Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Budget

+13
Sluffy
Hipster_Nebula
Copper Dragon
karlypants
Fabians Right Peg
Bollotom2014
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
okocha
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
Norpig
rammywhite
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 21:28

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Fabians Right Peg wrote:
I don't believe it.. people still buy the radio times... I havn't seen a copy of that since xmas 1983.

They're at virtually every supermarket checkout in the country.

And it's still the most popular magazine in the UK.

Only ever used to get it at xmas with a copy of the TV Times never understood the idea of having two TV listing magazines once a year but was a bit of a family tradition.

I'm sure my dad used to check one then the other just in case there was something different on the same channel. Suspect

22The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 21:31

rammywhite wrote:I sat and watched the whole thing hoping that there might be something in it  for me- but as usual there wasn't much. The only things that caught my eye was Teresa May flashing some cleavage during his speech, and then Jeremy Corbyns pathetic attempt to rubbish it.

Did it affect you at all?

How exactly have Osborne's economic policies succeeded so far? By his own measures he's failed on every single target.

Austerity is an excuse to shrink the state, and we're seeing why it's a poor economic choice during a recession. A stimulus package similar to that of Obama's in the US - and like the one New Labour introduced (which was working) is the correct course to take. 

I haven't had a chance to look closely at the budget yet, but the academisation of all state schools pissed me off enough yesterday, especially when he has the audacity to preach about the importance of devolved power.

23The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 21:35

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

bwfc1874 wrote:
rammywhite wrote:I sat and watched the whole thing hoping that there might be something in it  for me- but as usual there wasn't much. The only things that caught my eye was Teresa May flashing some cleavage during his speech, and then Jeremy Corbyns pathetic attempt to rubbish it.

Did it affect you at all?

Austerity is an excuse to shrink the state

What would be the purpose of this?

24The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 21:41

It's no secret that Osborne wants to shrink the state to a pre-war size, google it yourself. Others will explain better than me but the basic premise is that the free market will look after its stakeholders through supply and demand, governments are not needed to control it. Basic Liberal view is that the people should be free to govern themselves without government interference - or an excuse to flog state assets to the highest bidder.

25The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 21:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:How exactly have Osborne's economic policies succeeded so far? By his own measures he's failed on every single target.

Austerity is an excuse to shrink the state, and we're seeing why it's a poor economic choice during a recession. A stimulus package similar to that of Obama's in the US - and like the one New Labour introduced (which was working) is the correct course to take. 

I haven't had a chance to look closely at the budget yet, but the academisation of all state schools pissed me off enough yesterday, especially when he has the audacity to preach about the importance of devolved power.

If the Tories made everyone a millionaire and created world peace, you'd still moan.

The fact is, that whatever the Tories do you'll complain.

26The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 22:30

Give it a rest Nat, and tell me which part of what I've said above is wrong. You're either in denial or you have absolutely no idea what ideology drives the government you voted for.

27The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 22:49

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Give it a rest Nat, and tell me which part of what I've said above is wrong. You're either in denial or you have absolutely no idea what ideology drives the government you voted for.
:clap:

28The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 22:58

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:It's no secret that Osborne wants to shrink the state to a pre-war size

The illegal Iraq war?

If you're talking about before any other war then you're completely mental.

29The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 23:01

Nothing mental about it, it's no secret he announced his plans himself. You're either not listening or have a very short memory.

30The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 23:08

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

So which 'war' are you talking about?

We could shrink the state to below the Crimean War if we killed 30 plus million people.

31The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 23:10

I'm not your mother and I'm not going to spell it out for you. Everybody else in the country understands the term pre-war, catch up.

32The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 23:17

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:I'm not your mother and I'm not going to spell it out for you. Everybody else in the country understands the term pre-war, catch up.

I understand it, but I'm saying that you're completely mental and going over the old ground of a bullshit politician.

Cable described the Osborne plans to bring public spending down to 35 % of GDP as “wholly unrealistic”.

It's gone cocker

33The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 23:22

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was actually difficult to watch Corbyn's rebuttal. 

I've nothing against the man but he has about as much political clout as a chocolate pudding and his oratory skills are appalling. 

absolutely hilarious when he said the economy needed a Labour government. Almost wet myself.

34The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Wed Mar 16 2016, 23:35

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't think that Corbyn could run a bath without setting the ducks and loofahs against each other.

35The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Thu Mar 17 2016, 00:20

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc1874 wrote:I'm not your mother and I'm not going to spell it out for you. Everybody else in the country understands the term pre-war, catch up.

I always think of pre-war as being before WWII.

If we are talking about this then shrinking the state to this level would be absolutely staggering and all but impossible to achieve without causing riots on the street.

For instance the NHS only came into being AFTER the war (1948).

In fact the whole of the British modern day society was born AFTER WWII.

William Beverage (Labour) basically built on the building blocks of the previous Conservative and Liberal reform initiatives in the first half of the twentieth century to 'fight' the "five giant evils" of British society of the time namely -

Want - The National Insurance scheme became universal to protect people 'from cradle to grave' - it basically was the birth of the benefit and pension system we have today.

Disease - the creation of a free health care service for everyone - the NHS.

Squalor - the creation of affordable housing for everyone - until Thatcher stopped the creation of council houses and reduced the stock by right to buy legislation.

Ignorance - raising the compulsory education level to 15 years of age - which has been since risen to 16 years of age.

and

Idleness - the change of government economic policy to Keynesism (J M Keynes) which was changed to monetarism theory under the Thatcher government.

So even though two of the 'giants' are now addressed differently from nearly 70 years ago, I doubt very much that any government could save the equivalent it would cost to scrap the complete benefit state, the nations health service and ending education for all 15 and 16 year olds.

Maybe some on here are too young to remember what happened when Thatcher tried to introduce the poll tax (which after all was simply only a means to bring about a fairer way of raising income than the existing Rates system (we now have the Council Tax system) - but that led to riots across the country and the down fall of Thatcher as Prime Minister - and that would be nothing compared to what would happen if such draconian cuts equivalent to scrapping benefits, pensions and the NHS were actually attempted by Osborne or anyone else!

36The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Thu Mar 17 2016, 07:57

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I simply can't believe that anyone would target the poor and disabled to bear the brunt of austerity whilst easing the load on the better-off in society. 
O's policies lack fairness and compassion; many Tories themselves will rebel against such hard-heartedness. 
Sugar tax is largely a smokescreen to divert attention from his failures and gloomy forecasts. 

Incidentally, sugar reduction in the diet is just one part of the solution to combating childhood obesity. Schools are beginning to introduce fun, vigorous, daily exercise in the playground before school starts, a simple effective scheme that began in Scotland and is now spreading like wildfire. Sugar taxes in other countries have been unsuccessful.

37The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Thu Mar 17 2016, 08:04

Copper Dragon wrote:

I understand it, but I'm saying that you're completely mental and going over the old ground of a bullshit politician.

Cable described the Osborne plans to bring public spending down to 35 % of GDP as “wholly unrealistic”.

It's gone cocker

True, it's an unrealistic target, but the issue is that's what he wants to achieve and that's the ideology I have a problem with. He's already sold off more of in state assets than any other Government in history (he did it in about 5 years, consider how long Thatchers government were pottering about for. They've done and continue to do irreversible damage to this country IMO. Academisation of all state schools just the latest.

38The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Thu Mar 17 2016, 09:42

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Turning state schools into academies is a cop-out imo. Apart from annual Ofsted inspections the local education authorities have no control of academies. Many academies are actually failing and have run out of money so it's a no from me.

39The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Thu Mar 17 2016, 19:03

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

The dirty slimy bastard as abolished working tax credits from april 2016 and no one as noticed.

40The Budget - Page 2 Empty Re: The Budget Thu Mar 17 2016, 20:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lard Lad wrote:The dirty slimy bastard as abolished working tax credits from april 2016 and no one as noticed.

Lie. Get your facts right AD.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum