Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brexit negotiations

+16
gloswhite
Sluffy
finlaymcdanger
Buellix
Hipster_Nebula
bryan458
wessy
luckyPeterpiper
rammywhite
Natasha Whittam
Dunkels King
okocha
bwfc71
Cajunboy
boltonbonce
wanderlust
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 33  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 33]

201Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 22 2019, 14:07

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

karlypants wrote:
xmiles wrote:Nevermind the brexiteers will soon bring an end to that despite the revoke Article 50 petition already having over 3 million signatures. It would be a threat to democracy to actually listen to what people want now.

Over 3 million?

Let me know when it reaches 17.4! :rofl:

Even if it did May, like you, wouldn't listen. Rolling Eyes

202Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 22 2019, 14:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

May is there to lead, not be swayed by public opinion.

203Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 22 2019, 14:49

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:May is there to lead, not be swayed by public opinion.
Question is therefore why does she justify her every action by claiming that "it's what the public wants" (when in reality she is referring to what the public wanted on one day in 2016)?

Her "leadership" is even being questioned by her own party amongst others and I think she has failed miserably in taking people along with her as all good leaders should.

I would feel sorry for her because she has few friends left in Parliament on on the streets, but I don't because she has insisted on railroading through an agenda that only benefits the foreign-based architects of Brexit who will make money on the markets and the more Britain suffers economically, the more they will make and sit back in their foreign homes laughing at the mugs who voted for it all the way to the bank. Murdoch will probably make even more money selling papers that whinge about it. TBF some of the architects of Brexit were British-based but they're leaving in their droves now that it becoming a reality. 

She is a pawn in somebody else's game, not a leader.

204Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 22 2019, 15:18

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

But she is not leading even her own party.

She can't persuade the DUP or the ERG to support her deal. Some leadership!

205Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 22 2019, 15:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I did enjoy the "rap" video BTW. 
She might be a crap leader but she has finally found some shapes, even if it required grafting her head on to a different body to do it.

206Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 22 2019, 20:24

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:Nevermind the brexiteers will soon bring an end to that despite the revoke Article 50 petition already having over 3 million signatures. It would be a threat to democracy to actually listen to what people want now.
She has already said that this petition will not be discussed. i think it was just over 2 million at the time.

207Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 22 2019, 22:24

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:
She has already said that this petition will not be discussed. i think it was just over 2 million at the time.

It has well over 3.5 million signatures now. But it doesn't matter how many signatures it gets May won't listen. She is incapable of listening to anybody who doesn't agree with her. That is why we are in the mess we are in now. If she was prepared to compromise she could have delivered brexit.

208Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 22 2019, 23:35

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

There's a lot of truth in that

209Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 09:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:It has well over 3.5 million signatures now. But it doesn't matter how many signatures it gets May won't listen. She is incapable of listening to anybody who doesn't agree with her. That is why we are in the mess we are in now. If she was prepared to compromise she could have delivered brexit.

16 million people voted to remain, but only 4 million signatures on this petition.

So I'm not sure why you think 4 million signatures is significant. What happened to the other 12 million?

210Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 10:08

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:
xmiles wrote:It has well over 3.5 million signatures now. But it doesn't matter how many signatures it gets May won't listen. She is incapable of listening to anybody who doesn't agree with her. That is why we are in the mess we are in now. If she was prepared to compromise she could have delivered brexit.

16 million people voted to remain, but only 4 million signatures on this petition.

So I'm not sure why you think 4 million signatures is significant. What happened to the other 12 million?

How many of the people who voted for brexit have changed their mind now that it is clear how bad it will be for most of them? Maybe some of them have even discovered that the EU didn't ban bendy bananas and that this was just another one of Boris' lies.

211Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 10:23

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Bit dim comparing an online petition with a referendum.

212Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 12:31

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How many people who voted for Scotland to remain in the UK have changed their mind.

It's a bit strange the Democrats supporting a people's vote won't give us another say isn't it.

213Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 12:34

Can’t disagree with that. General election and a less damaging Brexit would be my choice.

Tories would happily sacrifice the country to stay in power though so we’ll probably end up with no deal.

214Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 13:42

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

TROY why do you want brexit, albeit a less damaging one than May's?

215Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 13:47

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Because he can't bring himself to question the dear leader? 

I thought farage was right this week when he said let parliament decide between no deal and remain and be done with it.

If any party wishes to run on leaving again so be it.

216Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 14:44

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I heard a political commentator on TV last night call Mrs. May a "tyrant".  

Maybe that's a bit strong but she is certainly an egotist, a control freak, a sly manipulator who is economical with the truth, unfeeling, pig-headed, and an extraordinarily bad judge.

The country can't afford to retain her as its leader any longer. Her negotiating skills are non-existent. Who would back her or her team to negotiate new trade deals successfully with the rest of the world?

Not only does she not listen, she doesn't even pretend to....certainly not since 2016 when the essential requisite was to involve parliament in a consensus that would surely by now have passed muster with the country and with the EU. It's always been "me, me, me", no matter what expert advice has been available to her which would enable us to find as much equanimity as possible in this crazy proposal that threatens ruin. 

Did Ireland feature at all in the 2016 referendum debate? No, yet it is now the biggest sticking-point. Shocking dereliction of duty to fail to point out the pitfalls to the electorate and instead promote lies and false claims.

Our financial contribution to the EU is just 1% of the government's annual spending power and for that we get many, many benefits which we now stand to throw away recklessly. The country's welfare is far more important than the future success of each individual political party. Finding a way to unite the country rather than divide it was always the missing essential. May and many other politicians  have failed to recognise this basic truth.

217Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 15:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I thought farage was right this week when he said let parliament decide between no deal and remain and be done with it.
Obviously parliament can't take the decision to remain so Herr Farage is just trying to be a smartarse.
However with May floundering around for new ideas, a referendum where the choices are remain or leave without a deal could be an option.

218Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 15:18

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Actually lusty Parliament CAN make that decision. It was announced ages ago that Article Fifty can be cancelled at any time provided we haven't already left the EU. However it would be political suicide for those MPs who represent "Leave" areas to vote in favour of remain now.

As to a referendum I suspect it's simply too late to organise one. Since the due exit date is 29th March and even the longest available extension only goes to May 22nd it doesn't seem feasible to hold a full referendum campaign.

While I personally believe Brexit will be a disaster for the country this tortuous twisting and turning in a desperate bid to find some kind of "deal" is far more damaging to the nation in the short term imo. Personally I believe our PM should simply bite the bullet and do what the voters told her to which is exit the EU now without all this faffing about.

219Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 15:20

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

okocha wrote:I heard a political commentator on TV last night call Mrs. May a "tyrant".  

Maybe that's a bit strong but she is certainly an egotist, a control freak, a sly manipulator who is economical with the truth, unfeeling, pig-headed, and an extraordinarily bad judge.

The country can't afford to retain her as its leader any longer. Her negotiating skills are non-existent. Who would back her or her team to negotiate new trade deals successfully with the rest of the world?

Not only does she not listen, she doesn't even pretend to....certainly not since 2016 when the essential requisite was to involve parliament in a consensus that would surely by now have passed muster with the country and with the EU. It's always been "me, me, me", no matter what expert advice has been available to her which would enable us to find as much equanimity as possible in this crazy proposal that threatens ruin. 

Did Ireland feature at all in the 2016 referendum debate? No, yet it is now the biggest sticking-point. Shocking dereliction of duty to fail to point out the pitfalls to the electorate and instead promote lies and false claims.

Our financial contribution to the EU is just 1% of the government's annual spending power and for that we get many, many benefits which we now stand to throw away recklessly. The country's welfare is far more important than the future success of each individual political party. Finding a way to unite the country rather than divide it was always the missing essential. May and many other politicians  have failed to recognise this basic truth.

:agree:

May was pretty useless at the Home Office too. She was responsible for massive cuts in police numbers and responsible for the offensive hostile environment campaign which needless to say didn't work and some of its measures have been thrown out by the courts.

220Brexit negotiations - Page 11 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 23 2019, 15:25

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Actually lusty Parliament CAN make that decision. It was announced ages ago that Article Fifty can be cancelled at any time provided we haven't already left the EU. However it would be political suicide for those MPs who represent "Leave" areas to vote in favour of remain now.

As to a referendum I suspect it's simply too late to organise one. Since the due exit date is 29th March and even the longest available extension only goes to May 22nd it doesn't seem feasible to hold a full referendum campaign.

While I personally believe Brexit will be a disaster for the country this tortuous twisting and turning in a desperate bid to find some kind of "deal" is far more damaging to the nation in the short term imo. Personally I believe our PM should simply bite the bullet and do what the voters told her to which is exit the EU now without all this faffing about.

The trouble is that the nature of the brexit was never specified in the referendum. I am pretty certain that a significant number of those who voted leave didn't vote for a no deal brexit and some of them have changed their minds (now that they know what brexit entails) and no longer want brexit.

All of which, plus all the evidence that the majority of voters do not want to leave, is why I hope we don't leave.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 33]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum