Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Book thread

+10
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
finlaymcdanger
Keegan
scottjames30
Reebok_Rebel
Bolton Nuts
karlypants
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

61Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Sat Nov 21 2015, 13:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I'm always trying to push P.G. Wodehouse.

Can't think of a funnier writer.

Nazi traitor.

:bomb:
Just misunderstood old bean. Very Happy

62Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Sat Nov 21 2015, 14:17

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Nazi traitor.

That seems to be the general view I think.

What interests me more is, does a persons body of work becomes some how tainted because of something later found to be abhorrent in that persons life?

For instance does the 'Jeeves' books become less funny because the person who wrote them may have had Nazi sympathy?  Or Gary Glitter or Lostprophets songs less listenable because they were sung by people who turned out to be paedophiles?

Of course crime should not 'pay' shouldn't the books, music, art or whatever stand alone and judged in its own right, not that of its creators personal views or actions, which were separate from their creative works?

Anyway I've gone off topic and leave my thoughts as more of a rhetorical question rather than one to be answered.

63Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Sat Nov 21 2015, 14:53

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Just read the 'blockbuster' The Girl on the Train' by Paula Hawkins.
My advice-don't bother!

Get some PG Wodehouse instead like other here have said . Don't expect great literature but you'll get a good laugh. I think there's a Penguin Compendium edition with lots of the stories in.

64Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Sat Nov 21 2015, 15:06

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Nazi traitor.

That seems to be the general view I think.

What interests me more is, does a persons body of work becomes some how tainted because of something later found to be abhorrent in that persons life?

For instance does the 'Jeeves' books become less funny because the person who wrote them may have had Nazi sympathy?  Or Gary Glitter or Lostprophets songs less listenable because they were sung by people who turned out to be paedophiles?

Of course crime should not 'pay' shouldn't the books, music, art or whatever stand alone and judged in its own right, not that of its creators personal views or actions, which were separate from their creative works?

Anyway I've gone off topic and leave my thoughts as more of a rhetorical question rather than one to be answered.
Had Hitler been a truly great artist,would his status as a monster invalidate his art?

65Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Sat Nov 21 2015, 20:20

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

rammywhite wrote:Just read the 'blockbuster' The Girl on the Train' by Paula Hawkins.
My advice-don't bother!

Get some PG Wodehouse instead like other here have said . Don't expect great literature but you'll get a good laugh. I think there's a Penguin Compendium edition with lots of the stories in.
I agree totally on "The girl on the train". I think its such a wasted opportunity, because the concept of commuting and seeing a row of houses and getting involved in their lives, or not understanding them, I think is great, but the execution rubbish. A bit like "Sliding Doors" to my mind...what a great idea, a split second, a little decision, changes your life...what an average story to illustrate it.

66Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Sun Nov 22 2015, 00:12

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Another totally crap massively over-rated book is Gone Girl.

67Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Sun Nov 22 2015, 08:48

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:Another totally crap massively over-rated book is Gone Girl.

Again- agreed. It had the potential to be a good solid novel- but the ending was pathetic. it was quire clear that the author either had no clue how to end it properly (with her body being found) or pandered to a romantic sense of a fairy tale world. The ending would have graced Cinderella.
If you get it for Christmas take it to a charity shop

68Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Fri Nov 27 2015, 18:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

69Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Sat Nov 28 2015, 14:19

rammywhite wrote:

I've read virtually all the Wallender books- again a good read.
Here's three more names;
Mons Kallentoft- brilliant detective stories
Andrew Pepper-19th century crime novels. Great stories with lots of twists in them.
Robert Galbraith (who's actually JK Rowling ) with her series of crime novels. Quite complex books but all the better for that

Midwinter Sacrifice by Kallentoft's just arrived in the post and I'll be starting it tonight on your recommendation.

Cheers Rammy.

70Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Sat Nov 28 2015, 14:54

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Breadman wrote:
rammywhite wrote:

I've read virtually all the Wallender books- again a good read.
Here's three more names;
Mons Kallentoft- brilliant detective stories
Andrew Pepper-19th century crime novels. Great stories with lots of twists in them.
Robert Galbraith (who's actually JK Rowling ) with her series of crime novels. Quite complex books but all the better for that

Midwinter Sacrifice by Kallentoft's just arrived in the post and I'll be starting it tonight on your recommendation.

Cheers Rammy.
You'll enjoy it!

71Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Tue Dec 15 2015, 20:38

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

For Bonce and Bread and anybody else who likes astronomy.

Brian Cox book of the TV programme Wonders of the Solar System - hard back - price £50 - on sale at WH Smith for just £6.00!

Bargain.

Got myself one.

72Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Tue Dec 15 2015, 21:51

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Sluffy wrote:For Bonce and Bread and anybody else who likes astronomy.

Brian Cox book of the TV programme Wonders of the Solar System - hard back - price £50 - on sale at WH Smith for just £6.00!

Bargain.

Got myself one.

Not sure any book is worth 50 quid but £6 sounds like a bargain, right up my street that sluffy, cheers.

73Book thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Book thread Tue Dec 15 2015, 22:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good find Sluffy. :good:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum