Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Book thread

+10
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
finlaymcdanger
Keegan
scottjames30
Reebok_Rebel
Bolton Nuts
karlypants
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Book thread Empty Book thread Tue Jul 01 2014, 15:38

I've just finished reading a book called "I am Pilgrim."

It's the debut novel by a writer called Terry Hayes and I have to say, it's one of the best novels I've ever read.

If you like spy stories and have a passing interest in Global politics and the rise of Islamic Fundamentalism in the modern world, you'll love it.

Brilliantly written, well paced (I seriously couldn't put it down at times), thoroughly believable and (sometimes chillingly) informative, I can't praise it highly enough.

2Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Tue Jul 01 2014, 16:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bollocks to that Bread. Get yerself a decent book.
Book thread 9780230768222

3Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Tue Jul 01 2014, 17:02

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I've just finished reading a book called "I am Pilgrim."

It's the debut novel by a writer called Terry Hayes and I have to say, it's one of the best novels I've ever read.

If you like spy stories and have a passing interest in Global politics and the rise of Islamic Fundamentalism in the modern world, you'll love it.

Brilliantly written, well paced (I seriously couldn't put it down at times), thoroughly believable and (sometimes chillingly) informative, I can't praise it highly enough.

I might give it a try while I am on holiday. I recently read By the rivers of Babylon by Nelson DeMille which I enjoyed.

4Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Tue Jul 01 2014, 17:02

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

lol!

5Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Tue Jul 01 2014, 17:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

On a serious note Bread,Have you read 'The Faithful Spy' by Alex Berenson? It's a great read.

6Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Tue Jul 01 2014, 17:18

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I can't remember the last time I read a book, I don't seem to get time to read them these days.

7Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Tue Jul 01 2014, 17:28

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:I can't remember the last time I read a book, I don't seem to get time to read them these days.
I certainly don't read as much as I used to KP,probably too much internet. But you can't beat a good book. study

8Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Tue Jul 01 2014, 17:34

boltonbonce wrote:On a serious note Bread,Have you read 'The Faithful Spy' by Alex Berenson? It's a great read.

Not yet, but I'll look it up.

Cheers.

9Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Wed Jul 02 2014, 00:16

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Cheers for the tip Breadman... I will look into it when i finish my current book...

I highly recommend the following...

Escape From Camp 14 -
True story about a man's life in a North Korean labour camp and his subsequent escape to freedom. Harrowing, enlightening and disturbing that it all took place in the last few years... You will read this book in two days. Just amazing...

Child 44 -
In Stalinist Russia a stubborn government worker fights against the regime that he once enforced in an attempt to uncover a child killer who has left victims all over the country but the government denies is possible. An amazing read after the first 100 pages which seem a little slow but its well worth it. A great history lesson and an eye opener.

The 100 year old man who climbed out of a window and ran away -
Funny, witty, outrageous. This book takes you on a journey involving practically every major event over the last 100 years. It starts out with an old man who decides there is still life in the old dog yet and abandons his 100th birthday party in favour of an adventure. Within minutes the sly old guy has inadvertently stolen a suitcase and the adventure begins. As the book progresses the old man reminisces about the past and lets us in on some big secrets.

I may have mentioned these books before, anyone read them?

Also Breadman, have you read Outliers yet?

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

10Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Wed Jul 02 2014, 12:41

Cheers Biggie.

I've not read Outliers but I'll look it up.

11Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Wed Jul 02 2014, 20:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If anyone's into modern history,David Kynaston's 3 books 'Austerity Britain 1945-1951'......'Family Britain 1951-1957' and 'Modernity Britain 1957-1959' are a must read. Get stuck into them through those winter nights. Brilliantly written,they give a wonderful insight into the post war generation that set us on the road to where we are today. If you can't be arsed reading,hire a scary movie.
Book thread Bruce-12

12Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Wed Jul 02 2014, 22:03

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some of the Brucie pics are quality. Back on topic and going off Bonce's last post.... what an interesting character this man was. A true Bolton legend and very knowledgeable on all matters pertaining to the industrial revolution..

13Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Wed Jul 02 2014, 22:55

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Heard Fred's horn going off many times when I lived back in Farnworth. Bit of a one off was Fred.

14Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Thu Jul 03 2014, 09:49

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Breadman wrote:I've just finished reading a book called "I am Pilgrim."

Have you read Child 44 by Tim Rob Smith? Sounds a similar kind of thing.

If you read that though you have to read the other 2 as well (The secret Speech and Agent 6)

15Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Thu Jul 03 2014, 11:16

Cheers Rebel.

As both you and Biggie have recommended it, I'll be checking it out.

16Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Thu Jul 03 2014, 11:44

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ok its more of a magazine but readers wives is a good read.

17Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Thu Jul 03 2014, 12:02

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Ok its more of a magazine but readers wives is a good read.

Have you tried The Lady and People's Friend magazines?

18Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Thu Jul 03 2014, 12:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Loaded is very good.
Book thread 1350660514

19Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Thu Jul 03 2014, 15:46

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I wholeheartedly recommend Shibumi by Trevanian.

Book thread Shibumi-Trevanian-9781400098033

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

20Book thread Empty Re: Book thread Mon Nov 16 2015, 19:04

Finished the Maddaddam trilogy the other day so ordered my next book off ebay and it came today, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Anybody read it?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum