Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kellett looked good what about the others

+12
Soul Kitchen
Tigermin
Norpig
observer
wessy
Hipster_Nebula
Boggersbelief
karlypants
scottjames30
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
White84
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tigermin wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Norpig wrote:there was no pleasure to be had at the Reebok on Tuesday Night just a manager and a team trying desperately to not get a hammering by putting 8 men behind the ball.

If that's your ideas of pleasure fair enough but i would like to see my team at least show some enthusiasm and effort and try to win a game as opposed to trying not to lose.
Trying to win the game? Clearly we did and with better finishing we could have done.

Dougie learned from the away trip to Leicester where we committed more men forward and scored 3 - great if we hadn't shipped FIVE.
Your incisive comments are based on  the 90 minutes you watched at the match  I presume ?
Why?

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Kellet is a bit on the short side and as such will require to be an exceptional talent.
Most players these days are big lads, but in the past Kinkladze springs readily to mind, little farts have sometimes made it.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Soul Kitchen wrote:Kellet is a bit on the short side and as such will require to be an exceptional talent.
Most players these days are big lads, but in the past Kinkladze springs readily to mind, little farts have sometimes made it.
I think a young Peter Beardsley was dumped by Man U for being too small. I might be wrong though? 

Our very own Zach Clough is pretty tiny, something like 5"6 and it would be interesting to see how he would get on against some 6"3 experienced Championship centre half?

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Alan Ball

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The only decent chances we created were in the second half after we reverted from 5-4-1 to 4-4-2.

I don't even think Dougie knew himself what he wanted from the match. From the starting line up, you'd think it was the last game of the season and we needed a point to stay up. We go 1-0 down, and he brings the youth players on. It makes no sense to me.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Honestly at this point I don't think the results are particularly important. 

the starting line up appeared to be some experiment that obviously didn't work.

then he just wanted to see some of the young players.

It wasn't particularly baffling to me

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
the starting line up appeared to be some experiment that obviously didn't work.

Why would you want to experiment with 5-4-1? Would you like to see us playing 5-4-1 next season, as an aspiring top 6 side? It's not even like we played with two full backs that are good going forward.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You and I might not want too, but he obviously did. 

But if he has to experiment I'd rather he did it now than when results are important.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:Kellet is a bit on the short side and as such will require to be an exceptional talent.

I really don't think size has a bearing in modern football. A lot of managers are loath to splash out money on young players because they consider them too small to compete in the modern game. History would suggest otherwise. Some of the greatest players over the last fifty years would never be considered giants but they could hold their own in any company.

Pele and Maradona immediately spring to mind but in the modern era there are loads of examples. Messi at Barca, Jay Spearing at Bolton.

Just look at the United Squad from the class of 92. Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs.

George Best was hardly a heavyweight.

Anyone remember Brian Flynn, the Welsh international who played for Leeds? He was a pocket rocket, as was Neil McNabb who had a brief career at Wanderers.

Size is no guarantee of strength and quite often it isn't about the size of the dog in a fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

Mike Tyson wasn't the biggest heavyweight boxer but he dispatched many a fighter who was three or four inches taller than himself.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Keller is a quick left back should be in from the start if he shows he has come on overly the summer.Mills,Wheater good pairing get either White or threlkeld RB.Baptiste fucking useless good going forward shit right back DF Fuk up £22-000 a week.A good start Mavies in mid with Danns,Spearing ,Medo holding Juke if we can do buisness n we got Beckford,Sordell returning( whatever your view is on that)Sordell that is.The ZAt Knight joke last season 1 win in 9 or 10 till he got dropped at Birmingham how DF could not see it but by then we were still on the starting line.A good start is the most important thing.id sell CYL if he has a good World Cup sign Juke and Mason if poss one out of two will do.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

RT - can't believe you just put Jay S in the same line as Messi as an exemplar.

I don't think Kellett (or Clough's) height will be an issue for Dougie seeing as Dougie is no giant himself and yet played at the top level.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:RT - can't believe you just put Jay S in the same line as Messi as an exemplar.

It was really just an example of someone who is small in stature but can still play at the top level. I don't know if you have read Fergies autobiography but he rates Spearing and gives him a mention.

That'd be the same Fergie who sat in Glazer's office and told him to hire Moyes, then.....?

Very Happy

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It would indeed!  Very Happy 

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
wanderlust wrote:RT - can't believe you just put Jay S in the same line as Messi as an exemplar.

It was really just an example of someone who is small in stature but can still play at the top level. I don't know if you have read Fergies autobiography but he rates Spearing and gives him a mention.
Nice to mention a diminutive BWFC player in this context, but Jay hasn't been at the top of his game consistently this year and even if he had I wouldn't have thought him as the best example when you've got the likes of Suarez, Silva, Aguero and a whole host of other stumpy stars playing in England to pick from.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum