Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Millwall 1-1 Bolton

+26
BoltonTillIDie
Norpig
finlaymcdanger
Bolton Nuts
gloswhite
Copper Dragon
Culcheth_White
boltonbonce
JAH
Reebok_Rebel
Whitesince63
luckyPeterpiper
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
Triumph
terenceanne
carrs
Boggersbelief
White84
scottjames30
Angry Dad
rammywhite
aaron_bwfc
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
30 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

101Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 17:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Interesting post from a Crystal Palace fan who oddly went to the game.

Palace fan wrote:Just got in from the game, fine day up London Bridge with a few beers but the Football itself was dire.

I said to so many Bolton around me it was like watching Palace from a few years ago under Freedman. He was so unbelievably negative it was painful viewing. Despite the early goal Bolton were shocking, couldn't keep the ball, couldn't even play it into the channels without it going to a Millwall full back or Dartford locals sitting in the Dockers stand. The Polish Forward looked lively for Bolton but again like two years ago with Murray in his first season he had no support whatsoever so he was limited in what he could do. They played so deep and gave Millwall so much time on the ball, I mean 39% possession against Millwall is embarrassing to say the least.

But in all credit to Holloway he has tried to get Millwall knocking the ball about, the holding midfielder they signed from MK Dons looks a good player, Williams. But all in all they just didn't have no real spark or quality to really hurt Bolton.

Today made me realize how much of a gap in quality there is between the championship and premier league. Two very poor teams who might be lucky there is teams even worse than them who will go down. If Charlton manage to win their games in hand though Millwall could be in deep trouble. The game between each other coming up at the den could be vital.

Something's however never change with Millwall's pond life support. The real Millwall support must be ashamed to see kids of 15 year old kids from Kent giving it the large. The word for them isn't even intimidating, more like cringeworthy.

A massive cry of Freedman out in the Bolton end as well, when Freedman came over to applaud the support all he got was boo's and abuse.
My Palace mate says something very similar although he also contextualises it by saying that Freedman did good work with a limited budget, especially in terms of sorting out the youth system and bringing players like Bolassie and Zaha through and dumping a lot of no-hopers.
He totally understands why Freedman was appointed as he will eventually produce and play youth team products and manage on a shoestring.
That's all well and good, but he correctly predicted that Freedman will stick to a system that only works with better players than he has - which is unrealistic, inflexible and very frustrating for everyone involved.
System looked fine last season when we were solid at the back and Eagles and Lee looked a real threat, but sticking with it this year just looks naive. His prediction for us this year is that we'll just survive - and that's based on the premise that there are 4 teams worse than we are.

102Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 18:05

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The problem is you can only work with what you've got.

Gartside wrote in his statement for the accounts that that Freedman had brought through some young players at Palace was a big selling point.

People have been conned into thinking that because Dougie gave debuts to Zaha and one or two others, he's some kind of genius at working with kids. There's no way Zaha would have rotted in the reserves had it not been for Dougie. Who's to say Dougie got the most anybody could out of him and the others?

Just because a few players came through when Dougie was manager at Palace doesn't mean the same is gonna happen here.

103Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 18:08

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

104Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 18:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:The problem is you can only work with what you've got.

Gartside wrote in his statement for the accounts that that Freedman had brought through some young players at Palace was a big selling point.

People have been conned into thinking that because Dougie gave debuts to Zaha and one or two others, he's some kind of genius at working with kids. There's no way Zaha would have rotted in the reserves had it not been for Dougie. Who's to say Dougie got the most anybody could out of him and the others?

Just because a few players came through when Dougie was manager at Palace doesn't mean the same is gonna happen here.
Dougie is certainly not one for rushing them into the squad regardless of how crap the senior players are. Definitely a stickler for the gradual introduction approach which is sure to test everyone's patience.
Point is, the Board believe that he is good at producing home grown talent rightly or wrongly which is why they are going to back him to the hilt.
And your opening sentence sums up why there is no rush to appoint a different manager in respect of the senior squad. I actually LOL'd when I read the suggestion that the useless wanker Holloway should come in.
Lots of chat and opinion about dumping Doug, but I can't see it happening unless we drop into the bottom 3 as the Board clearly believe that the longer Dougie stays, the more overpaid players he'll be able to offload, the more young players will start to come through and the more affordable signings he'll be able to make.
We'll have to hit rock bottom for him to get sacked this season. Next season is a different story though. Providing we survive and Dougie is still with us, he'll have to start producing right from the start - results and signs that the youth thing is working.

105Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 18:39

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
doffcocker wrote:The problem is you can only work with what you've got.

Dougie is certainly not one for rushing them into the squad regardless of how crap the senior players are. Definitely a stickler for the gradual introduction approach which is sure to test everyone's patience.
Point is, the Board believe that he is good at producing home grown talent rightly or wrongly which is why they are going to back him to the hilt.
And your opening sentence sums up why there is no rush to appoint a different manager in respect of the senior squad. I actually LOL'd when I read the suggestion that the useless wanker Holloway should come in.
Lots of chat and opinion about dumping Doug, but I can't see it happening unless we drop into the bottom 3 as the Board clearly believe that the longer Dougie stays, the more overpaid players he'll be able to offload, the more young players will start to come through and the more affordable signings he'll be able to make.
We'll have to hit rock bottom for him to get sacked this season. Next season is a different story though. Providing we survive and Dougie is still with us, he'll have to start producing right from the start - results and signs that the youth thing is working.

Dougie still being here has nothing to do with any of that claptrap lusty it's entirely to do with ED selling the club and them not wanting to incur unnecessary cost before that time. How can anyone who's experienced this garbage believe he'll improve our fortunes, the guys a clown. Only the naive like you think it's anything different but you'll find out anyway before long when all is revealed.

106Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 18:45

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

so what you're saying Wanderlust, is that we have to stick with him because he will eventually bring in good young players? That's fine if you don't mind which division we will be playing in when they do get a chance.

There is always one team that has a terrible run and get sucked into the relegation battle, any guesses to who i mean?

107Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 19:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:so what you're saying Wanderlust, is that we have to stick with him because he will eventually bring in good young players? That's fine if you don't mind which division we will be playing in this season when they do get a chance.

There is always one team that has a terrible run and get sucked into the relegation battle, any guesses to who i mean?
What I'm saying is that I think the Board believe he is the right man for the job (rightly or wrongly) and it's the Board whose opinion counts when it comes to hiring and firing managers.
I'm also saying that the Board have a history of getting twitchy when things aren't going well and in the past have made decisions on the basis of what appears to be concerns over what a section of the fans think.
So I think they are desperate for Dougie to succeed but may crack if we don't stay above the relegation zone.

My personal opinion is that there are several managers out there I would prefer ahead of Dougie but they are either already happily employed elsewhere, unaffordable or simply wouldn't come here given our situation. If a proven tactical genius with a strong record of youth development and managing on a shoestring who is willing to come to us and work for peanuts comes along I'd be delighted. However, none of the numerous names mentioned so far fit that description.

108Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 19:03

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i take your point Wanderlust, but i think it is now more than a minority of fans who want him out and a loss against Watford will bring out the chants again and it will be virtually impossible for him to keep his job.

Who would be your choice of manager out of interest?

109Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 19:11

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cracking header from the juke.

110Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 19:26

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i take your point Wanderlust, but i think it is now more than a minority of fans who want him out and a loss against Watford will bring out the chants again and it will be virtually impossible for him to keep his job.

Who would be your choice of manager out of interest?
Agree that given our upcoming fixtures it's going to be very difficult to keep us out of the bottom 3 unless a miracle happens - and if we go there I reckon the Board will crack.

There are a few lower league managers that I think do a good job on limited resources  but they're "unproven at this level" and their appointment would be viewed as "unambitious". I was rooting for Rosler when Freedman was appointed - he put good foundations in place at Brentford and TBF his successor has continued almost seamlessly. A few on here didn't rate Rosler but I think he's doing OK at Wigan these days so would probably have done a good job for us. However all the lower league managers I currently rate have been given plenty of time to sort their squads out and time isn't something we would have if Dougie goes as we'd already be in the relegation zone.
I don't rate any of the Championship managers suggested so I think the only realistic solution would be to go abroad - which presents a whole bunch of problems in itself.

111Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 20:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

Utter bullshit. They're going to keep Dougie because he's going to bring through some superstars in three or four years?

If Dougie's still in charge, in three or four years Chorley or Rochdale will be buying our best players for £15k and a box of blow-up dolls with dodgy valves.

Football is all about the here and now.

112Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Sun Feb 16 2014, 23:54

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Boggersbelief wrote:Who is reedman gartside?
Indeed.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

113Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Mon Feb 17 2014, 09:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Utter bullshit. They're going to keep Dougie because he's going to bring through some superstars in three or four years?

Now you're just making it up.
- I didn't say "superstars" - I said "home grown talent"
- I didn't say I believe he'll do it - I said I thought the Board appointed him and are backing him because I think they believe it

Could you try reading what I've actually written before you spout this shite?

114Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Mon Feb 17 2014, 09:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Correct. Right now we have a shit squad on Premiership wages and no wriggle room to change it. We have a manager with a plan to sort it out in the long term, but he's not getting the results bit right and his style of play is frustrating everyone.

Next few weeks will be interesting. It's going to be a case of the Board backing Dougie's long-term plan v succumbing to pressure to get rid from the frustrated fans.

Ironically, the results "here and now" are likely to determine which way it goes.

115Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Mon Feb 17 2014, 17:36

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Correct. Right now we have a shit squad on Premiership wages and no wriggle room to change it. We have a manager with a plan to sort it out in the long term, but he's not getting the results bit right and his style of play is frustrating everyone.

Next few weeks will be interesting. It's going to be a case of the Board backing Dougie's long-term plan v succumbing to pressure to get rid from the frustrated fans.

Ironically, the results "here and now" are likely to determine which way it goes.

Lusty, of course he has a long term plan, anyone would obviously but there has to be a short term one too otherwise the long term one changes completely. From the clubs perspective right now the short term has to take priority and from where most of us sit currently, Dougie seems to have no idea how to deal with that. That's the concern and nowhere in your support for him do you seem to be seeing that which is worrying. We all accept the players aren't the best but it's clear Freedman isn't getting the best from them and his style of play just clearly doesn't suit them. The trouble with a long term plan is it is long term and will always be subject to changing circumstances. For now let's worry about the short term shit he's put us in and how we get out of it.

116Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Mon Feb 17 2014, 18:47

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'd gladly take a few seasons like this one in exchange for financial security. Those that don't understand the magnitude of our money problems, and the reality that things really could get worse in terms of the league might laugh at that statement.

Unfortunately, I think people are just living in hope that Dougie's the man to do this. However much you rate his signings, we haven't progressed as a team, we've gone backwards, and despite being erm great with kids, it seems they don't respect him a great deal. Why would they when they can't even get a game in the cup?

Let's be honest, there were times people thought Coyle had a long term plan. Unfortunately, "I've got a long term plan" is just manager speak for "things are shit at the moment, but you never know, they might get better, so give me time."

117Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Mon Feb 17 2014, 18:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I'd gladly take a few seasons like this one in exchange for financial security. Those that don't understand the magnitude of our money problems, and the reality that things really could get worse in terms of the league might laugh at that statement.

Unfortunately, I think people are just living in hope that Dougie's the man to do this. However much you rate his signings, we haven't progressed as a team, we've gone backwards, and despite being erm great with kids, it seems they don't respect him a great deal. Why would they when they can't even get a game in the cup?

Let's be honest, there were times people thought Coyle had a long term plan. Unfortunately, "I've got a long term plan" is just manager speak for "things are shit at the moment, but you never know, they might get better, so give me time."
Moving Ngog on was a decent start, but we've no way of knowing how DF is doing in terms of the kids other than U21 results have picked up. Either way, as soon as the finances are in reasonable shape I'm sure he'll get the bullet.
They're backing him to do the dirty work but I don't think he'll have much of a future after that.

118Millwall 1-1 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Millwall 1-1 Bolton Mon Feb 17 2014, 18:57

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I'd gladly take a few seasons like this one in exchange for financial security. Those that don't understand the magnitude of our money problems, and the reality that things really could get worse in terms of the league might laugh at that statement.

This will be the kind of thing on the boards mind I'm sure. 

Tough call.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum