Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 1-0 Blackpool

+20
BoltonTillIDie
Sluffy
bryan458
Boggersbelief
Mo
Mr Magoo
Hipster_Nebula
Copper Dragon
Norpig
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
Reebok_Rebel
luckyPeterpiper
aaron_bwfc
Tigermin
doffcocker
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
MartinBWFC
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

61Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Tue Mar 25 2014, 23:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Manager praises positive start

Dougie Freedman believes his side’s positive start to Tuesday’s Lancashire derby with Blackpool proved crucial in the final outcome of the clash.

David Wheater’s 16th minute header was ultimately the difference on a bitterly cold evening at the Reebok Stadium, with the Seasiders unable to break down a resolute Wanderers defence during the remainder of the match.

The Whites’ third victory in four outings on home soil, the manager praised his players for their determination in what was a tight encounter from start to finish.

“I’m very happy with that result,” he explained. “I said to the team before the game that particularly with derbies, the first 25 minutes are always crucial and it’s imperative that you start well.

“Throughout the opening stages, I felt we were the better team. We were confident and calm on the ball and we managed to get that all important goal, but after that I felt that Blackpool came into the game.

“I don’t think Adam Bogdan had too many saves to make, but they did take up possession a lot better. To counteract that we changed our shape slightly. In the end though, I felt like we deserved the victory overall.”

A match which saw David Wheater notch his first goal for the club in two years, with his last strike ironically coming in another derby clash against Blackburn Rovers in March 2012, Freedman paid tribute to the defender for his efforts during the game.

“David Wheater did very well – he tends to pose a problem for opponents with set pieces. On this occasion, his direction was better than it has been previously and obviously it went into the back of the net.

“We should be taking more advantage of his aerial power, especially now he’s back fully fit. It was a difficult decision to pull him out of the squad earlier in the season, but I believe now that he is capable of playing at a level that is suited to the Championship.”

He continued: “Over the course of the last dozen games, we’ve done very well and our performances have been good. We just need to find that consistency so that we can carry on moving up the table.

“Earlier in the season, we would have drawn that game, so that’s testament to the players.

“There’s a lot to play for in the club, so we just need to make sure that standards are high and we’ll be looking to finish the season as strongly as possible.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

62Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Tue Mar 25 2014, 23:50

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

63Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Tue Mar 25 2014, 23:59

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pretty rubbish game. Beckford should have scored twice, but went wide both times. Not a convincing performance but at least we came away with all three points. Knight made a couple of mistakes.

64Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 07:58

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

What did you think of Clattenberg last night? I was dismayed when I heard he was reffing the match- but his performance was even worse.
I don't think he made any  big mistakes but I though that his performance was dire.
He seemed to give the impression that this game was below him- that he should really have been at Old Trafford reffing a 'proper' game.
A couple of time he  was chatting to Spearing like he was his best mate . He must know him from Spearings previous life at Liverpool.
He seemed to ignore a couple of rules regarding pass backs. He swanned about the pitch like he was the main attraction. A couple of their players should have been booked, but claims were dismissed with a sarcastic smile on his face.
Is it just me being a bit paranoid- but did anyone else think he dismissed this game as a Sunday league pub tournament?

65Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 08:44

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I get a similar vibe from Clattenburg. He's a media personality, knows it and it affects his decision making.

66Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 09:07

...and he's got shit hair.

67Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 09:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So we got the vital 3 points - even more vital than anticipated given other results from lower teams.

The weakness of our squad was exposed though.
For 25 minutes, under Dougie's instructions, we went at it hammer and tongs, dominated, scored - all good.
But as soon as we eased off, midfield possession was surrendered and a better team would have taken advantage. Seems to me like our midfield hasn't got the stamina to keep going at full pace for long enough and doesn't close down as a unit when we haven't got the ball. We give away too many chances.
Beckford and Lee both showed fantastic energy when they came on, chasing lost causes and closing down from the front in a way Mason and Juke couldn't but still the midfield possession wasn't there enough, mainly because Blackpool's back 4 pushed up to create a high line and compress play into an area where they had an advantage of numbers. And with 2 strikers on, we gave them a man advantage.
Beckford's miss was unfortunate. He created the chance for himself by closing down the keeper but he lacks finesse in front of goal. Still at least he had the effect of pushing their back 4 back a bit to ease the pressure on midfield.
I understand what Dougie is doing with his selections and substitutions and it worked out OK against an average team but I can't help feeling that we just haven't got the quality or stamina to make it really pay off.
And in playing 442 we are invariably getting swamped in midfield too much which means long periods of chasing possession and giving the opposition the majority of possession with which to create chances if they're good enough.
It's a very risky strategy but I guess it just about works as long as the opposition don't have the talent to take full advantage of lots of possession.
We may well get found out against Wigan, but having the 3 points from last night in the bag will reduce the pressure for a while.
Some positives though. Looked like real effort from Beckford and Lee who genuinely seemed to be trying to win their places back - both livelier than they have been for a while.
Problem is, neither has and end product these days and whilst Beckford struggles to hit the target, Lee seems to be scared of shooting at all.

68Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 09:09

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Breadman wrote:...and he's got shit hair.

I'm not going to comment on that- I'd like to have hair again

69Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 10:43

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Midway through the first half i was thinking, "you know Zat Knight is playing pretty well he remarkably he could get MOM", and then, as if by magic, he switched into Knobhead mode, oh well, good try Zat!!!!!

70Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 10:53

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

bryan458 wrote:Midway through the first half i was thinking, "you know Zat Knight is playing pretty well he remarkably he could get MOM", and then, as if by magic, he switched into Knobhead mode, oh well, good try Zat!!!!!
Lol, I said pretty much the same to my mate. I said how well Knight was playing and he must be after a new deal  pale  and then he goes and heads a ball against Bogdan's post and a minute or so later, he then slices a ball towards his own goal. I bet Dougie was having serious palpitations!

71Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 11:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I vote this the most boring game in history.

Fuck me, two absolutely shite teams who couldn't entertain if they all wore fake plastic breasts.

There's got to be more to life than watching this utter garbage.

72Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 12:03

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:It'll be back to a lone striker tomorrow night, deep down you all know it.

lol!

73Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 12:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:It'll be back to a lone striker tomorrow night, deep down you all know it.

lol!

I was correct, because Mason didn't show up.

74Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 12:12

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:There's got to be more to life than watching this utter garbage.

There is. It's called Punjabi Roots. It's the future, I've seen it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Coming to a location behind your goalposts sometime soon.

75Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 12:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nice hats. Might get one.

76Bolton 1-0 Blackpool - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Blackpool Wed Mar 26 2014, 20:28

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I had the pleasure(or pain) of seeing most of the game last night.  Certainly wasn't a Barca like performance.  Seemed like Blackpool moved the ball faster than us and passed better.  On the bright side Beckford showed pace and got into more scoring positions .... I would like Duke/Beckford to play a few games together now to see how that works out.
Overall our ball control is woeful and not much going on in midfield ...... same old same old.
At least we won so that's somat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum