Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Neil Lennon still the right man?

+19
Bolton Nuts
luckyPeterpiper
JAH
Barryjw
rammywhite
FullofSprite
karlypants
doffcocker
finlaymcdanger
BoltonTillIDie
Chairmanda
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
Soul Kitchen
scottjames30
Numpty 28723
terenceanne
Hipster_Nebula
Bwfc1958
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Reply to topic

Is Lennon still the right man?

Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Vote_lcap80%Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Vote_rcap 80% [ 24 ]
Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Vote_lcap20%Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Vote_rcap 20% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

121Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Dec 06 2015, 15:53

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Lusty, this is a guy who got Celtic to the knockout phase of the Champs League when no other manager could get them through the qualifiers. He also won the League while Rangers were still a force to be reckoned with and the Scottish Cup. I don't know how you can say he's tactically short when he's proven he isn't. I know people will say Scottish football is easier but he didn't just perform in Scotland, he got his players to stand up to and beat some of the best teams in the entire continent. Personally I think letting him go when he might finally get some real resources to build a squad with would be rank insanity. I'm still surprised that no EPL club even looked at him before he came to us and I think he's the one piece of good luck this club has had in the last five years. A lot of our players just aren't good enough but as things stand he can't do much about or be blamed for that. Frankly I think we'd have even less points than we do now had someone else been at the helm this season. A change of manager will not help us, only change at the very top and in the playing personnel can really make a difference now. I hope we see both and soon.

122Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Fri Dec 11 2015, 16:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Lusty, this is a guy who got Celtic to the knockout phase of the Champs League when no other manager could get them through the qualifiers. 
...with players like Commons, Wanyama, Samaras, Ledley and the fabulous Scott Brown - quality we could only dream of right now. Hooper didn't even make the bench when they beat Barca. Lennon can certainly manage at that level but his press conferences give a clear impression that he asking our BWFC squad to perform to the level of that Celtic squad which is never going to happen.

Always admired Lennon as a player and a coach at the top level but I think he's one of those ex-pro managers who struggles with players who weren't as good as he was.

One thing I would say about him is that he is showing an enormous amount of determination and loyalty to BWFC in these troubled times. The cynics amongst us may say he's doing it for himself - and I'm sure he is to some extent - but he is showing real character to hang around whilst the world collapses around him. Respect for that.

123Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Fri Dec 11 2015, 16:16

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lennon is in a win-win situation at the moment. If he walked out or got sacked then most people would say he's had his hands tied behind his back since day 1 and he did well to last this long with the lack of money and resources
On the other hand if by some miracle (an actual miracle is needed) he does turn it round and we do stay up then he will be lauded as a genius

124Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sat Jan 02 2016, 23:09

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

At this point Lennon is only still in a job because we're skint. I don't give a shit how bad the players are, any manager for any club in the world would have been sacked by now with the results we've had in the last 10 months or so. 

He doesn't even know why the players fall away in games or why their heads are dropping or even why they come out after half time with no intensity. He says as much in every post match interview. 

I originally voted that he was the right man when I started this thread but I've changed my mind, he's definitely not. It just happens to be irrelevant because we can't attract or afford anyone else or even to pay lennon off. 

If we are going down you would at least expect to go out fighting, but we are going to disappear with a whimper by the looks of it.

I know everyone points to how bad the players are but do you honestly think that if we had a manager with proven experience at this level we would be where we are now? It's impossible to know for sure obviously but i don't think so. Someone like Mick Mccarthy for example. 

I just think Neil's out of his depth and has no idea what to do about it.

125Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 00:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
I originally voted that he was the right man when I started this thread but I've changed my mind, he's definitely not. It just happens to be irrelevant because we can't attract or afford anyone else or even to pay lennon off. 
So if that's the case - i.e. we can't replace him - what are you suggesting '58?

126Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 00:27

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

wanderlust wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:
So if that's the case - i.e. we can't replace him - what are you suggesting '58?
He's shit, and we're screwed. Not suggesting we're in a position to do anything about it, just venting.

127Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 00:38

And that's the most worrying bit.

As I've said before on here, it's a perfect storm of shit:

Club hierarchy who won't do anything to arrest our interminable slide into League 1 / Oblivion because it will cost them money that they are ill inclined to spend and a manager who is clearly inept but equally is going nowhere for the foreseeable because we can't afford to sack him.

We are stymieing our way into relegation and it looks like none of the people who can stop it give a shit.

128Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 00:45

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Breadman wrote:And that's the most worrying bit.

Club hierarchy who won't do anything to arrest our interminable slide into League 1 / Oblivion because it will cost them money that they are ill inclined to spend and a manager who is clearly inept but equally is going nowhere for the foreseeable because we can't afford to sack him.

We are stymieing our way into relegation and it looks like none of the people who can stop it give a shit.
Thank fuck for Google. That's why you have an award under your Avi mate. Never heard that word in my entire life.  Smile

129Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 00:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One way or the other it's likely that there will be some form of resolution before or on the 18th January. I say likely because it wouldn't surprise me if we got a further extension of purgatory if Deano doesn't shit or get off the pan. 

Not sure if we can avoid relegation as I believe it would require at least to quality players and an epiphany for the rest of the team, neither of which are likely to happen.

130Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 00:53

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

wanderlust wrote:One way or the other it's likely that there will be some form of resolution before or on the 18th January. I say likely because it wouldn't surprise me if we got a further extension of purgatory if Deano doesn't shit or get off the pan. 

Not sure if we can avoid relegation as I believe it would require at least to quality players and an epiphany for the rest of the team, neither of which are likely to happen.
And a new manager.

131Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 00:57

I can't stop thinking that this inevitable drift towards administration is all going to plan for ED and he knows exactly what he's doing.

It's just a gut feeling but I can't shake it.

I dunno....none of us do.

But it all feels very orchestrated and structured and I don't for one second believe that someone as obviously as bright and successful as ED is would let his ship drift aimlessly towards the iceberg if there wasn't something in it for him.

(As for "stymieing", it's just a word that I learnt at school and I've been waiting 35 years to use it in public because it sounds ace on the tongue.  Very Happy )

132Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 01:11

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:

Thank fuck for Google. That's why you have an award under your Avi mate. Never heard that word in my entire life.  Smile
Grammar police pedantic point of order: Stymie is a golf term and when used as a verb it means to prevent success or to thwart efforts. 

We can't prevent our way into relegation.
We can be stymied by our situation (which will ensure our relegation.)
We can stymie our own efforts (to survive relegation.) 
Circumstances can stymie us.
But we can't stymie our way into relegation.

Jus' sayin....

133Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 01:16

I hate you Bolton School twats........... Very Happy

Last edited by Breadman on Sun Jan 03 2016, 01:37; edited 3 times in total

134Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 01:22

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

wanderlust wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:

Grammar police pedantic point of order: Stymie is a golf term and when used as a verb it means to prevent success or to thwart efforts. 

Jus' sayin....
So the pedanter becomes the pedantee so to speak.  Very Happy

(i don't know if that makes sense to you but it does to me). 

That sentence must kill you Breaders.  Very Happy

135Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 01:26

I choose to rise above it, innit......

136Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 09:13

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I finally made my mind up after the first goal yesterday that he's got to go. We were overrun from the kickoff and the midfield needed to be shored up some way. Pratley was fucked, as all season, and the change came after the goal.
He won't go anytime soon though, who'd step into the hangman's noose?

137Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 10:46

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Soul Kitchen wrote:I finally made my mind up after the first goal yesterday that he's got to go. We were overrun from the kickoff and the midfield needed to be shored up some way. Pratley was fucked, as all season, and the change came after the goal.
Interesting point of view there sk. Literally everyone else's account of the game is that it was is that was us that were all over them in the first 25 minutes or so and that's when we stopped pressing (for reasons unknown) and Huddersfield began to take control.

138Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 12:15

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bwfc1958 wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:I finally made my mind up after the first goal yesterday that he's got to go. We were overrun from the kickoff and the midfield needed to be shored up some way. Pratley was fucked, as all season, and the change came after the goal.
Interesting point of view there sk. Literally everyone else's account of the game is that it was is that was us that were all over them in the first 25 minutes or so and that's when we stopped pressing (for reasons unknown) and Huddersfield began to take control.
Meant to say second half kick off which makes the post correct as it should be. 
We were under the cosh straight away from that kick off and Pratley should have gone after ten minutes, thought that injury might have done it, but not to be.
Sure we played some good stuff early doors given the momentum from Monday no doubt, but no goals and the heads go in the usual manner. Then the initiative and the match was Huddersfield's.
We are shit and we know we are!

139Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 12:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I hate you Bolton School twats........... Very Happy

You love us really. Well Manda anyway. Maybe Okocha and others too.
I am a knob though TBF.

140Is Neil Lennon still the right man? - Page 7 Empty Re: Is Neil Lennon still the right man? Sun Jan 03 2016, 13:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:

Jus' sayin....
So the pedanter becomes the pedantee so to speak.  Very Happy
Must.....resist....aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggh......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum