Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks?

+9
wanderlust
Norpig
Hip Priest
finlaymcdanger
gloswhite
rammywhite
Sluffy
Cajunboy
xmiles
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 16:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just my opinion of course. Very Happy

2Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 16:32

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Has Nat hijacked your account?

3Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 16:33

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Just my opinion of course. Very Happy
:agree:

4Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 16:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Has Nat hijacked your account?
I'm bored.  Razz

5Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 16:34

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We're getting the 50th anniversary rammed down our throats,and to be quite honest,I just don't get the hype.

6Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 16:36

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

OK I'll play.

I disagree, it is a great pop album and very influential although by no means a personal favourite of mine. I am not a fan of pop music.

7Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 16:41

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some decent tracks,I grant you that,but nothing special.

8Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 16:44

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:We're getting the 50th anniversary rammed down our throats,and to be quite honest,I just don't get the hype.

Maybe Engelbert is more your taste?

Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? UMe_Engelbert_Humperdinck_50

9Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 16:47

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Certainly not Sluffy. Shocked 

As for The Beatles,I think 'Revolver' trumps Pepper every time.

10Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 17:52

boltonbonce wrote:Certainly not Sluffy. Shocked 

As for The Beatles,I think 'Revolver' trumps Pepper every time.
:agree:

11Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 18:02

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'm old enough to remember it coming out. It was quite revolutionary at the time. My opinion of it hasn't changed much. Fantastic tunes, but inane lyrics.

12Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 19:47

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

one of the best, and most influential LP's of all time. have to say the lyrics are 'different', but there again, they were high most of the time when this was done, (allegedly)

13Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 19:58

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Overrated bollocks is a bit harsh for such a classic album but I agree that Revolver is much superior. A Day in the Life is one of my favourite Beatles songs (Tomorrow Never Knows being the best) though so Sgt. Peppers still right up there despite some dull moments.

14Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 21:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was the first pop album to unashamedly write for people taking acid so it's no surprise that most folk don't get it and even though it was naive it set the tone for thousands of albums that tried - and mainly failed to emulate it e.g. Everything the dead and a thousand other hippie bands did. Plus they had the commercial sense to get back into the mainstream asap afterwards.

Beatles were as pop as Abba and take that but only the Beatles could get away with doing something as avant garde as that album - and still go on to outsell every band since.
They did it because they could. Plus they pushed the boundaries of recording technology in doing it. Like it or hate it it changed music forever.

15Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 21:46

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Well summed up Wander.

16Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 22:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Like it or hate it it changed music forever.
Correct.
Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? T61634788-gTa6iwkye2m7ctgetwzeye5xbxpu_s400

17Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Sun Jun 04 2017, 22:39

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:It was the first pop album to unashamedly write for people taking acid so it's no surprise that most folk don't get it and even though it was naive it set the tone for thousands of albums that tried - and mainly failed to emulate it e.g. Everything the dead and a thousand other hippie bands did. Plus they had the commercial sense to get back into the mainstream asap afterwards.

Beatles were as pop as Abba and take that but only the Beatles could get away with doing something as avant garde as that album - and still go on to outsell every band since.
They did it because they could. Plus they pushed the boundaries of recording technology in doing it. Like it or hate it it changed music forever.

I don't think the Grateful Dead or any other "hippie" bands really tried to emulate Sgt Pepper although they were influenced by it. The most obvious attempt to emulate it was probably the Rolling Stones' Satanic Majesties.

I also disagree with your suggestion that they went back into the main stream asap. The follow up White Album is their least pop album although it does have some great pop songs on it.

18Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Mon Jun 05 2017, 01:22

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

xmiles wrote:
wanderlust wrote:It was the first pop album to unashamedly write for people taking acid so it's no surprise that most folk don't get it and even though it was naive it set the tone for thousands of albums that tried - and mainly failed to emulate it e.g. Everything the dead and a thousand other hippie bands did. Plus they had the commercial sense to get back into the mainstream asap afterwards.

I don't think the Grateful Dead or any other "hippie" bands really tried to emulate Sgt Pepper although they were influenced by it. The most obvious attempt to emulate it was probably the Rolling Stones' Satanic Majesties.

I also disagree with your suggestion that they went back into the main stream asap. The follow up White Album is their least pop album although it does have some great pop songs on it.

Pretty much agree with Xmiles here. Sgt pepper was a great English pop album that has been seriously over hyped over the years. I don't think groups like the Dead/Airplane etc tried to emulate it in any way. I wouldn't even say they were influenced by it. (Just my opinion)

19Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Mon Jun 05 2017, 08:30

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How many albums before SP used tape multi tracking in the same way, had the luxury of employing an orchestra and had lyrics. of that nature? Sure it followed on from the Ginsberg us folk scene and a handful of experimental sounds including th Beatles themselves e.g. Lucy which was a couple of years earlier but nothing had been done on that scale by artists with global reach can't remember if bathing at baxters came out earlier but even that didn't impact the mainstream audience to th same degree. I imagine the Beatles made the record as an exploration for a niche market and were shocked by its commercial success

20Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Mon Jun 05 2017, 08:57

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:How many albums before SP  used tape multi tracking in the same way, had the luxury of employing an orchestra and had lyrics. of that nature?  Sure it followed on from the Ginsberg us folk scene and a handful of experimental sounds including th Beatles themselves e.g. Lucy which was a couple of years earlier but nothing had been done on that scale by artists with global reach can't remember if bathing at baxters came out earlier but even that didn't impact the mainstream audience to th same degree. I imagine the Beatles made the record as an exploration for a niche market and were shocked by its commercial success

I think the Beatles admitted that they were influenced by Pet Sounds, particularly with regard to the use of an orchestra.

I still enjoy listening to After Bathing At Baxter's. Pretty certain it came out after SP and I doubt it sold as well as Surrealistic Pillow.

This discussion is making me very nostalgic as the music you hear in your teenage years always has a special place in your memory.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum