Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Overrated Song

+17
Norpig
Reebok Trotter
Numpty 28723
B.D.P
wanderlust
okocha
rammywhite
Mr Magoo
MartinBWFC
scottjames30
Soul Kitchen
NickFazer
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
Banks of the Croal
boltonbonce
xmiles
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Most Overrated Song Empty Most Overrated Song Sat Nov 15 2014, 18:23

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

2Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sat Nov 15 2014, 18:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bridge over troubled water.Most Overrated Song Desismileys_6659

3Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sat Nov 15 2014, 18:52

Anything by The Beatles.

4Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sat Nov 15 2014, 18:53

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Mull of Kintyre

5Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sat Nov 15 2014, 18:54

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wonderwall for me.

6Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sat Nov 15 2014, 18:57

Bat out of Hell.

7Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sat Nov 15 2014, 19:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Booooooooooooo! Evil or Very Mad

8Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sat Nov 15 2014, 19:26

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Bat out of Hell.
I agree, he was that fat he needed a motorbike to get on stage! Very Happy

9Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sun Nov 16 2014, 01:13

Iron Man by Sabbath.

It's now lauded as some sort of seminal track that helped to form "heavy rock" as a distinct genre in the early 70's but every time I hear it, the lyrics just make me shake my head and wonder just how (former failed burglar and generally useless, pissed up fuckhead) John Osborne managed to achieve the semi-mythical status he now enjoys as "The Dark Lord" of Rock.

It's seriously like a bad piece of homework written by a twelve year in an English Lit class when the teacher has said "Right kids,......write a poem about a robot monster!"

Here's a link if you don't believe me:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/blacksabbath/ironman.html

But I'm not blaming him entirely because Geezer Butler actually wrote the lyrics and Osborne just shouted them in between bouts of JD and Coke and er, more coke..........

And don't get me started on War Pigs where the fucking idiot rhymes "masses" with erm......"Masses."

I know that Tony Iommi lost his finger tips in an industrial accident in a foundry and he made new ones out of cheese or something and went on to be a decent guitarist and that's great but I just think that Sabbath are massively overrated because I can't see past their piss-poor lyrics.

10Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sun Nov 16 2014, 12:09

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Can't agree with you on this Breadman, Sabbath are an iconic band and Ozzy is one of the the most charismatic front men in rock. As far as the lyrics are concerned they were written by working class guys from Birmingham, brought up in tough areas and probably not the best educated, I think Ozzy was later diagnosed as dyslexic, so maybe that explains a little if they aren't quite as poetic as some others like Floyd or Led Zep. In any case what about the music, fantastic, saw them last year best gig I've been to in many a year.

Last edited by NickFazer on Sun Nov 16 2014, 12:11; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Punctuation correction, schoolboy error)

11Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sun Nov 16 2014, 12:17

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Correction II. Ozzy is the most charismatic front man in rock.

Most overrated song: Money for Nothing Dire Straits - probably because everyone was a Straits fan at the time and forever kissing Knoflers arse and this track in particular was played to death. Did some great songs but this wasn't one of them.

Last edited by NickFazer on Sun Nov 16 2014, 12:18; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling correction, jeez I'm having a bad day)

12Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sun Nov 16 2014, 14:27

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I have to agree with Nick on both counts re. sabbath and Dire Straits. 
When Sabbath kicked in around 69 /70 they were loud and proud. Very basic riffs that appealed to young lads with air guitars. I tended to look a bit farther and deeper for my musical entertainment but they did do some stuff that hit the spot and as a sixteen year old at the time Iron Man did just that. The last minute of the song with the guitar used to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck!  Alas no more. 
Tunnel of Love, Skate away and Sultans for me could never be surpassed by Knopfler.

13Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sun Nov 16 2014, 17:14

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Slap My Bitch Up.

14Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sun Nov 16 2014, 17:19

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The birdy song.

15Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sun Nov 16 2014, 17:51

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Breadman wrote:Anything by The Beatles.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

16Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sun Nov 16 2014, 22:13

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Mr Magoo wrote:
Breadman wrote:Anything by The Beatles.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

A bit too sweeping.
Brilliant tunes- but often let down by simple and sometimes silly words

17Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Sun Nov 16 2014, 22:23

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Best song, certainly in terms of lyrics:-either Tin Angel or The Magdalene Laundries by Joni Mitchell.

Last edited by okocha on Mon Nov 17 2014, 11:27; edited 1 time in total

18Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 09:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Best song, certainly in terms of lyrics:-either Tin Angel or The Magdaleine Laundries by Joni Mitchell.

Not sure if you've read the brief correctly Okocha.

Highly subjective question is "most overrated" as it asks to balance individual perceptions of commercial success with personal music preferences.

Most of Beefheart and Fripp's stuff leaves me wondering what the hell I was taking to have enjoyed it so much at the time. Very popular and mainstream in the 70s but I find it hard work these days. Prog rock in general is increasingly an anathema to me.

19Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 09:57

B.D.P

B.D.P
David Lee
David Lee

Fight the Power by Public Enemy. Racist bullshit for wankers.

Islands in the Stream by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. Absolute shite for cross dressing sissy's.

20Most Overrated Song Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 11:26

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:
okocha wrote:Best song, certainly in terms of lyrics:-either Tin Angel or The Magdaleine Laundries by Joni Mitchell.

Not sure if you've read the brief correctly Okocha.

Highly subjective question is "most overrated" as it asks to balance individual perceptions of commercial success with personal music preferences.

Most of Beefheart and Fripp's stuff leaves me wondering what the hell I was taking to have enjoyed it so much at the time. Very popular and mainstream in the 70s but I find it hard work these days. Prog rock in general is increasingly an anathema to me.
No, I can read ok, thanks, Wander. The subject seemed to have drifted round to meaningful lyrics and I just thought I'd create a yardstick by which to measure all the rest in terms of real art. If you want me to stick to the original point of the thread, I'd nominate McArthur Park by Richard Harris which I think got to number one in the charts but was truly grim in every way!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum