Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Controlling the game when out of possession"

+9
aaron_bwfc
Reebok Trotter
Bolton Nuts
Bernard Dennis Park
terenceanne
doffcocker
NickFazer
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

wanderlust wrote:"Containment" is one thing but I just think that getting a lot of players behind the ball is hardly "controlling the game".
Best way to control the game is to have possession of the ball IMO.
Not suggesting Dougie's doing a bad job - he's doing really well with these players. Just think the phrase whiffs of media bullshit.

I think it makes sense, in terms of controlling where the opposition have possession controlling territory really.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
wanderlust wrote:"Containment" is one thing but I just think that getting a lot of players behind the ball is hardly "controlling the game".
Not suggesting Dougie's doing a bad job - he's doing really well with these players. Just think the phrase whiffs of media bullshit.

I think it makes sense, in terms of controlling where the opposition have possession controlling territory really.
Surely teams always try do this whenever they're out of possession? Not the same as controlling the game IMO.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think it's "controlling" anything if you're giving up shot after shot after shot etc.

but if you're letting them have possession and they're having to go backwards and sideways, in a sense you are controlling things.

obviously not in the classical sense of having all poss/chances.

wanderlust wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

Surely teams always try do this whenever they're out of possession? Not the same as controlling the game IMO.

Ye I agree it's not truly controlling a game, but I get where he's coming from in that we sat back and by keeping our shape dictated where they had the ball.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

BWFC 1874 ..... Brighton have just lost at bottom of the table Barnsley...and Barnsley managed two goals...... Wink
What was that about respect again ????

terenceanne wrote:BWFC 1874 ..... Brighton have just lost at bottom of the table Barnsley...and Barnsley managed two goals...... Wink

I don't understand your point? We beat both Barnsley and Brighton.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

bwfc1874 wrote:
terenceanne wrote:BWFC 1874 ..... Brighton have just lost at bottom of the table Barnsley...and Barnsley managed two goals...... Wink

I don't understand your point? We beat both Barnsley and Brighton.
My point is that Brighton are not as good as you thought maybe? Yet they outplayed us and we only beat them via giving them possession Very Happy
Anyway lets move on ...... We have Ipswich to deal with next. Let's see how that goes.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Brighton have definitely had a blip over the last couple of games but I still see them making the play-offs.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Brighton have definitely had a blip over the last couple of games but I still see them making the play-offs.
I hope not. We have to pass 2 out of Brighton, Leicester and Forest. Forest are on a roll and Leicester have points in the bag, so I was hoping one of the two we need to overtake will be Brighton.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Leicester will just miss out. They seem to have lost their impetus whereas we are on a roll. Our game against Leicester away on Tuesday 16th April could turn out to be a massive six pointer in terms of league positions.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So you're saying that both Forest and Leicester will miss out if us and Brighton make the playoffs? Maybe, but as it stands those 2 are in a better position than either us or Brighton. We'll just have to win every game and hope for the best.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:So you're saying that both Forest and Leicester will miss out if us and Brighton make the playoffs? Maybe, but as it stands those 2 are in a better position than either us or Brighton. We'll just have to win every game and hope for the best.

I think Leicester and Palace will miss out and us, Watford, Forest and Brighton will make the play-offs. I'm going to have a bet on those 4 getting through.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Brightons next two games are massive for them. They play Palace at home next Sunday and I can see them getting all 3 points. They are then away to Forest the following Saturday and I am hoping that will be a draw. They also play Leicester at home on Saturday 6th April and I can see them winning that one as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum