Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Person Of Interest

+5
xmiles
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 10:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I really enjoyed Person of Interest last night, best new show I've seen in ages. I hope it keeps up the standard.

22Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:21

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I've just watched this pilot.

It's like Michel Foucault had a wet dream in a postmodern world of slick, stylised violence, heavily influenced by Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis' and Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner'.

In this world, a computer conveniently spits out the social security number of an individual who is about to be involved in some way, in some bad shit.

In response, a twenty first century Michael Knight is dispatched to find out what the score is, identify the bad guys, and engineer their downfall through a combination of neat gadgetry, never-miss marksmanship and pithy one-liners delivered through a mouth that is never more than half open.

Naturally, the bad guys are the establishment and authority figures and the victims of these machinations are wide-eyed ethnic minorities, dragged into a spaghetti plot by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

'Person if Interest' is a voyeuristic glance into a paranoid post-911 world of absolute state control of information, the all-seeing eye of Stanley Kubrick's HAL-9000 and a bespectacled, reformed industralist (like the hero, obviously, also legally dead) who is drip-fed these social security numbers and creates a collage of these people on his office wall, where they form a sort of pre-determined dead pool.

Once you accept and learn to live with the idea that the basic premise is ludicrous, you're thrown into a detective story about writing wrongs which haven't yet occurred. Imagine a hybrid between Scott Bakula in 'Quantum Leap' and Lorenzo Lamas in 'Renegade' and you will have a grasp on how humourless, contrived and unoriginal these escapades are.

I will give 'Person of Interest' about two more weeks to, well, pique my interest.

23Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:
Imagine a hybrid between Scott Bakula in 'Quantum Leap' and Lorenzo Lamas in 'Renegade' and you will have a grasp on how humourless, contrived and unoriginal these escapades are.

Oh give it a rest, do you have to analyse everything as though it's a mathematical problem.

Sometimes I just want to watch something that's easy on the eye, has a simple plot, and lots of action and beating up of bad guys.

I bet you're a dream date down the cinema.

24Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:45

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat, study some film theory, it's fascinating and gives you a whole new perspective on visual media.

No wonder you didn't like Freaks and Geeks.

25Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Nat, study some film theory, it's fascinating and gives you a whole new perspective on visual media.

No wonder you didn't like Freaks and Geeks.

It's not a film, it's a tv series on Channel 5 aimed at the masses. I enjoyed it, and in my house that is all that matters.

26Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:52

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Either give me a full Proppian reading of it, or stay out of this thread!

27Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:55

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

largehat wrote:I've just watched this pilot.

It's like Michel Foucault had a wet dream in a postmodern world of slick, stylised violence, heavily influenced by Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis' and Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner'.

In this world, a computer conveniently spits out the social security number of an individual who is about to be involved in some way, in some bad shit.

In response, a twenty first century Michael Knight is dispatched to find out what the score is, identify the bad guys, and engineer their downfall through a combination of neat gadgetry, never-miss marksmanship and pithy one-liners delivered through a mouth that is never more than half open.

Naturally, the bad guys are the establishment and authority figures and the victims of these machinations are wide-eyed ethnic minorities, dragged into a spaghetti plot by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

'Person if Interest' is a voyeuristic glance into a paranoid post-911 world of absolute state control of information, the all-seeing eye of Stanley Kubrick's HAL-9000 and a bespectacled, reformed industralist (like the hero, obviously, also legally dead) who is drip-fed these social security numbers and creates a collage of these people on his office wall, where they form a sort of pre-determined dead pool.

Once you accept and learn to live with the idea that the basic premise is ludicrous, you're thrown into a detective story about writing wrongs which haven't yet occurred. Imagine a hybrid between Scott Bakula in 'Quantum Leap' and Lorenzo Lamas in 'Renegade' and you will have a grasp on how humourless, contrived and unoriginal these escapades are.

I will give 'Person of Interest' about two more weeks to, well, pique my interest.

"Minority Report - The Series"?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

28Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:02

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Keegan wrote:
"Minority Report - The Series"?

I'm afraid I still haven't seen 'Minority Report', it's on the mental list of films I keep in my head.

29Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:06

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Sometimes I just want to watch something that's easy on the eye, has a simple plot, and lots of action and beating up of bad guys.

And sometimes -I- just want to watch something that isn't a rip-off of ten ten other things I've already seen before. Buy a Knight Rider box set on eBay and watch the original version, it had humour and characters you could relate to.

30Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:13

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

And sometimes -I- just want to watch something that isn't a rip-off of ten ten other things I've already seen before. Buy a Knight Rider box set on eBay and watch the original version, it had humour and characters you could relate to.

Why do I have to relate to characters to enjoy something?

Virtually every show is a rip-off of a previous show.

31Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:20

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Why do I have to relate to characters to enjoy something?

Virtually every show is a rip-off of a previous show.

YOU don't have to. I was talking about my opinion of it, in response to you trashing my thoughts about it. My opinion is just as valid as yours, gorge yourself on formulaic crap TV, be my guest.

32Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:22

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I love Minority Report by the way, extremely underrated film.

33Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

YOU don't have to. I was talking about my opinion of it, in response to you trashing my thoughts about it. My opinion is just as valid as yours, gorge yourself on formulaic crap TV, be my guest.

I wasn't trashing your thoughts, jusy trashing your obsession with slagging everything off because it's not as good as a silent film from 1918.

34Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:26

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I wasn't trashing your thoughts, jusy trashing your obsession with slagging everything off because it's not as good as a silent film from 1918.

Yes, of course, I see, I should stop comparing everything to silent films from 1918, silly me. I do that ALL the time and it's a terrible thing to do.

35Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:29

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Yes, of course, I see, I should stop comparing everything to silent films from 1918, silly me. I do that ALL the time and it's a terrible thing to do.

I still love you though.

36Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:33

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I love Minority Report by the way, extremely underrated film.

The premise sounds very similar, doesn't it?

37Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:36

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I still love you though.

You're just upset with me for writing a review which had references to films you've never seen.

Next time I review something, I will try to draw parallels which you are likely to understand.

"The main guy looked a bit like Egon Spengler".

"He had a big gun, like Arnie in Terminator 2 when he cripples those pigs"

"It was like finding your exotic pet is actually a mogwai by getting it piss wet through"

"When I saw that ladder I thought of Richard Gere soiling his trousers at the end of Pretty Woman".

"The lead character was like Superman, only he wore his underpants inside his trousers".

I don't want to alienate you from my teachings.

38Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:38

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

largehat wrote:"The lead character was like Superman, only he wore his underpants inside his trousers".

lol!

39Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That would be good of you actually, although I've never seen Pretty Woman.

40Person Of Interest - Page 2 Empty Re: Person Of Interest Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:39

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:That would be good of you actually, although I've never seen Pretty Woman.
Look in the mirror. What a Face

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum