Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup

+22
guest66
terenceanne
scottjames30
Tigermin
aaron_bwfc
Bolton Nuts
Hipster_Nebula
observer
Banks of the Croal
Copper Dragon
doffcocker
wanderlust
wessy
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
luckyPeterpiper
karlypants
Boggersbelief
Norpig
boltonbonce
Reebok Trotter
Soul Kitchen
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

41Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 14:06

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Today's team: Lonergan, Ream, Mills, Knight, Baptiste, Spearing, Medo, Danns, Eagles, Lee, C Davies

subs: Bogdan, Pratley, Moritz, Odelusi, Vela, White, Hall.

Looks like we have seen the last of ngog

42Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 14:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Today's team: Lonergan, Ream, Mills, Knight, Baptiste, Spearing, Medo, Danns, Eagles, Lee, C Davies

subs: Bogdan, Pratley, Moritz, Odelusi, Vela, White, Hall.

Looks like we have seen the last of ngog

At least it looks like the proposed Swansea move isn't complete pie in the sky.
Be interesting to see how Cavies does - and moreover whether or not he'll get any support from midfield - or whether he'll be alone all game whilst we get everyone else behind the ball.

43Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 14:54

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hope Mark Davies isn't injured again

44Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 17:08

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

much better effort but one mistake cost us the match due to our woeful lack of finishing. 

I won't be too mad at DF if he says he saw some positives overall because there were some but he really should have started the game with  moritz and odelusi on or brought them off the bench right away after the cardiff goal imo. 

Still, we did perform a lot better than last week (although that's not saying much) and we should really have won which I think is proof that we need a real goalscorer pronto and play with two up front, Cravies and Odelusi could make a hell of a partnership.

45Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 17:10

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very even game, mistake was the only difference. 

But really we do lack quality throughout the team, everything in the final third was very poor, real lack of invention in the middle. Danns was our best player for me, tireless effort from him with little reward.

won't lose any sleep over it tbh.

46Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 17:34

As has been said, it was a very even game. We're desperately going to need a striker in as Craig Davies isn't a lone front man, although in fairness he probably needs more game time. The difference was the quality they were able to bring on and a really poor mistake from Lonergen.  

Thought Lee had a good first half, certainly put himself about as did Danns and Eagles. Medo's forward passing was poor again but it was obvious him and Spearing shouldn't be playing together. Both sit too deep and don't get involved attacking enough. We also don't get anywhere near enough men in the box when the balls wide, that needs addressing. 

Overall though not a bad performance considering the circumstances, Tuesday will be even tougher though.

47Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 17:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Our midfield approach work looks OK at times, but whenever we get near their goal it breaks down and we end up giving the ball away, long distance shots or sending hopeful - and usually poor - crosses into their box which are easy to mop up.
We create very few clearcut chances or situations where the ball is bobbling around in their box and we have a chance of someone connecting.
Basically we are impotent and unable to cut through defences and our players don't have the individual talent to make something different happen. Finding another striker who won't get any service is not the answer IMO. We need a solid defence and more creativity and runners from midfield. If our current midfielders are genuinely good enough, a solid defence should give them the freedom to show it. All we need from a striker is the ability to find space and hit the target when the chance arrives.

48Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:02

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Decent game today. We looked better than them for much if the game but couldn't go up a gear to create some real pressure. If we could have done they looked like they would crumble.

Man of the match is Danns. Best player by a mile again for me.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

49Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:02

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Well if that was the response to a 7-1 drubbing then god help us.

Now and again we looked half decent but that's about it, not sure exactly what positives you can take from the game apart from the fact we were not battered 7-1 again. Cardiff were not exactly a shining light and IMO if we had gone at them a bit more we would have got at least a replay.

50Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:09

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mark Davies was just rested for today, for anyone that wondered

51Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:11

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I didn't but thanks.  Very Happy 

52Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:21

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Utter shite,never felt so little passion watching the Whites !!! What a set up in a game to nothing after last weeks shambles ! Craig , I havnt played in weeks , Davies up front on his todd,jesus christ Freedman you fucking tit !! First half one shot and that wasnt on target !!! Then 2nd half Mills plays centre forward ffs !! I lost the will to live then !!! Baptiste put a good shift in,Eagles was utter shite , Cavies wanted to kick the shit out of their centre halves that was it and the rest were average at best !!! We are in deep deep shit believe me and the next two games against QPR and Ipswich will send us in the drop zone if other results go against us !!! Shocking Freedman you clueless cock !!!

53Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:26

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Tigermin wrote:Utter shite,never felt so little passion watching the Whites !!! What a set up in a game to nothing after last weeks shambles ! Craig , I havnt played in weeks , Davies up front on his todd,jesus christ Freedman you fucking tit !! First half one shot and that wasnt on target !!! Then 2nd half Mills plays centre forward ffs !! I lost the will to live then !!! Baptiste put a good shift in,Eagles was utter shite , Cavies wanted to kick the shit out of their centre halves that was it and the rest were average at best !!! We are in deep deep shit believe me and the next two games against QPR and Ipswich will send us in the drop zone if other results go against us !!! Shocking Freedman you clueless cock !!!

We don't always agree on pratley but i can't argue with most of that....in fact any of it for that matter sadly.

54Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:26

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Awful game.

The main priority for Dougie was just to avoid another dicking. It is positive only conceding one against PL opposition, after conceding seven in the Championship, but the performance as a whole wasn't a step in a positive direction. It would have been good enough to beat a minority of Championship teams.

I wonder when Dougie supposes the likes of Odelusi and Hall - both in their 20's, will be good enough if they weren't worthy of a start today or even in the last round against Blackpool.

55Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:29

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Freedman will be partying tonight, he thinks he and the players have redeemed themselves from last weeks' battering.

That's the problem, he's easily pleased.

56Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:34

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I didn't see a lack of effort out there personally, just a lack of talent, and invention. 

If Longergan doesn't (basically) throw the ball in his own net, we've got the reply we "could have had." And to say we didn't go at them is wrong in my opinion, frankly we bossed the first half but lacked the quality to open them up, similar story in the second half, got into the right areas but terrible final balls/corners/free kicks were to blame for lack of actual chances.

57Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:35

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

They were certainly no better than us.  If Doog would have played with a bit more attacking game plan I think we could have won the dam thing.  One up front again in a cup game nobody cares about.  That lad will be our doom.
As for on the field today.... Lee was our best player in the first half.....overall everyone did as I would expect.  There's no creativity in midfield but that's because Spearing and Medo do not have that type of skill. Holden, Mavies & Moritz would fix that......but I don't see that coming in my lifetime with Doog picking the team.
No complaints today with the lads.....just the manager.

58Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:52

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I didn't see a lack of effort out there personally, just a lack of talent, and invention. 

If Longergan doesn't (basically) throw the ball in his own net, we've got the reply we "could have had." And to say we didn't go at them is wrong in my opinion, frankly we bossed the first half but lacked the quality to open them up, similar story in the second half, got into the right areas but terrible final balls/corners/free kicks were to blame for lack of actual chances.

Got that spot on for me, we had a real lack of cutting edge all game. Not enough bodies getting into the box, C.Davies too immobile and isolated to play as a lone striker and poor final balls.

The play up until the final third was pretty good, we certainly matched Cardiff. But once we got into potentially dangerous areas we lacked a creative spark.

I think Beckford and C Davies could form a really good partnership given games, but in the meantime we desperately need another striker.

59Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:59

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Absolute dog shit!

Eagles was fucking lazy, wouldn't go in for challenges etc, bad passing no attack in them they might as well have sat down and give the ball to Cardiff.

I thought Danns & CDavies played well .

60Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-1 Cardiff City - FA Cup Sat Jan 25 2014, 19:06

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:They were certainly no better than us.  If Doog would have played with a bit more attacking game plan I think we could have won the dam thing.  One up front again in a cup game nobody cares about.  That lad will be our doom.
As for on the field today.... Lee was our best player in the first half.....overall everyone did as I would expect.  There's no creativity in midfield but that's because Spearing and Medo do not have that type of skill. Holden, Mavies & Moritz would fix that......but I don't see that coming in my lifetime with Doog picking the team.
No complaints today with the lads.....just the manager.

We were on the front foot, pretty much, the whole game.

Certainly could have started Odelusi at the expense of a midfielder but obviously that opens up the midfield for Cardiff too. So it's swings and roundabouts.

I wouldn't say it was a "negative" performance personally thought we were really the only team looking to win, but sure, the personnel could have been different.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum