Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Enough To Make You Weep

+9
xmiles
Sgt. Bash
rammywhite
wanderlust
Lyric Todkill
Michael Bolton
Bernard Dennis Park
summercummings
Natasha Whittam
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Enough To Make You Weep Empty Enough To Make You Weep Sat Nov 17 2012, 22:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Exactly 10 years ago today, on 17th November 2002, we went to Leeds United in the Premiership and won 4-2.

Just look at the Bolton team from that day:

Jaaskelainen,
N'Gotty (Tofting 59)
Campo
Barness
Mendy
Okocha
Frandsen
Nolan (Ricketts 77)
Charlton
Djorkaeff
Pedersen

I'm not saying that team were world-beaters but it does show how far we have fallen in 10 years. That team wasn't exactly full of pace or talented youngsters but look at the class on show...Youri, Okocha, Frandsen, Campo etc.

And when the scores were locked at 2-2 Sam Allardyce was able to bring on goal-machine Michael Ricketts who put Bolton in front with his first touch. Pedersen then sealed it in the last minute. What options does Freedman have when the game is deadlocked?

I was excited by football in those days, 10 years on and look what's happened to our team. No flare, no talent, and no excitement. Will we ever see the good times again?

2Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sat Nov 17 2012, 22:55

summercummings

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

I know where you're coming from Natasha, but even in those days we still weren't happy - I remember the boos going round Elland Road when Pedersen was named in the starting 11!

3Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sat Nov 17 2012, 22:58

We were shaky at the back in those days, just as we are now. But back then we had players who could change a game with a great goal or defence-splitting pass. Somewhere along the line we stopped buying players who could pass a football, maybe it's a sign of the times.

4Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sat Nov 17 2012, 23:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Passi wrote:We were shaky at the back in those days, just as we are now. But back then we had players who could change a game with a great goal or defence-splitting pass. Somewhere along the line we stopped buying players who could pass a football, maybe it's a sign of the times.

And yet back then we were known as a longball team...not sure what we are now.

5Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sat Nov 17 2012, 23:29

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I got threw out of that game. Great times.

6Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 08:55

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Jesus, check out that midfield - frandsen, campo, okocha, Nolan - probably four of my top ten bolton players of all time. That is the big difference to now - eagles, mark Davies, spearing, pratley, Keith Andrews. Jesus, how depressing!

7Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 09:08

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:Exactly 10 years ago today, on 17th November 2002, we went to Leeds United in the Premiership and won 4-2.

Just look at the Bolton team from that day:

Jaaskelainen,
N'Gotty (Tofting 59)
Campo
Barness
Mendy
Okocha
Frandsen
Nolan (Ricketts 77)
Charlton
Djorkaeff
Pedersen

I'm not saying that team were world-beaters but it does show how far we have fallen in 10 years. That team wasn't exactly full of pace or talented youngsters but look at the class on show...Youri, Okocha, Frandsen, Campo etc.

And when the scores were locked at 2-2 Sam Allardyce was able to bring on goal-machine Michael Ricketts who put Bolton in front with his first touch. Pedersen then sealed it in the last minute. What options does Freedman have when the game is deadlocked?

I was excited by football in those days, 10 years on and look what's happened to our team. No flare, no talent, and no excitement. Will we ever see the good times again?
At least we have the memories
Flare?

8Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 10:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Flair enough.

9Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 10:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was late. I was depressed. Forgive me the typo.

10Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 10:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:I got threw out of that game. Great times.

Touching up women again?

11Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 10:54

I had a £50 bet on that game that we won win 3-2, I was gutted when Pedersen made it 4-2.

12Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 10:54

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:It was late. I was depressed. Forgive me the typo.
twas a rare error

ok

13Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 10:56

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

The only tiny crumb of comfort in this is that Leeds have fallen further.

14Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:06

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Touching up women again?

Not this time. I got a little too excited when Ricketts scored the penalty and nearly caused a riot.

15Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barness, Mendy, Charlton, Pedersen and Stig - not exactly superstars, but all capable. I remember the moaning about most of the players in that team and yet they did OK by and large.

16Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:30

Mendy was brilliant that season, especially when he played as an attacking wing back.

17Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Barness, Mendy, Charlton, Pedersen and Stig - not exactly superstars, but all capable. I remember the moaning about most of the players in that team and yet they did OK by and large.

Barness was a solid player, and actually got forward pretty well.

Mendy could have been a world-beater, but he couldn't defend to save his life...mainly because he was always in the opposition's penalty area!

Great days.

18Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:57

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

When we had that team, Big Sam wanted some money to make that squad even better! We instead waited until he had gone and we had Megson before we made serious investment. Toolate.com! Possibly the biggest mistake in the clubs history. We continue to make similer mistakes. Venky's Rovers only paid £8million for Rhodes. Imagine if we'd invested in that talent. I know we're not a rich club, but we would definately be able to stretch to £8million for a player who could promote the chicken lovers on his own! But who needs Rhodes when we've got N'Gog eh!?

19Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lt. Boon wrote:When we had that team, Big Sam wanted some money to make that squad even better! We instead waited until he had gone and we had Megson before we made serious investment. Toolate.com! Possibly the biggest mistake in the clubs history. We continue to make similer mistakes. Venky's Rovers only paid £8million for Rhodes. Imagine if we'd invested in that talent. I know we're not a rich club, but we would definately be able to stretch to £8million for a player who could promote the chicken lovers on his own! But who needs Rhodes when we've got N'Gog eh!?

I suspect Rhodes scored more goals yesterday than Ngog will score by Christmas.

20Enough To Make You Weep Empty Re: Enough To Make You Weep Sun Nov 18 2012, 12:30

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Any one of our forwards could have scored the sitters Rhodes was given on a plate yesterday. Our problem is that we're incapable of creating enough clear cut chances of that calibre frequently enough - our forwards have a diet of half chances and long distance stuff because we don't get enough players forward as they're too busy worrying about our defence.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum