Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hysteria thread

+17
gloswhite
Tigermin
doffcocker
scottjames30
Boggersbelief
JAH
Numpty 28723
luckyPeterpiper
okocha
Leeds_Trotter
karlypants
Norpig
terenceanne
Hipster_Nebula
carrs
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

61Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:25

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Lusty I think you have to understand something that you're clearly either failing or flat out refusing to see. 

No one expects to win every match. No one who's supported BWFC for more than five minutes would ever say we should be world beaters. What sticks in our craw and should be sticking in yours is the manner in which we are being beaten. 

The truth is that Dougie Freedman has learnt nothing since he came in and is clearly uninterested in learning. The football itself is dire, the team has no unity and shows no fight and there is not one sign from either pre-season or the match against Watford that could suggest to even the most myopic rose tinted fan that we are in any way shape or form moving forward anywhere. 

There's no point saying he doesn't have the players he wants. He's got to get the best out of what he has, something he clearly cannot do. Don't bother to say he won't risk some players, if you've got them then use them. If you don't think they're good enough get rid. 

To say we are a mid table side might be a reasonable assumption but for one thing. We're not my friend. We're a bottom three side on current form and as long as Dougie is in charge that's where we will be next May. 

I have long been an advocate of patience; I was one of Megson's last defenders and Coyles, I was even sorry that Sammy Lee didn't get more time but in this case Dougie has HAD time including TWO complete summer transfer windows and we are a lot WORSE now than when he came in. 

This is not hysteria my friend; by now you should know I don't do hysterical knee jerk. It's my honest opinion, arrived at after a cold hard look at the quantifiable facts that are available to me that leads to only one possible conclusion. Dougie Freedman is not competent to manage this football club at this time. Phil Gartside is clearly not competent to find the person who is and as a result both men should be relieved of their duties forthwith and the owner should be bringing in people who are competent to at the very least stabilise this club and then move it forwards on and off the field. 

Frankly I doubt any of that will happen. Ed seems all too content to leave things as they are; a baffling decision both in football and business terms but nonetheless the one he seems to have made. 

Finally speaking purely as a fan I do not see why, as a paying customer I should be expected to put up with sub standard personnel delivering sub standard entertainment and be asked to pay large amounts of money for the privilege of doing so. I see no point in "proper fans go to every game no matter what" when it now costs so much to do so and I don't hold with the dogma that says we have to put up with garbage with no right to withhold our money if we feel it can be better spent elsewhere. 

Wanderlust I know you try to be the voice of reason here but in this case you are flat out wrong my friend. There is no reasonable way to defend what is happening in our club and the more you try to do it the more you sound like an apologist for the very people who are taking the mickey and money out of you, the paying customer. Right now you're starting to sound like a man who's been mugged who says "It's my fault for carrying a wallet" because that's what's happening. you're being mugged albeit legally.
Excellent post LPP and from someone who actually goes to matches. The negative / hysterical comments are not just based on one game against Watford but from the whole tenure of Doug and Lennie,turgid ,unimaginative shite game after game. A stubborn streak in his team formations and tactics bordering on the manic will surely send us down this season. I am expecting a long hard dark winter unless he is either sacked or walks,although I dont expect either to happen until we are relegated or his contract runs out ,whichever happens first.

62Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:25

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:are we a lot worse? You could make the argument we're no better, but Coyle left us in 18th. Dougie has had us finishing 7th and 14th. 

unless of course you think Coyle would have turned it all around and had us challenging year in year out. Which is fair enough, don't agree though.

Coyle left us in 18th after 10 games.

If you were to assume we'd finish last season in the same position we were in after 10 games, you'd have us relegated.

There's no saying if Dougie had started that first season in the Championship as manager, we wouldn't have had the same slow start as under Coyle. He didn't exactly "turn it around" overnight when he came in.

Personally, I don't think Coyle is a better overall manager than Freedman, but can anybody honestly say that the players are better motivated and the teamsheets are less ridiculous now than under Coyle?

I'm not assuming anything really just thats where Coyle left us, you can only speculate how that season would have gone under him.

If anything we've just spun our wheels since DF has arrived, ups and downs and not a lot of consistency. Personally I wouldn't say we were "worse" though.

63Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:27

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:It's all well and good for you lot to be saying that freedman should go but who the hell do you want to replace him? You can't keep sacking managers after one or two years, give the guy time to build something..

Jiminiho, Phil Brown or Big Sam back.

same answers, every time.
Hipster I would NOT bring Sam back. Managers almost NEVER do as well second time around and the circumstances today are very different to the ones pertaining when he came in anyway. 

Phil Brown as manager might be popular with some fans but in my opinion he would need quite a lot of money AND a Director of Football who could deal with the transfer market and contracts because while he's clearly pretty good at projecting a positive can do attitude and can motivate players quite well I think he lacks nous in the markets that would be fatal in our current financial position. A few years back I suggested Phil as manager with Peter Ried as DoF but don't see that working today. 

What's needed imo is a small but competent set of coaches for each main area of play with a manager who knows how to get the best out of what we have. Also the youth and reserve setup should be much more closely linked to the first team to the point where training and tactics are broadly the same across the board so if and when a player steps up he already knows what to expect. Jimmy is a great coach but not a manager and so I wouldn't bring him in for that role on a long term basis or even as a long term caretaker. 

I'm not sure who I would bring in but were I Eddie my first task would be to appoint a person or team of people to replace Gartside and then start hunting for the right management team. I'd also tell them that while they don't have forever to find it they should focus more on finding the right person full stop than worry about getting a body in quickly.

64Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:29

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

They have been in the past, they are also consistently mentioned on twitter by fans if the question comes up.

There are plenty of credible managers out there, I honestly couldn't see anyone being any worse than Freedman.

Glenn Hoddle would be ace.

So would Guardiola, both as likely as eachother to manage us.

65Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:30

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hoddle has just joined QPR as lead assistant anyway.

66Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

Unless you know Glenn Hoddle you have no idea. I've heard he would love to work with Pratley, Trotter & Medo.

67Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Hoddle has just joined QPR as lead assistant anyway.

Yes, football people always honour their contracts.

He would jump at the chance to manage us.

68Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:34

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

They have been in the past, they are also consistently mentioned on twitter by fans if the question comes up.

There are plenty of credible managers out there, I honestly couldn't see anyone being any worse than Freedman.

Glenn Hoddle would be ace.

Look, there's no point bandying about names that we know we're not going to get so I agree with 1874 on that BUT there's also no point in trying to cling to the view that Dougie is now or ever will be the right man. However rather than rushing to yet another failure I really think the clearout should start at Boardroom level and then the new chairman/board should be given time to find the right people to take us forward in a realistic fashion. 

Personally I don't actually rate Hoddle anyway, not at this level and not with our current financial situation. What's needed is a management team that can get the best out of what we HAVE not what we'd LIKE. That's going to be difficult to do but one thing we cannot do is continue down the road we are on because that's where it's taking us. Down.

69Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:36

No point in your opinion. 

We don't all share your opinion though LPP.

70Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:38

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:No point in your opinion. 

I wouldn't expect everyone to share my opinion; life would be awfully boring if they did. But do you really believe Glen Hoddle would want to come here as things stand?

71Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 16:55

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Going back to the original post by Wander, if we just accept bad results, things will go downhill rapidly, because it is assumed we are accepting of the situation, therefore happy.
Although I see his point, what really pissed me off was DF he had a whole two months or more to get something in place. What did he do with his time? It would seem that he didn't invest in thought for new tactics, plans, players, or anything. I believe, even though we know we are rubbish, that we are entitled to at least an attempt at improving out lot, This doesn't seem to have happened, and I ask the simple question, why not ?

72Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 17:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Glen Hoddle is Coyle with better teeth. He last managed in 2006. Anyway he's off to coach QPR with Harry.

73Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 17:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Glen Hoddle is Coyle with better teeth. He last managed in 2006. Anyway he's off to coach QPR with Harry.

He's a decent manager, at this level he'd be unstoppable.

But even if we were still crap, I guarantee more entertainment.

74Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 17:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Going back to the original post by Wander, if we just accept bad results, things will go downhill rapidly, because it is assumed we are accepting of the situation, therefore happy.
So what would the club have to do to get the fans showing some support for the team again?
You seem to be implying we should kick them when they're down - and I'm sure you don't mean it to sound that way Glos.

Simple question: Is there never a case for getting behind the team when things are going badly i.e. at the very time they need your support the most?

75Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 17:10

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:No point in your opinion. 

I wouldn't expect everyone to share my opinion; life would be awfully boring if they did. But do you really believe Glen Hoddle would want to come here as things stand?

Sorry that was meant to say 'No point is your opinion' not in!

No I don't think there's any chance Hoddle would come, hence my point about as much chance of that as Guardiola coming. I think people are in for a shock if Dougie does go. We certainly won't be appointing anybody with 'proven championship pedigree'.

Personally I share Hipsters take a chance on somebody unknown view, gamble but could end up hitting the jackpot.

76Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 17:10

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Glen Hoddle is Coyle with better teeth. He last managed in 2006. Anyway he's off to coach QPR with Harry.

He's a decent manager, at this level he'd be unstoppable.

If he was a decent manager then he'd still be a manager.

77Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 17:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Steve Clarke would be my pick.

78Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 17:15

I can't believe we're seriously discussing whether or not Hoddle would be a decent appointment....

We might as well be discussing how well we think Homer Simpson or Charlie Chaplin would do because there's every bit as much chance of one of those two replacing Freedman as Hoddle.

And one's a cartoon character and the other's dead.....

79Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 17:16

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Freedmans the best man for the job.

We're one game in ffs.

80Hysteria thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Hysteria thread Mon Aug 11 2014, 17:17

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Hipster_Nebula wrote:are we a lot worse? You could make the argument we're no better, but Coyle left us in 18th. Dougie has had us finishing 7th and 14th. 

unless of course you think Coyle would have turned it all around and had us challenging year in year out. Which is fair enough, don't agree though.
Only good loanees had us finishing in 7th and 14th... not Dougie's tactics.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum