Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Barnsley 2-2 Bolton

+16
BoltonTillIDie
doffcocker
Sluffy
Jack Russell
wessy
DEANO82
rammywhite
okocha
Cajunboy
boltonbonce
observer
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
karlypants
wanderlust
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

41Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 18:12

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Wasn't really a mistake putting on an extra defender, he had already taken two defenders off to bring on Buckley and Noone. So going into the last 5 minutes when Barnsley went more direct we needed more defensive minded players.

It's not Parkys fault that we conceded a goal from a corner.

42Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 18:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

DEANO82 wrote:It's not Parkys fault that we conceded a goal from a corner.

It was a negative move which brought more pressure on us. Better to keep Morais on the pitch and hope he can take it into the corner.

Dervite is not the player I'd want coming on in the 92nd minute when he has to be 100% from the first second.

43Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 19:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

It was a negative move which brought more pressure on us. Better to keep Morais on the pitch and hope he can take it into the corner.

Dervite is not the player I'd want coming on in the 92nd minute when he has to be 100% from the first second.
Totally agree. Immediately prior to the substitution we were all over them and the momentum was with us. Having replaced two defenders with two more attack minded players it showed that attack is by far and away our best defence against a nervous team like Barnsley.
In bringing Dervite on, we handed back the initiative, the momentum and the psychological advantage.
Why Parky felt he had to change a winning formula when we were so close to the victory we needed is almost beyond belief and could cost us dearly.

44Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 19:27

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

To sum up, Disappointed,then Happy, then Ecstatic, then Gutted

45Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 20:19

Jack Russell

Jack Russell
David Lee
David Lee

I honestly thought we were stuffed today, an unexpected comeback, disappointed not to take the three points but at least Barnsley were denied two points, hope that Forest beat them or at least a draw, it’s not over yet

46Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 20:58

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We are hanging by a thread. Still hopeful we can stay up.

And it’s not over till the fat lady (Natasha) sings.

47Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 21:29

Natasha Whittam wrote:

It was the right and obvious move to make. Barnsley were bound to start throwing everything at us - as we had at us. So having sacrificed more defensive players we needed to be solid.

Shame none of the center backs managed to block off Mcburnie.

48Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 21:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:It was the right and obvious move

It was clearly the wrong move. When you're on the front foot you should stay there.

49Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 22:12

Course you should, but football is not as simple as that. We had nothing to lose when we went on the front foot, Barnsley had it all to lose. 

And vice versa after we took the lead, psychologically these things have a massive affect on the players and game. A team need to be able to see games out and should be able to shut up shop and defend a lead for 10 minutes, simple as that.

50Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sat Apr 14 2018, 23:11

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:Course you should, but football is not as simple as that. We had nothing to lose when we went on the front foot, Barnsley had it all to lose. 

And vice versa after we took the lead, psychologically these things have a massive affect on the players and game. A team need to be able to see games out and should be able to shut up shop and defend a lead for 10 minutes, simple as that.

Agree with this.

Barnsley's season basically hung on a thread when we went 2-1 up, so they had nothing to lose by throwing the kitchen sink at us for the last remaining minutes of the game.

All managers do a 'tactical' substitution when winning with seconds to go - just to run down the clock some.

Personally I don't believe in tinkering about with the defence with just a few minutes to go, so if I was the manager I would have brought someone like Morais off (not seeing the match it's hard for me to say for definite but I might even have taken one of our other subs off - Buckley or Noone - because I think Morais is a smart player and has already played in a defensive role for us this season) and brought someone on Dervite is as good as anyone - but simply tell him to play in the position of the player I took off for him - ie on the wing or somewhere like that - and pick up the runners in a similar manner as the player I had just hooked off would. Meaning no messing about or repositioning for the defenders - and everybody still knowing their own defensive duties.

Good teams rarely let the opposition score from dead-ball positions - but sadly we aren't that good a team.

Shit happens and it did today.

Chins up though, although technically we are no longer in control of our own destiny, we are still points in hand over Barnsley and they HAVE to win that game in hand to overtake us.

I always prefer having the points in the bag than games in hand, so we are certainly not down yet.

Wolves will want to celebrate winning the Championship against local rivals Birmingham, so it really wouldn't surprise me if they are below us on goal difference this time tomorrow.

As for us, anything from Wolves would be a bonus and we should be able to get points off both Burton and Forest.

We can certainly still stay up just a shame we conceded that last minute equaliser.

Onwards and upwards.

51Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 10:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:All managers do a 'tactical' substitution when winning with seconds to go - just to run down the clock some.

They don't.

Some managers can see that bringing on a defender with only seconds to go can disrupt the concentration of the team.

52Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 11:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
Personally I don't believe in tinkering about with the defence with just a few minutes to go, so if I was the manager I would have brought someone like Morais off (not seeing the match it's hard for me to say for definite but I might even have taken one of our other subs off - Buckley or Noone - because I think Morais is a smart player and has already played in a defensive role for us this season) and brought someone on Dervite is as good as anyone - but simply tell him to play in the position of the player I took off for him - ie on the wing or somewhere like that - and pick up the runners in a similar manner as the player I had just hooked off would.  Meaning no messing about or repositioning for the defenders - and everybody still knowing their own defensive duties.

As someone who did watch the match just thought I'd let you know that Parky did bring Morais off for Dervite at a time when Morais had everything under control and moreover was pressurising their left flank. 
All that codswallop about Barnsley throwing everything at us is pure nonsense as we had them pinned back and more concerned about not conceding a third  which we might well have got - rather than trying to find an equaliser.
Difficult to equalise when you're stuck in your own box.

Fact of the matter is we had them pinned back with zero chance of equalising and everyone knowing their jobs when Parky made a knee jerk substitution to cost us the game and possibly our Championship status.

In mitigation I would say that for the first time this season, Parky did show a bit of bottle when we were behind by changing it round earlier than usual and committing to an attacking approach - well done for that.

Shame he couldn't stop himself from spoiling it though.

53Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:15

Could you start posting links to games when they’re available to watch please Lust?

54Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
Personally I don't believe in tinkering about with the defence with just a few minutes to go, so if I was the manager I would have brought someone like Morais off (not seeing the match it's hard for me to say for definite but I might even have taken one of our other subs off - Buckley or Noone - because I think Morais is a smart player and has already played in a defensive role for us this season) and brought someone on Dervite is as good as anyone - but simply tell him to play in the position of the player I took off for him - ie on the wing or somewhere like that - and pick up the runners in a similar manner as the player I had just hooked off would.  Meaning no messing about or repositioning for the defenders - and everybody still knowing their own defensive duties.

As someone who did watch the match just thought I'd let you know that Parky did bring Morais off for Dervite at a time when Morais had everything under control and moreover was pressurising their left flank. 
All that codswallop about Barnsley throwing everything at us is pure nonsense as we had them pinned back and more concerned about not conceding a third  which we might well have got - rather than trying to find an equaliser.

Fact of the matter is we had them pinned back with zero chance of equalising and everyone knowing their jobs when Parky made a knee jerk substitution to cost us the game and possibly our Championship status.

In mitigation I would say that for the first time this season, Parky did show a bit of bottle when we were behind by changing it round earlier than usual and committing to an attacking approach - well done for that.

As someone who did watch the match, what were you doing on Chatbox typing out your made up stories of the club and calling me 'a wanker' when I pointed out that they could not possibly have happened due to the court processes required at that time?

As for Barnsley being more concerned more about not letting in another goal rather going all out for the equaliser in the last minute of the match (Morais subbed 90+2 minutes, their goal 90+3 minutes) is absolutely laughable.

Do you not even think before you post at times?

55Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 12:55

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I was at the game, Dervite came on when we were defending a free kick. We then conceded a corner and then conceded a goal. If only we had Morais running down the wing. 

Still think Pratley could have done better defending the corner.

56Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 14:08

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

DEANO82 wrote:I was at the game, Dervite came on when we were defending a free kick. We then conceded a corner and then conceded a goal. If only we had Morais running down the wing. 

Water under the bridge now... but we better learn to defend the set pieces or we will go down.  How can we leave someone unmarked?  Did the entry of Dervite confuse the players on the pitch?  Or are we just horrible at defending.  Fortunately, it's been some time that we let in last minute or extra time goals.  We have to stop that quickly as well.

57Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 14:40

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

After seeing the Birmingham and Millwall matches, most of us would have been euphoric getting a draw at 1-0. The only shocking thing about this match really is that we've scored a goal, let alone two.

At this stage of the season, it's basically just a case of accepting that we probably are one of the three worst teams in the division, but with a bit of luck we might just make it.

Yes it's sickening to throw it away again late on, but surely nobody is surprised. Parky's style and substitutions are questionable to say the least but then, does anybody honestly imagine the club being in a much better position had he never been appointed? Obviously we'll never know but if we do stay up, a lot of the bitching will suddenly die down, at least until next season.

58Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 15:00

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

DEANO82 wrote:I was at the game, Dervite came on when we were defending a free kick. We then conceded a corner and then conceded a goal. If only we had Morais running down the wing. 

.....But what if we'd had Madine back in the box, defending crosses as well as he usually did......one of his less appreciated values quite apart from his goals and hold-up play

59Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 15:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

As someone who did watch the match, what were you doing on Chatbox 
Multitasking. It was live on Facebook thanks to some bloke abroad.

60Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Sun Apr 15 2018, 15:19

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fortunately, Wolves did the decent thing and dispatched Birmingham which puts them in Barnsley's sights albeit by a single goal GD.

If we don't beat Wolves, they will be crowned champions at the Macron.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum