Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Office politics and Taekwondo.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Office politics and Taekwondo. Empty Office politics and Taekwondo. Mon May 28 2012, 16:06

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I know it is very obscure but something fishy seems to be going on at the British Taekwondo Olympic selection procedure.

Basically the best Taekwondoist (is there such a word?) in the world right now (the fighter will become world number one in next month's rankings) has NOT been selected to go to the Olympics and instead they've picked someone who is ranked 56th in the world!

All seems a bit odd to me.

Full story here for anybody curious about it -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18233018

2Office politics and Taekwondo. Empty Re: Office politics and Taekwondo. Mon May 28 2012, 21:30

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cook broke away from the powers that be after losing a dubious decision and it's his breakaway that has caused his ommission.

Tae Kwan Do is a Korean creation and Judo ( Japan ) and Boxing ( Marquis of Queensferry) are the only martial arts recognised in the Olympics.

Karate ( Japan ) and Jiu Jitsu ( Korean ) are not recognised as Olympic disciplines.

What is even more bizarre is that Squash is not recognised but synchronised swimming is!

3Office politics and Taekwondo. Empty Re: Office politics and Taekwondo. Thu May 31 2012, 16:56

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Well the GB Taekwondo's nomination of Lutalo Muhammad has been rejected - the first time ever that anything like this as happened.

Story here -

European Champion Aaron Cook has edged closer to competing at London 2012 after the British Olympic Association (BOA) vetoed GB Taekwondo's nomination of Lutalo Muhammad.

The historic ruling means the sport must now reconvene at the 'earliest opportunity' to review their selection.

Cook, 21, was initially selected as reserve fighter for the Olympics.

"It was the unanimous decision of the OQS Panel that it could not ratify the nomination," read a statement.

“I'm overjoyed for Aaron that sporting justice has been served”
John Cullen Cook's former team-mate
The four-strong Olympic Qualification Standards panel, which included Team GB chiefs Andy Hunt and Sir Clive Woodward ruled that GB Taekwondo had placed a 'disproportionate amount of emphasis' on certain selection criteria when nominating Muhammad.

Upon hearing the news Cook tweeted ; "Thank you to the BOA."

"Thanks also to all the public, fellow athletes and legends for your support."

"If given the chance, I will make GB proud," added Cook.

The panel have insisted that both athletes should receive equal, in-person representation in front of the Selection Committee, such as through their own coaches and the OQS panelists have also recommended that the BOA is present at the meeting.

On Friday Cook's former team-mate John Cullen insisted that the fighter "must go" to the London Olympics and he was pleased with today's outcome.

"I'm proud of the BOA for being strong enough to make the decision and for looking into the entire selection process," Cullen told BBC Sport.

"[GB Taekwondo] overstepped their remit here, a lot of questions need to be answered and I think a public review is needed because this is not the way to run a publicly funded sport.

"I'm overjoyed for Aaron that sporting justice has been served."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18284174

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum