Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers?

+8
Reebok Trotter
WhiteBic
xmiles
Bernard Dennis Park
scottjames30
Keegan
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 10:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He wouldn't have had the chances and meanwhile we'd have been shipping even more goals at the other end.

22Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 10:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:He wouldn't have had the chances and meanwhile we'd have been shipping even more goals at the other end.

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

I'd rather have a player who did feck all for 89 minutes but scored a goal, than one that ran around for 90 minutes who didn't.

Goals win games. If a team can't defend it's got nothing to do with one striker.

23Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 11:03

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Teams with superb individual defenders can afford a luxury player or two.

Real Madrid, UTD, Chelsea etc etc.

24Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 11:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Teams with superb individual defenders can afford a luxury player or two.

A goalscorer is not a "luxury player".

25Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 11:07

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Was Klasnic not our leading goal scorer last year?

and that's coming on from the bench most games.

26Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 11:11

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Teams with superb individual defenders can afford a luxury player or two.

Anyone that negates what you do on one end of the pitch is a luxury I'm afraid.

Van Persie is a luxury player, so is Ronaldo etc etc. Great goal scorers who don't even bother to defend.

27Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 11:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Van Persie is a luxury player, so is Ronaldo etc etc. Great goal scorers who don't even bother to defend.

So you think strikers should defend? Weird concept. I'd prefer stikers to score goals.

28Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 11:26

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

So you think strikers should defend? Weird concept. I'd prefer stikers to score goals.

strikers should work within the team concept on the defensive side of the ball.

Not a coach but I'm sure most would tell you that.

on some teams the concept will be for them not to "defend" certain areas, this team isn't one of them as we don't have the individual prowess in the back 4.

In my opinion anyhow.

29Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 11:30

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:

A lazy one is!
Titty liners used to be the description in the schoolyard.

30Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 11:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Most goalscorers are branded "lazy" at some point, usually when they go a few games without scoring. Wood at Leicester is taking some stick right now, but I'd rather have a lazy striker with 18 goals than a workaholic like SKD with 6 goals.

31Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 11:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I think they have to help out in this system

32Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 12:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

When a striker is asked to defend from the front they are forced to drop deeper.

It's no surprise our strikers don't score goals.

I'd be interested to know if Charlie Austin or Glen Murray are asked to defend.

33Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 12:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

When a striker is asked to defend from the front they are forced to drop deeper.

It's no surprise our strikers don't score goals.

I'd be interested to know if Charlie Austin or Glen Murray are asked to defend.
I very much doubt they are. That's the point. Why chase a poacher/striker to play in this system? We haven't played a system that would give our current strikers any chance of bagging a bunch of goals. Ngog and Sordell might have scored 20 each if they'd been playing for Burnley or Palace. They could be better finishers than Austin and Murray - unlikely, but we just don't know.

34Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 14:12

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

People think the only trouble with Klasnic was his work rate. It was probably his biggest weakness, it was far from the only one.
Whilst not quite as uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, he was every bit as slow and immobile as Kevin Davies.
His eight game run in the side last season was our worst of the year, where funnily his only goal came from the penalty spot. That's a ratio of less than five goals a season for this nailed on 20 goaler we had. Used as a chance card, he occasionally worked a treat. Used as part of plan A over a considerable period of games, he's poor.

35Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 14:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:People think the only trouble with Klasnic was his work rate. It was probably his biggest weakness, it was far from the only one.
Whilst not quite as uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, he was every bit as slow and immobile as Kevin Davies.
His eight game run in the side last season was our worst of the year, where funnily his only goal came from the penalty spot. That's a ratio of less than five goals a season for this nailed on 20 goaler we had. Used as a chance card, he occasionally worked a treat. Used as part of plan A over a considerable period of games, he's poor.

Don't agree.

He wasn't quick I'll give you that, but when the ball was played on the ground he was excellent - the 2-1 win at Ewood a prime example. The problem was we just kicked the ball long which wasn't his game.

If he'd played every game last season we'd have stayed up for sure.

36Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 14:22

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Doffcocker would prefer a fast striker who scores 10 goals rather than a slow one who'd score 30. So I don't take anything he says too seriously.

37Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 15:26

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:So I don't take anything he says too seriously.

You're only fooling yourself. Everything I write gets you riled.

You're a lot like largehat. He didn't like anyone his junior talking sense either.

38Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 15:47

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

How is saying you'd prefer a 10 goal striker who is quick more than a 30 goal striker who is slow talking sense?

It's fucking nonsense.

Largehat is obese and I'm not btw.

39Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 15:56

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:How is saying you'd prefer a 10 goal striker who is quick more than a 30 goal striker who is slow talking sense?

Where's that come from? I'll resign from the forum if you can find the quote.

40Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Are We Scared Of Goalscorers? Thu Mar 28 2013, 16:01

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

hang on are they paying you to post?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum