Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks?

+9
wanderlust
Norpig
Hip Priest
finlaymcdanger
gloswhite
rammywhite
Sluffy
Cajunboy
xmiles
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Mon Jun 05 2017, 10:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

True XM. Memories are music, and music is memories.

22Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Mon Jun 05 2017, 11:26

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

4 track recording had only just come out i think so before that everything was done live and straight to tape, but the Beatles were massively influenced and wanted to better Pet Sounds.

I did a sound engineering course many years ago and i remember we sat and watched a very good documentary on how they actually used the 4 tracks, they still had to share lots of tracks which made it very difficult. Throw in the fact that in those days the tape had to be cut and moved around to create different effects  and it shows what a genius George Martin was.

These days it's all digital and as many tracks as you want so there was far more skill involved in those days. The most i ever used as part of my course was a 16 track studio and that was daunting enough. 
Wish i stuck with it and tried to make a career out of it rather than washing bed pans  Very Happy

23Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Mon Jun 05 2017, 12:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I still write a bit using Logic Pro and everything that Martin struggled with can be done these days more or less at the touch of a button. That said it is hard to capture the dirty sound of overdubbing which SP has when he pioneered dumping 4 on to 1 again and again.

24Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Mon Jun 05 2017, 13:40

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here's Macca with my hero,Ivor Cutler. Cutler and The Beatles are linked,but that's another story.

Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 2138411058

25Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Mon Jun 05 2017, 22:41

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm still waiting for the first decent Fabs song never mind album!
Pure unadulterated slush, not in the same league as Middle of the Road!!
Whoo wee chirpy chirpy cheep cheep.

26Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 12:27

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Dont forget The Archies as well  Very Happy

27Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:02

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

gloswhite wrote:Dont forget The Archies as well  Very Happy
I found them to be too heavy, Des came up with some good stuff Dick a dum dum was very underrated ,would have thought it bounces type of thing.

28Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not really AD. Ronnie Hilton was the business.

29Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:05

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I met des once he was handing out leaflets in woolworths he was all smart and tanned, I gave him my Autograph.

30Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What was he advertising? Cuprinol?

31Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:09

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

boltonbonce wrote:Not really AD. Ronnie Hilton was the business.
Theme tune to Van Der Valk if I remember.

32Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:18

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

boltonbonce wrote:What was he advertising? Cuprinol?
No he opened it, I guess the manager lost his key. He was certainly getting some old lady attention never seen anything like it. I think the leaflets were a discount off something Dentufix maybe.He looked a bit tasty like he could handle himself if the old girls got too frisky like.

33Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This was VDV. Shame he drove past the river when the Incontinence Society's swimming gala was taking place.

34Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:33

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

boltonbonce wrote:This was VDV. Shame he drove past the river when the Incontinence Society's swimming gala was taking 
Always though he'd have made a decent Jack Regan had John Thaw turned it down not as good mind.

35Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good call. That set me to thinking about other parts that could have been played by someone else.

For instance,the part of Capt. Mainwaring in Dad's army,was very nearly played by Harry Secombe.

36Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:43

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

boltonbonce wrote:Good call. That set me to thinking about other parts that could have been played by someone else.

For instance,the part of Capt. Mainwaring in Dad's army,was very nearly played by Harry Secombe.
And they originally wanted Arthur Lowe to play Wilson and Le messurier to play mainwaring.

37Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:45

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

How did this get from Sgt Peppers ??

38Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 16:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's typical Nuts.  Stand by for a slipper update.

39Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 18:26

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The album itself is a tad overrated but the influence of it and the Beatles themselves is not. When that came out people were listening to Herman Hermits, Freddie and the Dreamers etc......basically Labor club acts only famous because of the 60's scene etc.

You would have a job on to name another album to this day that has such a wide range of different types of songs...instruments, arrangements......certainly nowt as influential. IMO

40Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sgt. Pepper...Overrated bollocks? Tue Jun 06 2017, 20:24

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

gloswhite wrote:Dont forget The Archies as well  Very Happy
Vastly overrated, Hilda Woodward and her band hit the spot though. Mouldy old crow!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum