Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 1-0 Birmingham

+19
King Bill
Keegan
Nigelbwfc
observer
MartinBWFC
okocha
gloswhite
rammywhite
Norpig
luckyPeterpiper
boltonbonce
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
DEANO82
Boggersbelief
BoltonTillIDie
Cajunboy
wessy
wanderlust
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

91Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 8:33

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Couldn't get to the match as there were no trains and would have been home even later than Boncey if i had gone, so watched on the red button on sky. They had one camera covering the game and no replays but at least i got to see the game.

92Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 9:20

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Bolton Wanderers 1 v 0 Birmingham City

Bolton Wanderers won 1-0 against Birmingham City in the Sky Bet Championship to remain unbeaten in the league, after Josh Magennis’s goal in the second half secured all three points for Phil Parkinson’s side.

PRE-MATCH

Phil Parkinson made three changes to the side that beat Reading 1-0 at the Madejski Stadium, with Luke Murphy, Josh Vela and Will Buckley being replaced by Gary O’Neil, Erhun Oztumer and Yanic Wildschut.

Bolton came into the game unbeaten in the Sky Bet Championship for the 2018/19 campaign, having won two games on the road and drawing at home to Bristol City.

FIRST HALF

Omar Bogle had the first real chance of the game on 13 minutes, but skipper David Wheater put his body on the line to block any danger.

Soon after, a deflected shot from Blues playmaker Jota saw Ben Alnwick produce a magnificent diving save to keep the scores level.

A Josh Magennis flick-on saw Yanic Wildschut put through for Wanderers first chance of the game on 25minutes, but Birmingham managed to get bodies back and clear the threat.

Jota popped up again with five minutes to go in the first half, after a quiet spell in the game.

The Spaniard ran the length of Wanderers half, beating his man but Alnwick was equal to his tame effort.

SECOND HALF

Birmingham started the second half bright, with Jota looping a ball over the Bolton defence, but Omar Bogle’s resultant shot only found the frame of Bolton’s Alnwick.

Then, it was Bolton’s turn to come close, as an Erhun Oztumer corner kick could not be cleared by the Birmingham backline, as it fell to Jason Lowe.

The tough tackling midfielder struck a powerful effort goalwards but Lee Camp parried the ball to safety.

On 65 minutes, a deflected Gary O’Neil pass found its way to Birmingham’s Maxime Colin, who delivered the ball into the area, where Bogle’s header flew high and wide.

Second half substitute Sammy Ameobi came into the action with 20 minutes to go, with another Magennis knock down finding the Nigerian but his effort flew over the bar by a whisker.

Sammy was at it again shortly after, with a pinpoint cross field ball find its way to Taylor on the left flank.

Taylor fired the ball across the length of the area back to Ameobi, whose floated cross found Josh Magennis to nod Wanderers into the lead!

Will Buckley nearly had a second for the Whites within minutes, with a flash effort from the edge of the area creeping just over Camp’s crossbar.

Ameobi fired another dangerous freekick into the Birmingham penalty area, which was nearly turned home by a Blues player if not for a reflex save by Lee Camp.

The rebound fell to Whites midfielder Jason Lowe, who sliced his effort wide.

Kristian Pedersen went inches away for Birmingham in the final minutes of the game, with a speculative long-range effort forcing Alnwick to make a tremendous diving save low to his right

Birmingham threw all men including their goalkeeper forward for a last-ditch attempt at salvaging a point for Wanderers, but it wasn’t to be as Phil Parkinson’s men secured the three points.

Wanderers XI: Alnwick, Taylor, Lowe, Beevers, Oztumer (Donaldson 83), Noone (Ameobi 61), Olkowski, O’Neil, Magennis, Wildschut (Buckley 61), Wheater (C)

Unused substitutes: Matthews, Little, Vela, Wilson

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

93Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 9:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We did ok last night. Credit to Parky for trying something different, the line-up was definitely more attacking than usual. I guess when you have points in the bag you can afford to take more risks.

We tried to play football in patches, but clearly don't have many players comfortable with the ball at their feet. Beevers seems to have one setting, lump it to Madine. If we can get Madine to sit in the back of the Sheffield Utd net on Saturday we'll win 10-0.

Defensively we were excellent, the Polish right back looks an absolute steal. But Wheater, Beevers & Taylor all played their part.

Ameobi made the difference when he came on, even Buckley looked a different player.

We would definitely have lost this game last season, and that's called progress. You can't ask for much more.

94Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 9:53

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Beevers and Taylor massive weak links and will cost us dear. I think replace them two and bringing in an ambitious goalscorer is the difference between mid table and play offs. 

We should go for it

95Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 10:01

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Beevers and Taylor massive weak links and will cost us dear. I think replace them two and bringing in an ambitious goalscorer is the difference between mid table and play offs. 

We should go for it

They weren't weak links last night in terms of defending.

96Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 10:02

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:Beevers and Taylor massive weak links and will cost us dear. I think replace them two and bringing in an ambitious goalscorer is the difference between mid table and play offs. 

We should go for it

They weren't weak links last night in terms of defending.

Nope. But they needlessly give away the ball by hoofing it nowhere. They invite pressure and against better sides we will be punished

97Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 10:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree with you on the whole, but Parky seems to love Beevers. Taylor is the best we have by all accounts - Birmingham fans seem to think Grounds is useless.

98Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 10:09

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:We did ok last night. Credit to Parky for trying something different, the line-up was definitely more attacking than usual. I guess when you have points in the bag you can afford to take more risks.

We tried to play football in patches, but clearly don't have many players comfortable with the ball at their feet. Beevers seems to have one setting, lump it to Madine. If we can get Madine to sit in the back of the Sheffield Utd net on Saturday we'll win 10-0.

Defensively we were excellent, the Polish right back looks an absolute steal. But Wheater, Beevers & Taylor all played their part.

Ameobi made the difference when he came on, even Buckley looked a different player.

We would definitely have lost this game last season, and that's called progress. You can't ask for much more.
Saw Madine was at the game last night. Don't think Beevers was trying to pick him out though.

99Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 10:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:We did ok last night. Credit to Parky for trying something different, the line-up was definitely more attacking than usual. I guess when you have points in the bag you can afford to take more risks.

It's "we" now is it? Makes a change from "if I were a Bolton fan I'd be furious" etc. That said I agree with the above and reckon that it underlines the need to bring in a few more players if possible as despite Oztumer's inclusion we created nothing to speak of going forward in the first half and the finishing was poor when we did get a few chances in the second. But our defensive foundation has been good apart from the Bristol game and it is so pleasing that we are not likely to ship goals for fun as we did last season. And somehow we've got to 10 points already - it took us until November to get that many last year. Strangely, BET 365 have tightened the odds on us going down from 4 to 1 to 7 to 2 after last night's result.

100Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 10:15

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat’s a plastic fan Wander.

She goes with whoever wins on the day between Chorley and Bolton!

101Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 11:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
Blimey! She must be knackered.

102Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 11:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Nat’s a plastic fan Wander.

No plastic here, except in my bra.

I watch both teams in the flesh. The trouble comes when they both play at home on the same day.

103Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 11:44

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I watch both teams in the flesh. 
Me too. That's part of the joy of being in the privacy of my armchair.

104Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 11:52

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

I watch both teams in the flesh. 
Me too. That's part of the joy of being in the privacy of my armchair.

I wouldn’t like to go over it with a uv lamp. Shocked

105Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 12:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:I wouldn’t like to go over it with a uv lamp. Shocked

Only you would have that as a first thought on this subject.

106Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 12:44

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:I wouldn’t like to go over it with a uv lamp. Shocked

Only you would have that as a first thought on this subject.

Laughing

107Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 12:51

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Another great result. The whole team, although lacking in any real quality as yet, fought for everything and showed a determination that I've not seen for many a season. There are glimpses of a potentially half decent team going forward. Early days still but the signs are good.

108Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 12:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Can't seem to find Martin's obligatory 'Parkinson out' comments on this thread, can someone point me in there direction please.

Thank you.

109Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 12:54

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Can't seem to find Martin's obligatory 'Parkinson out' comments on this thread, can someone point me in there direction please.

Thank you.

Parkinson has become Martin's newest idol due to the fantastic run of form so far.

He even has had a poster printer to put above his bed that he worships!

110Bolton 1-0 Birmingham - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Birmingham Thu 23 Aug - 12:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Parkinson has become Martin's newest idol due to the fantastic run of form so far.

He even has had a poster printer to put above his bed that he worships!

You seem very familiar with Martin's bedroom.

No one will be surprised.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum