Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Coronavirus - the political argument

Coronavirus - the political argument

+13
observer
Sluffy
gloswhite
Ten Bobsworth
BoltonTillIDie
okocha
wessy
Cajunboy
xmiles
karlypants
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 31]

1Coronavirus - the political argument Empty Coronavirus - the political argument Sun Apr 05 2020, 17:48

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Feel free to argue to your hearts content on this thread about how good, bad or indifferently the governments been dealing with this and how good, bad or indifferently you, or the political party you support, thinks they are/believe they should have been doing.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't worry, Rudolf the tall white alien is back, and he brings hope. Shocked

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When will I learn not to click on a Bonce video??

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I lasted 2 minutes then turned off, he's barking mad  Laughing

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I lasted 2 minutes then turned off, he's barking mad  Laughing
You missed the bit where he warns us about demons. Very important.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:When will I learn not to click on a Bonce video??
You'll get there Nat.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm currently adding up the days you have stolen from me.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I’m surprised the video wasn’t about slippers. Laughing

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'm currently adding up the days you have stolen from me.
Are you adding them up so you can spend them with me after lockdown?  Twisted Evil

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:Feel free to argue to your hearts content on this thread about how good, bad or indifferently the governments been dealing with this and how good, bad or indifferently you, or the political party you support, thinks they are/believe they should have been doing.

Oh the irony! You open up a thread specifically to handle the political aspects of the current crisis and none of the comments is about politics.

If nothing changes I will try to think of something tomorrow. Smile

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Feel free to argue to your hearts content on this thread about how good, bad or indifferently the governments been dealing with this and how good, bad or indifferently you, or the political party you support, thinks they are/believe they should have been doing.

Oh the irony! You open up a thread specifically to handle the political aspects of the current crisis and none of the comments is about politics.

If nothing changes I will try to think of something tomorrow. Smile  
Laughing

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Left-wing online trolls target stricken Boris Johnson saying they 'hope he dies' and 'f*** Boris' while Labour mayor says he 'completely deserves' his intensive care coronavirus battle

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8195339/Left-wing-online-trolls-target-stricken-Boris-Johnson-saying-hope-dies.html

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Party politics need to take a bask seat at the moment so everyone can focus on getting through this. 

We've never seen anything like this before so whoever is in charge regardless of party has a massive job on their hands at the moment and needs help from all sides. 

I'm not a fan of BoJo but to wish him dead is completely unacceptable.

Guest


Guest

karlypants wrote:Left-wing online trolls target stricken Boris Johnson saying they 'hope he dies' and 'f*** Boris' while Labour mayor says he 'completely deserves' his intensive care coronavirus battle
Unfortunately it’s not in the least surprising this.

The mans a father (soon to be again), it shouldn’t need pointing out what’s important at a time like this.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Party politics need to take a bask seat at the moment so everyone can focus on getting through this. 

We've never seen anything like this before so whoever is in charge regardless of party has a massive job on their hands at the moment and needs help from all sides. 

I'm not a fan of BoJo but to wish him dead is completely unacceptable.

Absolutely.

It's never been the time for political point scoring and the time to hold an inquest of how the crisis had been handled should be done AFTER this thing as been beaten not during it.

I mean what's the point now really, it's not like we turn the clock back and do things perfect right from the start is it?  We can't change how we've got to the point where we are now - we simply have to make the best of it from now on.

I believe now Labour has finally sorted its leadership out, that we should form an all party government to move forward together.

Pointless people saying the NHS has been forgotten about since Labour was last in power - it's hardly been the major political issue they've fought all the general elections since and it's certainly not been the top issue of the public during all that time either.

As for being underprepared - yes we were and so to every other country in the world too.

As for how we handled it seems China wasn't exactly honest in reporting it from the start - see article -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-52194356

...and that as a consequence we followed the wrong strategy to deal with it based on the Chinese figures we used to model what would happen here.

I don't think anyone is claiming everything the government has done has been perfect but saying they've deliberately put lives at risk and allowed people to die needlessly is plainly stupid and inflammatory.

There's a time and place for everything and fighting the virus comes first and holding to account comes after - or should do.

As for the social media nutjobs including a mayor ffs, they are an utter disgrace.

No one should wish his fellow man ill/dead simply because he doesn't have the same politics/religion/view as you do.

Sign of the times we live in though.

Get well soon Boris and so to everybody else in the same boat.

And continuing thanks to all those on the front line and those supporting them, helping us to get through all this.

Guest


Guest

Very important to be able to spot the difference between ‘point scoring’ and proper scrutiny. I applaud those in the media who have continued to scrutinise the gaps in government policy (slow response, lack of tests, lack of PPE and herd immunity strategy). Keeping the focus on the right areas will hone our response and make sure we’re travelling in the right direction - it’s arguably never been more important.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Get well soon Boris and everybody else who are suffering in many different ways as we fight this deadly virus.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Norpig wrote:Party politics need to take a bask seat at the moment so everyone can focus on getting through this. 

We've never seen anything like this before so whoever is in charge regardless of party has a massive job on their hands at the moment and needs help from all sides. 

I'm not a fan of BoJo but to wish him dead is completely unacceptable.
Totally agree.

I'm not a fan of Jeremy Corbyn but I wouldn't wish him any harm.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Very important to be able to spot the difference between ‘point scoring’ and proper scrutiny. I applaud those in the media who have continued to scrutinise the gaps in government policy (slow response, lack of tests, lack of PPE and herd immunity strategy). Keeping the focus on the right areas will hone our response and make sure we’re travelling in the right direction - it’s arguably never been more important.

Do you honestly believe that the government wouldn't have change how it responded without the media asking the question?

Or ramped up the testing and trying to get sufficient PPE for front line staff - they still are falling short even though the media have been on their backs for the last fortnight?

Or change the strategy from 'herd' to 'containment'?

That's just utter bollocks.

All that would have been forced to have happened even if the media had been in lockdown as per China's media.

Nobody's saying the government had got it right at every turn - or even now - but the time for laying any blame is AFTER the war on the virus has been done - not now.

As I say I believe there should be an all party lead on this - lets fight this thing together.  There's simply no point bitching over spilt milk - it won't change anything.

As for the journalists - most of them have a job to file stories for their employers, most of whom depend on advertisements for their income.  It's in their own interests to keep such stories alive - but as I say do you or anyone else really believe it's been a political decision to deliberately deprive staff of protective clothing or condemn people to death because of some sort of Conservative agenda to win the General Election in 2024 - that's just madness thinking.

Report the facts by all means but now isn't the time for any media campaigns and political game playing.

There's time enough for that after the virus is beaten.

I also don't think it was any coincidence that Johnson had invited all Party leaders to join together on the day the Labour finally got shut of Corbyn and move forward together -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8187081/Boris-Johnson-writes-leaders-opposition-parties-invite-Number-10.html

We should ALL be pulling in the same direction to beat this now and argue over it afterwards.

Or should be.

Guest


Guest

I believe that the media influence government policy, and both the research and investigations of correspondents helps to fill gaps in the government’s own knowledge banks given how quickly this crisis is moving.

So my opinion is that scrutinising the government properly has helped to speed up issue recognition and resolution. It’s nothing do with blame or otherwise, it’s influencing to try and keep on the right path.

I’ve never suggested anything of the sort that governments are deliberately holding back PPE? Why are you taking about that?

Sponsored content



Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 31]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum