Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Supermarket wars

+9
Bollotom2014
scottjames30
boltonbonce
Bwfc1958
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
whatsgoingon
Sluffy
wanderlust
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Supermarket wars Empty Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:07

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In the 12 months to July, Tesco and Sainsbury's shares fell by 4% and 2.5% respectively on the back of worse than expected sales. Where did the sales go? The big German discounters Lidl and Aldi were the main winners both increasing their market share and improving their share price even further (>10% increase!)
Back in March it was announced that the Germans were also taking market share from Asda and Morrison's so we already knew that they were on the rise and TBF the quality of Lidl and Aldi's stuff is nowadays comparable with the "Big 4" - but a lot cheaper.
Great for British consumers because basically we are getting decent food cheaper than we have ever done. 
But I'm wondering what will happen going forward bearing in mind that buying in cheap European goods is affected by the exchange rate?
A year ago we were laughing. The pound was worth 1.4 and a bit euros, although that was near the peak and it gradually fell back to stabilise at just under 1.3. But instead of fighting back as the pound had in the past, we had the referendum and down it went again. After a rough week or so it started to stabilise again - but at a much lower level and for the last three weeks it's been steady between 1.18. and 1.2 so that is starting to look like the new baseline which we'll have to get used to - a devaluation of about 8 to 9% minimum.
My understanding is that both Lidl and Aldi buy centrally in Germany so the exchange rate shouldn't affect their procurement as they'll be buying in Euros whereas the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury's will have to buy with pounds which will drive their prices up even further. Asda (Walmart) might be OK if their American bosses procure for them.

So it all looks set for even more foreign supermarkets coming in and those that are here taking even more market share from British supermarkets. 

But there is another factor at play. If Lidl and Aldi keep their prices at or about current levels their profits will fall significantly because they are selling in pounds  which are worth a lot less since the referendum - and that won't please their shareholders.

I'm thinking that the British supermarkets will have to increase their prices - or lower their quality - and that the German and other foreign discounters will also have to increase their prices - but will retain/grow their market share anyway as they'll still be cheaper than the Brits.

What do you reckon will happen?

2Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I think the world will still carry on turning no matter how much you keep banging on about the Brexit result.

You must be a right barrel of laughs at home if you're as obsessed about it there as you are on here.

Rolling Eyes

3Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:37

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Congratulations on a very creative way to say the same thing but in a different way, can we expect a buying European cars thread tomorrow and then package holidays the day after with the same message effectively cut and pasted in. Rolling Eyes

4Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:In the 12 months to July, Tesco and Sainsbury's shares fell by 4% and 2.5% respectively on the back of worse than expected sales. Where did the sales go? The big German discounters Lidl and Aldi were the main winners both increasing their market share and improving their share price even further (>10% increase!)
Back in March it was announced that the Germans were also taking market share from Asda and Morrison's so we already knew that they were on the rise and TBF the quality of Lidl and Aldi's stuff is nowadays comparable with the "Big 4" - but a lot cheaper.
Great for British consumers because basically we are getting decent food cheaper than we have ever done. 
But I'm wondering what will happen going forward bearing in mind that buying in cheap European goods is affected by the exchange rate?
A year ago we were laughing. The pound was worth 1.4 and a bit euros, although that was near the peak and it gradually fell back to stabilise at just under 1.3. But instead of fighting back as the pound had in the past, we had the referendum and down it went again. After a rough week or so it started to stabilise again - but at a much lower level and for the last three weeks it's been steady between 1.18. and 1.2 so that is starting to look like the new baseline which we'll have to get used to - a devaluation of about 8 to 9% minimum.
My understanding is that both Lidl and Aldi buy centrally in Germany so the exchange rate shouldn't affect their procurement as they'll be buying in Euros whereas the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury's will have to buy with pounds which will drive their prices up even further. Asda (Walmart) might be OK if their American bosses procure for them.

So it all looks set for even more foreign supermarkets coming in and those that are here taking even more market share from British supermarkets. 

But there is another factor at play. If Lidl and Aldi keep their prices at or about current levels their profits will fall significantly because they are selling in pounds  which are worth a lot less since the referendum - and that won't please their shareholders.

I'm thinking that the British supermarkets will have to increase their prices - or lower their quality - and that the German and other foreign discounters will also have to increase their prices - but will retain/grow their market share anyway as they'll still be cheaper than the Brits.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, shut the fuck up.

We're leaving the EU, no amount of shit-boring posts are going to change that.

5Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:45

Don't read the thread if you're not interested, I don't click on the Dinner thread because I don't give two shits what you lot eat.

Follow my example.

6Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:51

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I think the world will still carry on turning no matter how much you keep banging on about the Brexit result.

You must be a right barrel of laughs at home if you're as obsessed about it there as you are on here.

Rolling Eyes
Very Happy

7Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:54

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

bwfc1874 wrote:Don't read the thread if you're not interested, I don't click on the Dinner thread because I don't give two shits what you lot eat.

Follow my example.
How dare you. My daily eating habits are something that should be appreciated by one and all. You have no idea what you're missing out on. 

How do you feel about tinned tomatoes.....?

8Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc1874 wrote:Don't read the thread if you're not interested, I don't click on the Dinner thread because I don't give two shits what you lot eat.

Follow my example.

To be fair to most of us we aren't clairvoyant and stupidly though this thread was about supermarkets and not Brexit.

Our mistake - sorry.

9Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:57

Sluffy wrote:

Follow my example.

To be fair to most of us we aren't clairvoyant and stupidly though this thread was about supermarkets and not Brexit.

Our mistake - sorry.

So once you realise it's about the EU click off if you're not interested in reading it.

Surely the entire point of this and any forum is that people can discuss what's on their minds?

10Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:58

Bwfc1958 wrote:

Follow my example.
How dare you. My daily eating habits are something that should be appreciated by one and all. You have no idea what you're missing out on. 

By tinned do you mean chopped or plum?

11Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 14:59

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I think the world will still carry on turning no matter how much you keep banging on about the Brexit result.
You may not have noticed but this is the world turning. It's today's news. Or is it a case of "job done" after the vote for you? Interesting that it seems that all the big gobs that were shooting off before the referendum have either resigned, shut up or covered their eyes and ears whilst chanting "la la la la la la" in an effort not to pay any attention to what's actually happening in the world and to the country they have the downright cheek to claim they care for. (Apart from that fat Turkish bloke with a Russian mum who was born in the USA - they made him British Foreign Secretary Shocked )

You may be in denial but the referendum result WILL affect our quality of life and if you think that isn't worthy of discussion in it's various forms (e.g. how will our shopping habits change?) - after some of the shite threads you have allowed on here - you need help my friend.

Let me know if you want me to stick to alien conspiracies, pregnant teenagers and what I had for tea. Trouble is none of that was in the grown up newspapers today whereas Tesco and Sainsbury's financial problems were.

12Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Very Happy
Supermarket wars Annual-Membership Very Happy

13Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ocado. It's the future. :good:

14Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:05

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

bwfc1874 wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:

Follow my example.

By tinned do you mean chopped or plum?
Chopped of course, what do you take me for? Some kind of weirdo?

15Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:In the 12 months to July, Tesco and Sainsbury's shares fell by 4% and 2.5% respectively on the back of worse than expected sales. Where did the sales go? The big German discounters Lidl and Aldi were the main winners both increasing their market share and improving their share price even further (>10% increase!)

I think I speak for everyone when I say, shut the fuck up.

We're leaving the EU, no amount of shit-boring posts are going to change that.
Of course we're leaving the EU and that affects everything and will increasingly affect things going forward as our new economic circumstances start to kick in. Change is what you wanted isn't it?

I totally understand that Leave voters no longer want to watch the news or see what's happening in the world, but you can't feel stupid and guilty about what you've done forever. We are leaving the EU so you're going to have to move on and start to live with it.

Britain voted for change and now it's happening you don't want to know?
Grow up. Accept what's happening and above all, face facts.

There is very little that leaving the EU won't affect so if you want to have discussions about anything, you have to recognise that fact.

16Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:17

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
You may not have noticed but this is the world turning. It's today's news. Or is it a case of "job done" after the vote for you? Interesting that it seems that all the big gobs that were shooting off before the referendum have either resigned, shut up or covered their eyes and ears whilst chanting "la la la la la la" in an effort not to pay any attention to what's actually happening in the world and to the country they have the downright cheek to claim they care for. (Apart from that fat Turkish bloke with a Russian mum who was born in the USA - they made him British Foreign Secretary Shocked )

You may be in denial but the referendum result WILL affect our quality of life and if you think that isn't worthy of discussion in it's various forms (e.g. how will our shopping habits change?) - after some of the shite threads you have allowed on here - you need help my friend.

Let me know if you want me to stick to alien conspiracies, pregnant teenagers and what I had for tea. Trouble is none of that was in the grown up newspapers today whereas Tesco and Sainsbury's financial problems were.

I learned a trick many, many years ago when dealing with members of the public who simply wouldn't let an issue that burned bright with them drop, and that was to ask them 'what do you want me to do?'.

I can't change the Brexit result and it plainly looks that those who possibly might - the politicians aren't going to do it either - probably because the majority of their electorate voted for it.

The only possible way it won't happen is if a General Election is called and one party stands for Remaining in the EU and the other stands for continuing Brexit - and that isn't going to happen either as ALL the major party's want to remain.

So what exactly do you want me to do about it?  What do you want Nuts to do about it?  Or you wife, or your mates or the young kids you play 5-a-side with?

Maybe it will mean a shittier financial life for all of us - but what do you want us to do about it exactly?

Another old trick I learned was never complain about a problem until I had a solution to it - so what is your solution to the Brexit result in which the vast majority of constituencies (both Conservative AND Labour) voted to leave the EU.

So what exactly is your solution - just keep on bellyaching about it forever more?

Is that it!

Last edited by Sluffy on Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:27; edited 1 time in total

17Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:26

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Very Happy
Supermarket wars Annual-Membership Very Happy

I of course expected nothing less from you.

I complained about the actions of the ST at the time - and within a timeframe where things could, if they wished, be addressed.

They chose their path and it seemingly led now to obscurity for them.

You reap what you sow.

18Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:There is very little that leaving the EU won't affect so if you want to have discussions about anything, you have to recognise that fact.

The point is you have started the same conversation on a different topic. There are already a million Brexit topics with you and Breadman having breakdowns.

I thought this was going to be about supermarkets, and where the cheapest 8 pack of Pepsi can be bought.

19Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:32

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bwfc1958 wrote:

Follow my example.

Have you tried Mash's Peri Peri yet mate, had it last night and it was bang on form.

20Supermarket wars Empty Re: Supermarket wars Tue Jul 26 2016, 15:35

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I didn't know ASDA was British, I thought they was American?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum