Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Armed teachers?

+11
wessy
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
gloswhite
observer
rammywhite
Leeds_Trotter
xmiles
Reebok Trotter
Sluffy
boltonbonce
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Wed Feb 28 2018, 18:47

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:The very basic problem is that all Americans think they are cowboys, and as we can see by their politics towards guns, I think that description is quite apt.
Glos... you are so wrong on many levels.  Most Americans do not own guns.  It is not the politics of the Americans, rather the politics of the dollar.  The NRA contributes (or imo, buys) Congress... in this case conservatives.  33-36% of Americans own guns, and for what it's worth, they own more than one.  That accounts for the average of one gun per American.  The NRA only has 5 million Americans out of 325 million or so in this country.  But the NRA spent 54 million on the last election which helped the conservatives take the White House.  

Hence 2/3 of Americans don't have guns.  Only 1.5% of Americans belong to the NRA. But as you perceive it, "all Americans think they are cowboys."  I've heard that many people overseas believe that.  In truth, most Americans are not cowboys... far from it.  

It's unfortunate that our lame assed Congress has been bought and paid for by the NRA.  But most politicians are always running for office, and ergo, need money to pay for their campaigns.  The term of office of a representative is 2 years... and they are therefore always running.  The Senate term is 6 years.  It is estimated that a representative spends 1.5 million on each campaign (https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/2/27/17051560/money-nra-guns-contributions-donations-parkland) and the NRA funds candidates who earn A ratings from them.  This is a far cry from Americans supporting these guns.

Having used the military version of the AR-15, it is my belief that no one in this country needs that weapon of destruction.  I suppose most Americans believe that as well, but until Congress is not a paid partner of the NRA, it will be difficult to change the laws.  It is not unlike Brexit passing despite polls saying it would not be successful. In this case, we have a President who is stacking the Supreme Court moving it conservative by a vote of 5 to 4. Unlike you, we have to live with this President for 4 years... unless he has to resign from the pressure of the current investigations. It would be nice to call for a vote of no confidence in him.

Now let's get six points (maybe four?) from Preston and Reading, and start moving away from the relegation zone.

22Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Wed Feb 28 2018, 18:49

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

With a page marker in the Borley area.

23Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Wed Feb 28 2018, 19:14

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

observer wrote:
gloswhite wrote:The very basic problem is that all Americans think they are cowboys, and as we can see by their politics towards guns, I think that description is quite apt.
Glos... you are so wrong on many levels.  Most Americans do not own guns.  It is not the politics of the Americans, rather the politics of the dollar.  The NRA contributes (or imo, buys) Congress... in this case conservatives.  33-36% of Americans own guns, and for what it's worth, they own more than one.  That accounts for the average of one gun per American.  The NRA only has 5 million Americans out of 325 million or so in this country.  But the NRA spent 54 million on the last election which helped the conservatives take the White House.  

Hence 2/3 of Americans don't have guns.  Only 1.5% of Americans belong to the NRA. But as you perceive it, "all Americans think they are cowboys."  I've heard that many people overseas believe that.  In truth, most Americans are not cowboys... far from it.  

It's unfortunate that our lame assed Congress has been bought and paid for by the NRA.  But most politicians are always running for office, and ergo, need money to pay for their campaigns.  The term of office of a representative is 2 years... and they are therefore always running.  The Senate term is 6 years.  It is estimated that a representative spends 1.5 million on each campaign (https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/2/27/17051560/money-nra-guns-contributions-donations-parkland) and the NRA funds candidates who earn A ratings from them.  This is a far cry from Americans supporting these guns.

Having used the military version of the AR-15, it is my belief that no one in this country needs that weapon of destruction.  I suppose most Americans believe that as well, but until Congress is not a paid partner of the NRA, it will be difficult to change the laws.  It is not unlike Brexit passing despite polls saying it would not be successful. In this case, we have a President who is stacking the Supreme Court moving it conservative by a vote of 5 to 4. Unlike you, we have to live with this President for 4 years... unless he has to resign from the pressure of the current investigations. It would be nice to call for a vote of no confidence in him.

Now let's get six points (maybe four?) from Preston and Reading, and start moving away from the relegation zone.
I found this quite interesting Obs, and accept that I got it wrong about all of them being cowboys. However one third of them owning at least one gun, is still something that makes you wonder about the system that allows it.
Regarding their politics, I still think its pathetic that the most powerful man in the world can be so openly bought by the NRA. To my mind, when 'Gunfight at the OK Corral' is becoming an accepted part of the national school system, I think the term 'cowboys' still applies, at least for the politicians.

24Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Wed Feb 28 2018, 19:27

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:
observer wrote:

I found this quite interesting Obs, and accept that I got it wrong about all of them being cowboys. However one third of them owning at least one gun, is still something that makes you wonder about the system that allows it.
Regarding their politics, I still think its pathetic that the most powerful man in the world can be so openly bought by the NRA. To my mind, when 'Gunfight at the OK Corral' is becoming an accepted part of the national school system, I think the term 'cowboys' still applies, at least for the politicians.
Glos... politicians are blood suckers who have no real job.  In this country they legislate our social security and health care, but they do not participate in it.  They treat themselves like Kings and Queens... sort of like royalty.  It's nice to have a job where you can put in two years and then get a pension.  It's nice to have premium health care.  But it is certainly wrong to legislate for the masses and squeeze them by calling these "entitlements."  I know I have my pay stubs showing me how much I have paid for these "entitlements."  

I also find it disconcerting that so many Americans have weapons.  I live in a city that does not allow weapons... very tough gun laws that date back decades.  But that doesn't mean that every household does not have a cheap weapon hidden somewhere.  The numbers I quoted are the legitimate weapons that can be purchased.  The real problem is the lack of accountability of people with problems who have the right to purchase or carry.  There is a real failure to allow AR-15's with or without bump stocks on the streets.  Even hunters do not need those weapons. Congress's failure to act on weapons is now attracting the youth of America to protest.  Unfortunately the only true protest is at the ballot box... and less than 60% voted in the last election... and unfortunately the person with the most votes lost (once again).  The truly amazing statistic is that the draft dodgers are the most vocal supporters of guns.  Trump got out of serving by claiming "bone spurs."  Now he has said he would run into a school that is under siege even without a weapon.  

You are right Glos... too many weapons and my point is that we need stricter rules of who can have that weapon.  The young troubled killer in Florida had mental issues known to the police, the FBI and the school.  How in the world was he allowed to buy an attack weapon of such magnitude?  Instead of cowboys, we just have a true lot of insane people and blood sucking politicians.  BTW - for the most part, those who are NRA members, are law abiding citizens.  But the ability to buy off politicians is sickening.

25Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Wed Feb 28 2018, 19:41

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

26Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Wed Feb 28 2018, 19:43

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

27Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Wed Feb 28 2018, 21:05

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

observer wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
observer wrote:

Glos... politicians are blood suckers who have no real job.  In this country they legislate our social security and health care, but they do not participate in it.  They treat themselves like Kings and Queens... sort of like royalty.  It's nice to have a job where you can put in two years and then get a pension.  It's nice to have premium health care.  But it is certainly wrong to legislate for the masses and squeeze them by calling these "entitlements."  I know I have my pay stubs showing me how much I have paid for these "entitlements."  

I also find it disconcerting that so many Americans have weapons.  I live in a city that does not allow weapons... very tough gun laws that date back decades.  But that doesn't mean that every household does not have a cheap weapon hidden somewhere.  The numbers I quoted are the legitimate weapons that can be purchased.  The real problem is the lack of accountability of people with problems who have the right to purchase or carry.  There is a real failure to allow AR-15's with or without bump stocks on the streets.  Even hunters do not need those weapons. Congress's failure to act on weapons is now attracting the youth of America to protest.  Unfortunately the only true protest is at the ballot box... and less than 60% voted in the last election... and unfortunately the person with the most votes lost (once again).  The truly amazing statistic is that the draft dodgers are the most vocal supporters of guns.  Trump got out of serving by claiming "bone spurs."  Now he has said he would run into a school that is under siege even without a weapon.  

You are right Glos... too many weapons and my point is that we need stricter rules of who can have that weapon.  The young troubled killer in Florida had mental issues known to the police, the FBI and the school.  How in the world was he allowed to buy an attack weapon of such magnitude?  Instead of cowboys, we just have a true lot of insane people and blood sucking politicians.  BTW - for the most part, those who are NRA members, are law abiding citizens.  But the ability to buy off politicians is sickening.Absolutely agree with you Obs, good post.
Absolutely agree with all of this Obs, good post.
A few years ago I was driving in Laurel, and noticed a stream of cars sitting behind me, I was only doing 20-25, (wasn't sure where the turn-off was). When I got to the site, I mentioned that people would be shouting and hooting if I was in the UK. They said that it didn't happen there, as they might get shot for it. They weren't joking !

28Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Thu Mar 01 2018, 10:25

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

My default position would be to ban guns in a public area, however if the constitution is to be up held then why not allow the people to have the right to own a firearm. But legislate heavily on the type of firearm.

Why would any normal family need an arsenal of sub machine guns on the wall.

At least this way the next nutter can only shoot one bullet at a time and not look like Rambo causing mayhem, a poor solution yes but at least a start to lessen the carnage.

29Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Thu Mar 01 2018, 11:40

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The US 2nd Amendment was originally based on our own Bill of Rights in the 17th century  So you can blame the English. Trouble is when you start arming enclosed groups such as teachers,  they will all want to upscale to AK47s, Bazookas, Shoulder held missiles or similar to prove their school is more secure. The NRA are a powerful lobby and as hunting is also a given right in the US it'll be difficult for Trump to bring it under control. I believe there are about 4 million guns of all descriptions on the streets of America so perhaps an impossible task to get them under any sort of control. Still, Donald will fall over his size nines making a mockery of any such task.

30Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Thu Mar 01 2018, 13:41

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Bollotom2014 wrote:The US 2nd Amendment was originally based on our own Bill of Rights in the 17th century  So you can blame the English. Trouble is when you start arming enclosed groups such as teachers,  they will all want to upscale to AK47s, Bazookas, Shoulder held missiles or similar to prove their school is more secure. The NRA are a powerful lobby and as hunting is also a given right in the US it'll be difficult for Trump to bring it under control. I believe there are about 4 million guns of all descriptions on the streets of America so perhaps an impossible task to get them under any sort of control. Still, Donald will fall over his size nines making a mockery of any such task.
The question in modern times is what this means:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Do you read this as the rights of the individual to bear arms, or those who form a militia?

Secondly, the forefathers could not have seen the destructive force of modern weapons.

Thirdly, the number of guns of all descriptions, as estimated by The Washington Post, is 357 million, which is more than one gun per person in the USA.  As I said before, the NRA is politically powerful by buying off the conservative Congressional members, but there are only an estimated 5 million members (found in the NRA's self description).  

Finally, there are some truths that should be self evident and cannot pass Congress due to the NRA's opposition (and financial contributions).  These include banning "bump stocks" which turn the AR-15 into military style M-16's, raising the age of purchase to 21 from 18, having a waiting period before purchase, coordinating a mental health and criminal check of all applicants wishing to buy weapons (having strong background checks), and finally the banning of the sale of assault weapons.  We have had way too many mass shootings in the United States, and not one of these changes have become legislation.  Meanwhile, most civilized (or civilised) countries ban weapons from everyone, and if you examine the statistics of the USA versus those countries in mass shootings, the difference cannot be overlooked.  The hope here is the youth of America will rise up and throw out the politicians who are being bought by the NRA and get the legislation finally passed. With a national average of 57% voting in national elections (around 40% in local elections), a coordinated effort by the new young voters could have a huge effect on an election of legislators.  One can hope!!!

31Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Thu Mar 01 2018, 14:42

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Trump finally says something vaguely praiseworthy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43235969

32Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Sat Mar 10 2018, 12:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just watched a video made by a 13 year old boy in the States wherein his mum drives him to the shops because he's too young to drive, and he tries to buy:
* a case of beer - he's too young
* a lottery scratchcard - he's too young
* an "adult magazine" - he's too young
* a pack of cigarettes - he's too young

Then he walks into a gun store and is sold a high powered assault rifle with ammo.

33Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Sat Mar 10 2018, 14:13

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:Just watched a video made by a 13 year old boy in the States wherein his mum drives him to the shops because he's too young to drive, and he tries to buy:
* a case of beer - he's too young
* a lottery scratchcard - he's too young
* an "adult magazine" - he's too young
* a pack of cigarettes - he's too young

Then he walks into a gun store and is sold a high powered assault rifle with ammo.

Sick.

34Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Sat Mar 10 2018, 14:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't believe a 13 year old can walk into a gun shop and buy a weapon. Surely his Mum bought it?

35Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Sat Mar 10 2018, 14:55

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:Anything bar tackling the real problem!
+1

36Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Sat Mar 10 2018, 14:58

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Give them all a holiday at Westworld and take out the robots!

37Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Mon Mar 12 2018, 12:32

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

And of course Trump backs down and reverts to "fund firearms training for teachers". No surprise really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43369991

38Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Mon Mar 12 2018, 12:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I don't believe a 13 year old can walk into a gun shop and buy a weapon. Surely his Mum bought it?

39Armed teachers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Armed teachers? Sun Mar 25 2018, 11:57

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum