Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Overrated TV Series

+9
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
Bwfc1958
wanderlust
aaron_bwfc
Reebok Trotter
BoltonTillIDie
boltonbonce
xmiles
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Most Overrated TV Series Empty Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 20:51

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Breaking Bad.

Seriously why do people think this is good?

2Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 20:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Downton Abbey.
Peaky Blinders.

3Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 20:59

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Breaking Bad.

It was good - I enjoyed it.

4Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:00

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Breaking Bad.

It's bloody brilliant. The dynamics between Walter, Jesse and Hank are perfectly scripted. Brian Cranston plays a very plausible character whose original intentions are simply to provide for his family.
Gus Frink has a tremendous malevolent presence almost on a par with Anton Chigurh.
The series is also laced with dark humour and more importantly, most of the scenarios are believable.
What isn't there to like?

Last edited by Reebok Trotter on Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:05; edited 1 time in total

5Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:05

Don't know if you can call it a series as such, but X Factor wants binning.

Emperor's new clothes in a televisual format.

6Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:07

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Don't know if you can call it a series as such, but X Factor wants binning.

Haven't watched it for years. It's just a vehicle for Simon Cowell to cash in on milking the best talent in the teenage market. Apart from Leona Lewis I can't think of another winner who has actually gone on to become a genuine superstar.

7Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Opportunity knocks was better.
That Tony Holland was brilliant. Don't see quality acts like that now.

8Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:14

Strictly's just not as good nowadays for some reason.

It feels like there's something missing but I can't quite put my finger on it......

9Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Strictly's just not as good nowadays for some reason.

It feels like there's something missing but I can't quite put my finger on it......
STOP IT! YOU BAD MAN.

10Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:32

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I watched the first episode of The Strain on Watch last night - looks like a decent series to be fair. Just going to and watch the 2nd episode to see how if it gets any better.

11Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:36

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Breadman wrote:Don't know if you can call it a series as such, but X Factor wants binning.

Haven't watched it for years. It's just a vehicle for Simon Cowell to cash in on milking the best talent in the teenage market. Apart from Leona Lewis I can't think of another winner who has actually gone on to become a genuine superstar.

One direction are very big here and in the USA. Or at least they were...

12Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:40

God know why.

Listen to 'em "singing" live here:

13Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Thu Oct 09 2014, 21:41

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

True... but they didn't win X Factor.. they were put together by Simon Cowell to form a boy band because he knew there was a niche for them in the teenage market. They actually didn't know one another before they auditioned individually for X Factor and none of them were successful in their solo auditions.

14Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Fri Oct 10 2014, 11:25

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The formula for shows like the X Factor used to annoy the hell out of me but I'm more tolerant these days. The biggest exponent is Australian Masterchef which wrings every bit of pre-scripted emotion out of the contestants who are constantly harangued to tell us why Masterchef is so important to them - usually a tale which involves tragedy, death and rebirth - and to take us on their "personal journey". It's a fookin cookery programme that ostensibly is a cookery competition but in effect is an acting competition. Streets ahead of the Brit version in terms of game show personality and character.

X factor is more mature these days. They know which characters will sell/court controversy so increasingly people are put through on similar criteria to reality TV shows and they make selections on that basis.

Bake off, X factor - there are loads which tap into the same formula and they all follow the same process albeit in different settings.

15Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Fri Oct 10 2014, 14:03

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Lost and prison break. I know I'm probably alone on this one but just couldn't get into them

16Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Fri Oct 10 2014, 14:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Prison Break was ace.

Most overrated series is definitely The Wire, closely followed by Breaking Bad. They're simply shows it's cool to say you like. Bellends.

17Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Fri Oct 10 2014, 14:24

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

If you haven't watched more than the first couple of episodes of The Wire you are missing some outstanding television. Yes it's difficult to follow at first and maybe it helps to watch those first couple of episodes twice or with sub-titles but it is worth the effort.

18Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Fri Oct 10 2014, 14:28

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Prison Break was ace.

I agree..however..there were more holes in the plot than half a pound of Swiss cheese. Nevertheless I still enjoyed it.
Lost got a bit lost within itself although I enjoyed the chemistry between Jack, Freckles and Sawyer.
The Wire ?? Gritty entertainment at its best. I can't understand anybody not liking The Wire.

19Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Fri Oct 10 2014, 14:40

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:If you haven't watched more than the first couple of episodes of The Wire you are missing some outstanding television. Yes it's difficult to follow at first and maybe it helps to watch those first couple of episodes twice or with sub-titles but it is worth the effort.

Don't patronise me. It's crap. You're saying it's good to look cool. But your crap clothes are letting you down.

20Most Overrated TV Series Empty Re: Most Overrated TV Series Fri Oct 10 2014, 14:43

I'd like to nominate the entire Discovery Network who used to show proper documentaries but now largely just show fake, staged bollocks like -

Pawn Stars.
Auction Hunters (at least three different versions currently screening.)
American Guns.
American Pickers.
Lizard Lick Towing.
Airplane Repo.
And that fucking dreadful thing about an outlaw biker gang that couldn't be any less convincing if they were all carrying scripts.

All utter shite.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum