Gerry Taggart, Paul Jones, Frank Worthington, Kevin Davies, Keith Branagan, Gudni, Per, Michael Johannsen, Super John, Jay Jay, Jussi, Hierro, Campo, Djorkaeff.

I know some of the players mentioned didn't stay with us all that long but they certainly entertained us and are all legends in my eyes.

Easily pleased.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's what I meant. If we are judging players for their longevity at Bolton then there are not all that many that fit the criteria.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:Nat Lofthouse ( though I never saw him play.) Likewise Freddie Hill, Johny Byrom and Eddie Hopkinson.

Easily pleased.

Maybe so. But if we had all those players playing for us at the same time they would make one helluva team.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum