Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where is the biggest shit hole you have ever been?

+12
Soul Kitchen
Reebok Trotter
Norpig
Numpty 28723
Hipster_Nebula
NickFazer
Copper Dragon
Sluffy
scottjames30
MartinBWFC
Boggersbelief
Michael Bolton
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I am going to say Ashington. I remember stopping in Ashington once on the way up to Northumberland and I just thought "Poor bastards who live here". It was an absolute shit hole. Seriously, if I quantum leaped into a person living in Ashington I would just do myself in.

Where is the biggest shit hole you have ever been?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Aberdeen

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Burnley, Middlesboro, Sunny Beach.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Corby.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I've been lucky to have travelled around a bit but mostly to the touristy bits in Europe and north America and had the chance to have a day trip to Tijuana, Mexico - just across the border from San Diego, USA.

When we crossed into Mexico the tourist map we were given showed the town centre about a mile walk away.  Everybody seemed to want to get there by taxi and the queue was massive so I decided a nice stroll would be a better option.  How wrong was I.

What a massive difference in the riches and infrastructure of America and this large Mexican city.

First time I've seen poverty first hand and I kind of get why so many people around the world want to get into countries like ours.

Even saying all this Tijuana was a modern built up city, in a westernised county so God knows what real shit holes are out there in the worlds poor countries?

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy wrote:I've been lucky to have travelled around a bit but mostly to the touristy bits in Europe and north America and had the chance to have a day trip to Tijuana, Mexico - just across the border from San Diego, USA.

When we crossed into Mexico the tourist map we were given showed the town centre about a mile walk away.  Everybody seemed to want to get there by taxi and the queue was massive so I decided a nice stroll would be a better option.  How wrong was I.

What a massive difference in the riches and infrastructure of America and this large Mexican city.

First time I've seen poverty first hand and I kind of get why so many people around the world want to get into countries like ours.

Even saying all this Tijuana was a modern built up city, in a westernised county so God knows what real shit holes are out there in the worlds poor countries?

Nice answer Sluffy. That sounded pretty dangerous walking it in those sort of places. Mexico sounds a proper dangerous place.

I have heard that places like Liberia, Guyana, Papua New Guinea, etc have really terrible shit holes with enormous poverty and crime.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I didn't feel threatened at all, just more of a shock as to the poverty behind the scenes.

I guess we just take for granted that even the laziest scrounger in this country will still be provided with a home, food and money by the state - ie us the taxpayers.

Bit different when there is no handouts and those without much have to fend for themselves.

You can see why when people have nothing that getting involved with the drug cartels (Mexico) or maybe those who feel disenfranchised in Syria/Iraq - Islamic State, seems to be the obvious way to go.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Rotterdam closely followed by London.

I don't really like cities

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Merthyr Tydfyl

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Coventry is the worst town I've ever been to in my life. And I've travelled a fair bit.

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I'm sure some of the most deprived areas of Mexico are more salubrious than Breightmet. It seems a few people are getting agitated about The Rocket being pulled down.

Why not just keep the pub and demolish the rest of Breightmet instead.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i'm surprised the Rocket lasted this long, it was always rough

Coventry's absymal. The football league we used to play in ended up taking Coventry teams so I got to tour some of it's worst areas. Wolverhampton is pretty shitty too.

I ended up staying a couple of nights in Sunny Beach Bulgaria whilst Inter railing, seriously horrible place.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Goole.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Went to Istanbul many years ago, the contrast between rich and poor is next door. Took a wrong turn and found it rather intimidating, never set foot in Turkey since that holiday, and no inclination to do so.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:Went to Istanbul many years ago, the contrast between rich and poor is next door. Took a wrong turn and found it rather intimidating, never set foot in Turkey since that holiday, and no inclination to do so.

You soft bastard.

Havana's a weird one.

Fascinating place and I really enjoyed it but large parts of it are properly shit.

Like Beirut with more cigars.

This is the view from the rooftop terrace of our hotel:

Where is the biggest shit hole you have ever been? Hotel-parque-central-large-city-view

If you look carefully in the background on the left, you can just about make out a block of flats with no external walls.

But with people living in them.....

Soul Kitchen wrote:Went to Istanbul many years ago, the contrast between rich and poor is next door. Took a wrong turn and found it rather intimidating, never set foot in Turkey since that holiday, and no inclination to do so.

One of the most interesting and vibrant cities I've ever visited.

Breadman wrote:Havana's a weird one.

Fascinating place and I really enjoyed it but large parts of it are properly shit.

Like Beirut with more cigars.

This is the view from the rooftop terrace of our hotel:

Where is the biggest shit hole you have ever been? Hotel-parque-central-large-city-view

If you look carefully in the background on the left, you can just about make out a block of flats with no external walls.

But with people living in them.....
that is unbelievable.  is it like proper slums?

Yeah.

Abject poverty.

We were drinking Mojitos in the bar one minute then standing open-mouthed at the poverty 2 minutes later.

And it's not an act for the tourists.

The rep said to us "If you leave the hotel, you're ok for about half a mile straight ahead to the Capitol Building, about 500 yards if you go left and about 200 if you take a right. In fact, I'd recommend you stick to the main road down to the Malecon (the prom) and don't turn off it. And don't hang around too long down there on your own. And definitely get back before dark. Have a great day!"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum