Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Donate Your Organs: Should You Be Able To Choose?

+5
xmiles
aaron_bwfc
bwfc71
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was reading an interesting article yesterday while at my chiropractors. As you are probably aware, a very small percentage of the nation are registered organ donors. The government is looking at an "opt out" scheme rather than the current "opt in" one. But that is years away, even in the unlikely event it goes ahead.

This article, however, suggested a way to greatly increase the amount of donors in this country would be to allow the dead person (while he or she was alive!) stipulate who can or cannot have his/her organs upon his/her death.

In other words, the dead person could say no Man Utd fans must get his organs, or no white people, or no homosexuals, or no one over 50 etc etc.

So what do you think? It disgusts me that someone could stipulate that only a white person could get their organs but is this a case "for the greater good?" It would get more people registered as donors and save more lives.

Is saving lives more important than prejudice in this case?

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I dont think you should be able to dictate where your organs go...Thats just ridiculous

I agree with the opt out scheme though...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:I dont think you should be able to dictate where your organs go...Thats just ridiculous

But why is it ridiculous? Research shows it would save more lives....isn't life the biggest most important thing ever?

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

1. I agree with the opt-out regime rather than the opt-in

2. Definitely disagree with the discrimination solution

3. What publication did you read this so-called research (and who paid for the research)?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:

3. What publication did you read this so-called research

Heat.

There's some truth to this, I would definitely be more inclined to be a donor if I could ensure no Bolton fan would get my organs.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I don't know what all the fuss is about really, after i'm gone they can use my parts to help other people if they se wish.

It's not like i'm going to need thmm and if it saves a life then that can only be a good thing.

I've got a doner card but I've not signed it because I want someone else to use it after I die.

Opting out is a good solution, but if your donating your organs what difference does it make who they end up with.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

OneOinCoyle wrote:

Opting out is a good solution, but if your donating your organs what difference does it make who they end up with.

It doesn't matter to you and I, but a lot of people won't donate their organs because they don't want them in certain types of people.

I would normally say "fuck em" but when it comes to life and death I'd rather have more people with a donors card.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:
OneOinCoyle wrote:

It doesn't matter to you and I, but a lot of people won't donate their organs because they don't want them in certain types of people.

I would normally say "fuck em" but when it comes to life and death I'd rather have more people with a donors card.

But if we switch to an opt out scheme that will save more lives.

Joking aside I don't think a scheme that lets you choose who can or cannot receive your organs is workable any way.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
BoltonTillIDie wrote:I dont think you should be able to dictate where your organs go...Thats just ridiculous

But why is it ridiculous? Research shows it would save more lives....isn't life the biggest most important thing ever?

Its ridiculous because its discrimination, and it wouldnt save more lives, it would just be more selective of who's lives they will save.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'd be happy for my organs to go to anyone other than a convicted rapist, child murderer or pedophile.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:

Its ridiculous because its discrimination, and it wouldnt save more lives, it would just be more selective of who's lives they will save.

It is discrimination, but take Largehat's example - would you want your organs going to a criminal?

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

largehat wrote:I'd be happy for my organs to go to anyone other than a convicted rapist, child murderer or pedophile.

How would you know if they will or won't? - remember you'd be dead when your organs are removed. plus, does it really matter as to where your organs go - just as long as they help another human being.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Obviously i'd rather not have them go to an 'underserving' person.

but as Chris says, i'd be dead. Honestly I'm not arsed.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc71 wrote:
How would you know if they will or won't? - remember you'd be dead when your organs are removed.

That's like saying, don't bother making a will, how do you know your estate will go to your kids - remember you'd be dead when the will is executed.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't have a will!

With either an opting-in or opting-out system, of organ donation, you cannot choose who can have or have not your organs as the recipients and givers are meant to be anonymous - as it should be.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc71 wrote:I don't have a will!

With either an opting-in or opting-out system, of organ donation, you cannot choose who can have or have not your organs as the recipients and givers are meant to be anonymous - as it should be.

Have you read the original post? This is a thread about whether, if you could 'discriminate' over how your organs would be used, whether that should happen. It would save lives. Some people don't like the idea of their organs going to just anyone. People have ethical, moral, religious or other objections.

For example, there might be people out there who would only want their organs to go to Jewish people, white people and so on. They are not on the organ register because of this. It's their body.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

largehat wrote:
For example, there might be people out there who would only want their organs to go to Jewish people, white people and so on. They are not on the organ register because of this. It's their body.

Are there really significant numbers of these people?

Either way if we adopt the opt out system like Spain more lives will be saved.

bwfc71 wrote:I don't have a will!

You don't need one, you've eaten everything you own.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum