Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Overrated Song

+17
Norpig
Reebok Trotter
Numpty 28723
B.D.P
wanderlust
okocha
rammywhite
Mr Magoo
MartinBWFC
scottjames30
Soul Kitchen
NickFazer
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
Banks of the Croal
boltonbonce
xmiles
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

21Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 11:35

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

As above, Bohemian Cacophony and Twat Out Of Hell. Also there's a song that gets aired quite a lot on the radio called Black Betty Bam O Lam or something which annoys the fuck out of me and I just wish they'd give over playing it.

22Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 11:48

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought Bat out of Hell was brilliant. McArthur Park is an odd one because only a fool would leave a cake out in the rain. Remember Richard Harris couldn't sing for toffee but the resonance of his voice carried the song.

O Superman by Laurie Anderson is the most overrated song I have ever heard. Wtf is it all about?

23Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 11:48

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Numpty 28723 wrote:Black Betty Bam O Lam or something which annoys the fuck out of me and I just wish they'd give over playing it.
:agree:

24Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 12:52

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

B.D.P wrote:Fight the Power by Public Enemy. Racist bullshit for wankers.

Islands in the Stream by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. Absolute shite for cross dressing sissy's.
And written by the Bee Gees!

25Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 12:58

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
okocha wrote:Best song, certainly in terms of lyrics:-either Tin Angel or The Magdaleine Laundries by Joni Mitchell.

Not sure if you've read the brief correctly Okocha.

Highly subjective question is "most overrated" as it asks to balance individual perceptions of commercial success with personal music preferences.

Most of Beefheart and Fripp's stuff leaves me wondering what the hell I was taking to have enjoyed it so much at the time. Very popular and mainstream in the 70s but I find it hard work these days. Prog rock in general is increasingly an anathema to me.
Beefheart and KC in their many forms were weird and wonderful! Today the test of time has not stood, as indeed that of most Prog Rock, not that I'm suggesting Beefheart was. I used to love ELP and Yes but they ultimately got swallowed by their own rsoles, as, indeed did another band of similar ilk, Gentle Giant.

26Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 13:06

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone remember Gnidrolog? Was a big fan at the time. Not many people I know seem to remember them.

27Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 13:12

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

anything by Kasabian is rubbish to me, they started off as a poor mans Stone Roses and never got any better.

Slightly more controversial, i never understood the love for Stairway to Heaven :bomb:

28Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 13:45

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Along the same lines Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah ( how do you spell it?)
Everybody seems to have covered it-  but to me its a tedious drone with an unimpressive tune and mundane and predictable words

29Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 14:03

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

rammywhite wrote:Along the same lines Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah ( how do you spell it?)
Everybody seems to have covered it-  but to me its a tedious drone with an unimpressive tune and mundane and predictable words
With you there. I can't stand that song.

30Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 14:14

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

boltonbonce wrote:Anyone remember Gnidrolog? Was a big fan at the time. Not many people I know seem to remember them.
I've heard of them but haven't a clue what they sounded like. They can't have sold many records because no-one would have been able to walk in the shop and pronounce the name to ask for it. £1.25 sounds like a good deal to see them and Bowie and Thin Lizzy but it was probably a year's wages back then.

Most Overrated Song - Page 2 720827_advert_thin_lizzy_tonny_steenhagen

31Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 14:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

32Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 15:10

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:Anyone remember Gnidrolog? Was a big fan at the time. Not many people I know seem to remember them.

I do remember them but I don't remember whether or I ever saw them live. According to Wiki they "played gigs with fairly well known bands such as Colosseum, King Crimson, Wishbone Ash and Soft Machine" and I saw all those bands several times. However the combination of deteriorating memory and the fact that I wasn't always sober when I was at gigs means I'll never know now.

33Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 15:11

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:

I do remember them but I don't remember whether or I ever saw them live. According to Wiki they "played gigs with fairly well known bands such as Colosseum, King Crimson, Wishbone Ash and Soft Machine" and I saw all those bands several times. However the combination of deteriorating memory and the fact that I wasn't always sober when I was at gigs means I'll never know now.

I bet you also saw Hawkwind a few times- they seemed to be the support band for everyone in the 70s

34Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 15:23

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

rammywhite wrote:

I bet you also saw Hawkwind a few times- they seemed to be the support band for everyone in the 70s

Actually the support band I saw most often was the Alan Bown Set. They seemed to be the support or often second support at half the gigs I went to! I was in London at the time and I think they were a London based band.

Another good live band I saw quite a lot was Family.

35Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 15:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I saw Hawkwind at The Hardrock in Stretford.

36Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 15:27

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:Along the same lines Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah ( how do you spell it?)

have to disagree, Jeff Buckleys version is amazing and is far from mundane. Much better than the original.

37Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 15:41

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The Groundhogs were a popular support band as well.

38Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 15:45

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kasabian are very good. Norpig is clueless about music

39Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 15:48

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
rammywhite wrote:

Actually the support band I saw most often was the Alan Bown Set. They seemed to be the support or often second support at half the gigs I went to! I was in London at the time and I think they were a London based band.

Another good live band I saw quite a lot was Family.
Roger Chapman/Family were everywhere and I still like their pop hit "Rollin and Tumblin ain't done me no harm..." that I can never remember the title of but had a classic riff.
"Darryl Way's Wolf" also seemed to turn up everywhere in the early/mid 70s.

40Most Overrated Song - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Overrated Song Mon Nov 17 2014, 15:53

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I remember them Bonce. A duo on the island /chrysalis label if I'm correct, about the time of Blodwyn  Pig?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum