Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you be happy with Jimmy Phillips?

+17
gloswhite
scottjames30
chipbutty
luckyPeterpiper
Norpig
Whitesince63
JAH
josh31
observer
Culcheth_White
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
carrs
bwfc71
Banks of the Croal
aaron_bwfc
doffcocker
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

How would you feel if Jimmy Phillips replaced Freeman?

Would you be happy with Jimmy Phillips? - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Would you be happy with Jimmy Phillips? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% [ 4 ]
Would you be happy with Jimmy Phillips? - Page 2 Vote_lcap59%Would you be happy with Jimmy Phillips? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 59% [ 17 ]
Would you be happy with Jimmy Phillips? - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%Would you be happy with Jimmy Phillips? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 17% [ 5 ]
Would you be happy with Jimmy Phillips? - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Would you be happy with Jimmy Phillips? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Pulis is a terrible idea! Might as well stick Megson back in if you want to go down that route!

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Everyone mentioned, so far, except for Megson, are basically beyond the purse strings of Bolton IF we fired Coyle. In fact Megson would never come back, even if we asked, he hates the club so much!

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

JAH wrote:Pulis is a terrible idea! Might as well stick Megson back in if you want to go down that route!
Megson has history of managing a relegated club, whilst Pulis doesn't!

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Culcheth_White wrote:Pulis is a very experienced manager and even though he has spent around £120m on players(according to you) does this make him a bad manager? Allardyce has also spent a fortune at West Ham, but that doesn't mean he's a bad manager.

Some managers, are just better at motivating, tactics etc and Pulis wouldn't be a bad choice, far from it imo.
I'm not saying he's a bad manager because he spent a lot of money, I'm saying it wouldn't take a master tactician and motivator to achieve what he did.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

doffcocker wrote:
Culcheth_White wrote:Pulis is a very experienced manager and even though he has spent around £120m on players(according to you) does this make him a bad manager? Allardyce has also spent a fortune at West Ham, but that doesn't mean he's a bad manager.

Some managers, are just better at motivating, tactics etc and Pulis wouldn't be a bad choice, far from it imo.
I'm not saying he's a bad manager because he spent a lot of money, I'm saying it wouldn't take a master tactician and motivator to achieve what he did.
So what master tactician and motivator would you employ instead of Dougie then?

It doesn't really matter who comes in on one level. The point is that Freedman clearly isn't capable of getting the players to perform. There's obviously something very wrong at the Reebok under his and Lennie Lawrence's tutelage.

That much is obvious. So we need someone who can get 'em playing.

Who? No idea, but the incumbents ain't doing it, so why not?

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Culcheth_White wrote:So what master tactician and motivator would you employ instead of Dougie then?
I'm not suggesting there are any proven master tacticians or motivators available, which is why I'm not convinced shelling out millions to get rid of Dougie is the answer. You just seem convinced Pulis would turn things around, presumably largely on the basis of what he achieved at Stoke in far more favorable circumstances than we can offer, and I disagree.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Phillips and Lee as assistant would be well worth a shout if only to instill some order and passion in the squad. I'm totally unconvinced by this experience thing, Phillips has been in and around some of the best managers we've ever had are we really saying he hasn't learned anything. Total bollocks, there is more knowledge, experience and more importantly, feeling for this club than oiks like Freedman will ever have. Cometh the hour Cometh the man so step forward Jimbo and remember Garty he won't cost a bean.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm just not sure twats like Ngog, Eagles & Medo would respect someone like Jimmy Phillips, we'd almost certainly get the same abject performances we do under Freedman.

The next manager has to be a no nonsense arse-kicking manager, Di Canio is the obvious choice.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I don't disagree we need someone to kick arse but there are various ways of doing it and one is psychology. The best managers don't go around balling you out all the time they realise sometimes that's totally counter productive. Phillips seems to me to be pretty smart and very professional so why not give him up to Christmas to at least steady a sinking ship until we find a long term replacement if that proves to be best? I think players we currently criticise might just surprise us if they actually believed what was required of them. Freedman's tactics and incomprehensible actions must confuse the players as much as us so someone who uses the  KISS attitude might just turn things around.

Di Canio did an appalling job of motivating his players at Sunderland, to the extent that they stopped playing for him and asked for him to be sacked! Just because he's loud doesn't automatically make him a great motivator.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Di Canio did an appalling job of motivating his players at Sunderland, to the extent that they stopped playing for him and asked for him to be sacked! Just because he's loud doesn't automatically make him a great motivator.
It's tongue in cheek really. I'd just love to see these players get the Di Canio treatment for a few weeks.

Come on, what Bolton fan hasn't wanted to grab Ngog in a headlock and walk him off the pitch?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Di Canio did an appalling job of motivating his players at Sunderland, to the extent that they stopped playing for him and asked for him to be sacked! Just because he's loud doesn't automatically make him a great motivator.
It's tongue in cheek really. I'd just love to see these players get the Di Canio treatment for a few weeks.

Come on, what Bolton fan hasn't wanted to grab Ngog in a headlock and walk him off the pitch?
i was thinking of something a little stronger, how about a bolt gun to the back of his head?

Lets get Phil Brown from Southend he did a much better job as caretaker manager (after Todd) than Phillips did.

OneFinFreedman wrote:Lets get Phil Brown from Southend he did a much better job as caretaker manager (after Todd) than Phillips did.
Joking?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:
OneFinFreedman wrote:Lets get Phil Brown from Southend he did a much better job as caretaker manager (after Todd) than Phillips did.
Joking?
Actually I think Phil Brown could well be the answer in the long term. Sure he dropped some clangers at Hull but unlike certain former managers of ours he admits that himself and learned from them. With him as manager and JP and SL as assistants we would have a triumvirate of men who know and care about the club and understand how to make the players want to play. We actually have some really good players but they seem to be lacking in spirit and uncertain as to what is expected of them. 

I still don't feel that sacking Dougie now would help because we'd have to pay him off then possibly pay compensation to get a new manager from some other club but if Gartside did decide to pull the trigger then I genuinely think that the above trio could do a good job for us.

bwfc1874 wrote:
Joking?
Phil Brown won 4 out of 5 matches as caretaker manager, if people think Jimmy Phillips is a good alternative (I don't) then Phil Brown would be better.

Sorry but I see Phil Brown winning 4 out of 5 games as caretaker completely irrelevant, have you seen the rest of his career?

I wouldn't appoint either of them, but Phil Brown is a joke.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

He surely can't be any more of a joke than the idiot we've got in charge now 74. I think Brownie supported by JP and LSL would be a far better option for the club than Freedman, the slumbering Lawrence and co,. We have to accept we are a declining force and without the money to attract top coaches and players at the moment I personally feel we have to look inward to those who care. I personally think Brownie would jump at the chance and it would be a great career move for him too. We have nothing to lose in my opinion Freedman is a dead man walking it's just a matter of time before Gartside realises it and is forced to act.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Sorry but I see Phil Brown winning 4 out of 5 games as caretaker completely irrelevant, have you seen the rest of his career?

I wouldn't appoint either of them, but Phil Brown is a joke.
I accept that he hasn't exactly set the managerial world alight, but "joke" is a bit strong.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum