Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ngog and Sordell not good enough - Official(ish)

+12
Michael Bolton
Tigermin
Dinae Moe Humm
Norpig
scottjames30
waynagain
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
josh31
Bernard Dennis Park
wanderlust
Sluffy
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dinae Moe Humm wrote:

Except that our best run of form and results came around the turn of the year in a 4-5-1 with Ngog up top. Then Coyle inexplicably brought SKD back into the team and played a 4-4-2 when we were then beaten at home against Wigan. I honestly believe that if Ngog was played instead of SKD we'd have had a better chance of staying up.

So what about last season?

Dinae Moe Humm

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Dinae Moe Humm wrote:

Except that our best run of form and results came around the turn of the year in a 4-5-1 with Ngog up top. Then Coyle inexplicably brought SKD back into the team and played a 4-4-2 when we were then beaten at home against Wigan. I honestly believe that if Ngog was played instead of SKD we'd have had a better chance of staying up.

Well, I don't think anyone could argue he was better than SKD and if hadn't dislocated his shoulder he would have featured heavily in the run in and we may have had that little extra needed to make the play offs.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Dinae Moe Humm wrote:

I can't remember him ever being asked to play striker last season.
He was asked to run around a lot.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Ngog is useless. He doesn't help the defence, he doesn't create chances, he doesn't score.

Effective hold up play is key from a defensive point of view and is a fundamental part of a team creating chances. So Ngog helps the defence and plays a key role in chances being created, whether or not he supplies the final ball.

Also, we've already established that he scored more last season than the top scorer of the league's best team. Stop saying "he doesn't score".

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

Also, we've already established that he scored more last season than the top scorer of the league's best team. Stop saying "he doesn't score".

That really is a poor reason for persisting with him. Unlike Cardiff we don't have several other players getting past 10 goals.

Dinae Moe Humm

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:

That really is a poor reason for persisting with him. Unlike Cardiff we don't have several other players getting past 10 goals.

Idiot. They didn't have a singe player get 10 goals.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dinae Moe Humm wrote:[

So we're basing the whole argument on Cardiff City?

I'd be interested to know how many of the top 10 didn't have a striker get past 10 goals.

I'd also hazard a guess that very few teams have got out of the Championship with no striker getting to 10 goals.

Dinae Moe Humm

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Dinae Moe Humm wrote:[

So we're basing the whole argument on Cardiff City?

I'd be interested to know how many of the top 10 didn't have a striker get past 10 goals.

I'd also hazard a guess that very few teams have got out of the Championship with no striker getting to 10 goals.

Well..there's Hull. So that's the top 2 teams this season, and no it's not the basis of the whole argument but just pointing out that to have a 20 goal a season striker is a necessity is a myth, and that because he doesn't score 20 goals a season that Ngog is a bad player is also a myth. And also that you're pulling stuff out of your arse to support your own claims.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dinae Moe Humm wrote:

Well..there's Hull. So that's the top 2 teams this season, and no it's not the basis of the whole argument but just pointing out that to have a 20 goal a season striker is a necessity is a myth, and that because he doesn't score 20 goals a season that Ngog is a bad player is also a myth. And also that you're pulling stuff out of your arse to support your own claims.

So, in fact, the VAST MAJORITY of teams pushing for promotion have a player that has scored 15 or 20 goals?

If we'd had Kevin Phillips last season we'd have been in the play-offs. Goals win matches more than holding the ball up and passing to the opposition as Ngog usually did.

It's a long time since we've had a striker who could score, it's about time we found one. I don't care what you say, a 20 goal striker puts one foot in the play-offs before a ball is kicked.

Dinae Moe Humm

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Dinae Moe Humm wrote:

So, in fact, the VAST MAJORITY of teams pushing for promotion have a player that has scored 15 or 20 goals?

If we'd had Kevin Phillips last season we'd have been in the play-offs. Goals win matches more than holding the ball up and passing to the opposition as Ngog usually did.

It's a long time since we've had a striker who could score, it's about time we found one. I don't care what you say, a 20 goal striker puts one foot in the play-offs before a ball is kicked.

Well...you can say the' vast majority' if you like, but again you're pulling it out of your arse. Of the teams to finish in the top half (I went that far to be generous in regards your term of 'teams pushing for promotion) 4 of those 12 had a player score 15+ goals. This equates to 33.33%, which is not remotely close to being a vast majority, it is in fact a minority.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:

It's not my reason for persisting with him. Not in isolation anyhow. I just think saying "he doesn't score goals" about a player that does score goals makes you look stupid. And you wouldn't want that.

I don't think there's much weight to your counterargument here given we only scored three goals less than Cardiff all season.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree we need a striker who can score goals and can take advantage of Ngog's movement and passing, which is why I was disappointed we bought Cavies to replace SKD.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Dinae Moe Humm wrote:

If we'd had Kevin Phillips last season we'd have been in the play-offs.
If we got just one more point from any one of all those games where we threw it away last season we'd have been in the playoffs. When I think back to the number of games where we could have improved our points tally by not conceding silly goals there's a stronger case for sorting out the back than for buying another striker. Defence was our Achilles Heel for most of last season although I do agree we need a better out and out striker than SKD was at the end, andĀ CaviesĀ and Eaves were at the end of last season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum