Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The great British sketch show

+5
Angry Dad
Hipster_Nebula
Quent
Natasha Whittam
largehat
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The great British sketch show Empty The great British sketch show Thu Apr 05 2012, 23:12

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

A friend of mine is one of the UK's leading experts on the history of light entertainment. The other night we were lamenting the decline in sketch comedy shows. I remember being glued to the TV during the 80s to watch The Two Ronnies and Morecambe & Wise.

Even during the 1990s we had younger lights such as Harry Enfield, The Mary Whitehouse Experience and The Real McCoy.

Where is the great British sketch show now? Is there a gem out there I have simply missed? I watched 'Burnistown' when it was on the other month and it was fairly average. That airport one with David Walliams and Matt Lucas was pretty dire, apart from the creole English woman running the coffee stand, she was quite good.

Anyway, here's one of my favourite sketch characters of the 90s in 3 clips below. I can't watch these without laughing. They are very short clips and the quality isn't great, especially for the first one. Anyone remember Mr Strange from Punt & Dennis?

"Ooh, you've caught me curdling."

2The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 10:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:A friend of mine is one of the UK's leading experts on the history of light entertainment.

You mean he's a fat bastard who's spent the majority of his adult life lying on the sofa watching tv.

3The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 10:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've never liked sketch shows. I don't get Morecambe & Wise, I used to cry when my parents forced me to watch it. Ditto the Two Ronnies.

Little Britain is the only one I can watch and laugh.

4The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 12:11

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Good post Largehat, I thought I was the only one who raved about Punt & Dennis. I too miss the good old British sketch show, hasn't been a good one since the first series of Little Britain.

5The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 13:52

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Things like the day today and Brass eye we're great (yes i know not really "sketch shows") and i used to think the Fast Show was really good.

i looked back at it recently and thought how the fcuk did i laugh at that shite?

but honestly the stuff that passes for "comedy" nowadays is beyond belief.

6The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 14:48

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Did not find it funny at all,just another python type rip off .

7The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 14:51

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:I've never liked sketch shows. I don't get Morecambe & Wise, I used to cry when my parents forced me to watch it. Ditto the Two Ronnies.

Little Britain is the only one I can watch and laugh.
yeah well i had to watch the fuckin black and white minstrels which had the old man roaring like a lunatic.Dont even to this day know what he found funny about it.

Last edited by Angry Dad on Fri Apr 06 2012, 14:56; edited 1 time in total

8The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 14:56

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

But then he also idolised hitler and his gang for some reason i never asked him about that as i wasn,t allowed to talk to him unless he was in a good mood.Which he never was unless watching the black and white minstrels or the world at war documentary.

9The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 15:24

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:A friend of mine is one of the UK's leading experts on the history of light entertainment.

You mean he's a fat bastard who's spent the majority of his adult life lying on the sofa watching tv.

No I mean he's an expert, as in, he's published books on the subject in the last couple of years. His biography of Les Dawson was number one in the biography section in Amazon when it was published last month for example.

10The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 20:14

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I like The Fast Show, only started watching Monty Python in the last 5 years or so. but love most of it.

Another i used to like The league of Gentlemen.

11The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Fri Apr 06 2012, 22:26

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Not the 9'o clock news was hilarious, this is one of my favourite scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0

12The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Sat Apr 07 2012, 07:56

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Morecambe and wise -The Two ronnies was old peoples crap for sure.
You in a care home largetwat if not you should seriously fuck off to one before you embarrass yourself any further. That punt and dennis was purile crap old fella.

13The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Sat Apr 07 2012, 09:49

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

aaron_bwfc wrote:Not the 9'o clock news was hilarious, this is one of my favourite scenes.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0[/quote[/url]]

Very enjoyable. It also reminded me how hot Pamela Stephenson used to be before she met Billy Connolly.

Morecambe and Wise is definitely over-rated. My parents used to love it but I never found it particularly funny.

14The great British sketch show Empty Re: The great British sketch show Sat Apr 07 2012, 10:59

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

iIloved Morcambe and Wise, and even remember some like the Army Game, and Charlie Drake. They were very funny in their day, but we have all moved on, become more worldly wise, and 'sophisticated. Although not a sketch show, one of the best comedy series I've seen was Auf Wiedersehn pet. The three clips left me cold, and I have to say that the modern sketch show seems not to know how to make anyone have a genuine Belly-laugh, but goes for the shocking or cringeworthy type of humour. Sometimes its amusing, but rarely funny.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum