Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you like to visit South Africa?

+7
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
gloswhite
rammywhite
Culcheth_White
Soul Kitchen
Michael Bolton
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Would you like to visit South Africa? Empty Would you like to visit South Africa? Fri Sep 27 2013, 18:54

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I just watched a programme on South Africa, god what a shit hole. It has the highest crime rates in the world, the highest unemployment in the world,  huge poverty, an AIDS epidemic, a dead economy and a corrupt government and police force.
But the crazy thing is, a lot of people talk about South Africa as a special place.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

One guy I know saw a guy shot dead in Johannesburg at a petrol station. That was about ten years ago god knows what it's like now. They are incapable of running a country.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I've thought about the idea, but I really don't think I'd sleep very well, just in case I heard a dodgy noise in the night and Oscar Pistorius came barging in to my villa on his stumps and shouted "Howzat"

A lady I work with, she owns a property in Durban and she hasn't yet encountered any problems, as her complex is very secure, I think the word secure, is a help. When she drives around, she always makes sure, her doors are locked and her windows are shut, just in case of potential carjackers.

I would like to visit Hout Bay, as I believe this resort is very nice. The problem with South Africa, is that it is pretty much divided, between poor and rich.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Strange that this thread should start now. I flew back overnight from Johannesburg where I've been working this week- for todays match believe it or not.
I go about three times a year - and I've never encountered any problems. The main problems are centred on the big cities- rural SA is safe.
It's like any big city though.
Parts of Manchester, London, Birmingham are no go areas unless you're looking for trouble. As long as you take sensible precautions its a safe place to visit.
Tourists are always targeted - but that again is the same in any large European cities where criminals are out to fleece you or steal from you.
Living there however is another issue. Although the country and the climate are great- it does have other problems that would put me off living there

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Rammy is right. I was there on holiday for over 3 weeks a couple of years ago. Never saw any trouble, all the way from Cape town, to Port Elizabeth and back to Jo'burg. The difference in the ways of living is so marked as to be almost unbelievable. My sister and family have lived there for over 40 years, and though they've seen some violence, have never been caught up in it. Its one place that I would go back to anytime, especially the coast towns. I found that if you treated the black people with the same respect as everyone else, then there shouldn't be a problem. Listen to what you're told, and you should be ok. Ifg you hae the opportunity to go, then take it.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

A long time ago i worked for a very rich man who owned farms in SA and i was out there for six months all i did was drive round in a land rover with a shotgun. He also owned a string of Tyre and van hire depots over here and a tyre export company which exported bald tyres out there which they used he also later i heard hid stuff in those casings, i guess i knew i was working for a dodgy guy but i had nothing to do with any of that, the money was good and thats all that mattered. I hated it out there wouldn't go back for anything,a shit hole. It was a big mistake to take that job as i had an nice number driving him around the country here.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I went to SA a few years back. I have to say I hated the place and couldn't wait to get back. I didn't actually see any violence, but always had the feeling it was just around the corner.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I still have a mate out there, he's a large animal vet and he worked over here for awhile he wanted me to go out there for his wedding even offered to pay for our flights but i wouldn't go. Its ok where he is but no way, he grew up in pretoria and he loves his country calls it gods country reckons the garden of eden was there.He keeps away from the towns and cities and he's told me some awful tales of what white cops got up to.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Been to South Africa a few times when I was younger. Stayed in Cape Town and in Durban and also visited Kruger National Park for a week. The only place of interest I never visited was Sun City. It's a beautiful country for a holiday but I wouldn't like to live there full time.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Had a great holiday

Saw plenty of violence in Kruger

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lyric Todkill wrote:

Saw plenty of violence in Kruger
Animals?

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Its one place on my list to visit but keep putting off. I have a couple of friends who have moved to SA (Jo'burg and Kaap Staad respectively)and keep meaning to visit - If I remember well Jo'burg is only a couple of hours a head of us in UK - timewise.

Time will tell whether I go or not!

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Yes to see RTs new church.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mr Magoo wrote:Yes to see RTs new church.
Well over 2,500 miles away. South Africa is in the south whereas Nigeria is more central. If this God Bothering malarky takes off then we can always expand our empire.

For anyone with the money and the time I would recommend taking the garden route with an approved tour company. You can start in Durban and work your way along the coastline stopping at East London, Port Elizabeth and Mossel Bay before you reach Cape Town. It's about 750 miles but well worth it because the views are tremendous.

I would also recommend a trip to the Drakensberg mountains as well. To see the country properly you need a month because it's a very big country.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum