Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TV Programmes You Love That Got Cancelled

+10
wanderlust
Angry Dad
Keegan
aaron_bwfc
bwfc71
Mr Magoo
xmiles
Quent
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Not really, it's aimed at teens quite frankly.

I'm too old for it's demographic myself honestly, but that is one reason an older person might not like it, is what i was getting at.

I'm 25 you wankers.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I'm 25 you wankers.

or 32.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:Hill Street Blues-NYPD Blue.

Yup. Brilliant they were. Buntz was a likeable character.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:Hill Street Blues-NYPD Blue.

Yup. Brilliant they were. Buntz was a likeable character.
Dennis franz liked him a lot first played officer Sal Benedetto who gets killed off in early Hill street blues but they brought him back later as norman buntz. Then he was andy sipowicz in NYPD blue. They did a spin off of Hill st later called Beverly Hills Buntz where he plays a cynical PI not shown over here sadly.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Two more of my favourites cancelled - Harrys's Law & Alcatraz. I wish UK tv companies would stop buying programmes they must know have already been cancelled in the US.

Prime Suspect US starts on Universal in a couple of weeks, but it's already been cancelled in the US. What is the point of watching it?

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

Firefly, cancelled way too soon.
Heroes, lost it's way due to the writer's strike, gutted.
Game Of thrones is immense.
Boardwalk Empire is just awesome.
The Wire, best thing ever on TV.
The original series of The Killing, and the sequel series were incredible.
Oh, and both series of Spartacus are definitely up there amongst the best.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never seen Firefly, I think I saw the film it was based on though.

Heroes was superb for the first season, then it went absolute crap overnight.

I have the whole of season 2 of Game of Thrones on my Sky+ box ready to watch on a wet Sunday.

Never watched Boardwalk Empire or Spartacus. Hated The Wire. The Killing was too slow for me.

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

Firefly was the series on which the film was based. Joss Whedon made it because the series got cancelled.

the film wasn't bad but would have loved to have seen the thing finished properly.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's actually stunning just how good season 1 of heroes was compared to the rest.

classic case of an idea stretched extreeeeeeeemely thin.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I think a distinction ought to be made between a show getting cancelled having run its course and getting cancelled either mid season or at short/no notice and this seriously impacting story lines and the show being given an ill-fitting, contrived conclusion.

The Prisoner got cancelled at short notice and only 17 episodes were ever made. They spent a fortune decking out the village of Portmerion to act as The Village then Patrick McGoohan, as was his way, took the funnies over something and they had to hurriedly bring the story to a very odd conclusion. I don't remember this as it happened 10 years before I was born.

'V', the original series, was cancelled in a hurry in the 80s and ended on a weird and pointless cliffhanger over whether a character had stowed away onto a ship.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The reason things get cancelled (usually) is ratings. i.e no ones watching.

that doesn't mean they're not good but sadly, thats the way of the world.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

largehat wrote:The Prisoner got cancelled at short notice and only 17 episodes were ever made. They spent a fortune decking out the village of Portmerion to act as The Village then Patrick McGoohan, as was his way, took the funnies over something and they had to hurriedly bring the story to a very odd conclusion. I don't remember this as it happened 10 years before I was born.

I remember it well unfortunately.

The Prisoner was born out of a very good series called Danger Man and back in those days when you only had three TV channels to watch, nearly everybody was very excited about The Prisoner but it simply was too 'odd' for most of us to understand what the fuck it was all supposed to be about.

Most of us had jacked it in long before the final episode and as far as I knew the show was dumped because of poor viewing figures.

Following on from Danger Man was a series called Man in a Suitcase which I thought was excellent - nothing to do of course with Mich or the MI6 spy Gareth Williams, who turned out to be the real man in a suitcase.

Just a piece of Trivia to end with - I remember Bolton actually signing a player called Gareth Williams in 1967 - his middle named is the same as Kevin Davies - Cyril!

Nice one.

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

Sluffy wrote:
largehat wrote:The Prisoner got cancelled at short notice and only 17 episodes were ever made. They spent a fortune decking out the village of Portmerion to act as The Village then Patrick McGoohan, as was his way, took the funnies over something and they had to hurriedly bring the story to a very odd conclusion. I don't remember this as it happened 10 years before I was born.

I remember it well unfortunately.

The Prisoner was born out of a very good series called Danger Man and back in those days when you only had three TV channels to watch, nearly everybody was very excited about The Prisoner but it simply was too 'odd' for most of us to understand what the fuck it was all supposed to be about.

Most of us had jacked it in long before the final episode and as far as I knew the show was dumped because of poor viewing figures.

Following on from Danger Man was a series called Man in a Suitcase which I thought was excellent - nothing to do of course with Mich or the MI6 spy Gareth Williams, who turned out to be the real man in a suitcase.

Just a piece of Trivia to end with - I remember Bolton actually signing a player called Gareth Williams in 1967 - his middle named is the same as Kevin Davies - Cyril!

Nice one.

Here's another piece of trivia for you, Which 90's TV show used the theme tune from Man In A suitcase as it's own theme tune ?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

TV Programmes You Love That Got Cancelled - Page 3 P00935b0_640_360

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

You have to be intellectually gifted to appreciate the allegory and symbolism of the series.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

largehat wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

You have to be intellectually gifted to appreciate the allegory and symbolism of the series.

Well obviously 45 years ago the whole country wasn't as clever as you are - so the show got cancelled.

Our loss.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:
Well obviously 45 years ago the whole country wasn't as clever as you are - so the show got cancelled.

on a more serious note, the reason for the cancellation of The Prisoner is contentious.

This is from Wikipedia:

McGoohan had originally only wanted to produce seven episodes of The Prisoner, but Grade argued that more shows were necessary in order for him to successfully sell the series to CBS. The exact number that was agreed to, along with how the series ended, is disputed by different sources.

In a 1967 article, Dorothy Manners reported that CBS had asked McGoohan to produce 36 segments, but that he would only agree to produce 17.

According to a 1977 interview, Grade requested 26 episodes, which McGoohan thought would spread the show too thin, but was able to come up with 17 episodes.

According to The Prisoner: The Official Companion to the Classic TV Series, however, the series was originally supposed to run longer, but was cancelled, forcing McGoohan to write the final episode in only a few days.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Granada tried to remake The Prisoner, a few years ago. Definitely completely missed what The Prisoner was all about and it was complete crap - only 6 episodes were amde.

The original Prisoner was clever in the story-telling, although when I first saw it I thought what the hell was all that about. Very much subliminal plots and of course the village used was part of the plot and stories.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum