Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Calling all pedants!

+4
Chairmanda
Natasha Whittam
Hipster_Nebula
karlypants
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

41Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chairmanda wrote:I agree with Nat (!)

There was definitely no need for the exclamation mark.

42Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:17

scottjames30 wrote:I couldn't really give a shit, it doesn't make me angry or anything, Harry Redknapp can't read or wright but he knows more about football than all of us put together.

We are on a football forum right?.. Just saying because it seems to have changed over the last few months.

Not moaning about it at all , just saying.

Anyway back to politics.

Seriously.

Wtf.

Where is sj and why have you got his log in details?

43Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:17

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Chairmanda wrote:I agree with Nat (!)

There was definitely no need for the exclamation mark.

44Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:30

Chairmanda wrote:
I agree with Nat (!), an error in a quickly posted forum entry, or email, doesn't get me going, if someone is presenting a professional advert, or cv, or document, and grammatical errors abound, I don't choose to work with that company or employ that person...having said that, most roles I have had require comms skills, I haven't hired for roles where they are of less importance, would I employ someone if they made basic grammatical errors if that didn't directly impact the role, dunno?

I've always taken quite a harsh stance on this one.

Your CV is your first (and by extension, most important) opportunity to show prospective employers that they should pick you as opposed to the other candidates.

My take has always been, if you can't be bothered to make sure it's error free and is composed using correct, basic English, it's going in the bin and you ain't getting an interview.

Unless......there's something in it that means you have something to offer that the other candidates don't.

Then you get a second chance.

But if you then rock up and your shoes aren't shiny and your tie's not done properly, you might as well turn round and head home.

First impressions count.

And the number of CV's from recent graduates with Firsts and 2:1's that I've seen that have looked like they were put together by a five year old is frightening.

It's shocking.

Last edited by Breadman on Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:33; edited 1 time in total

45Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:32

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
Chairmanda wrote:
I agree with Nat (!), an error in a quickly posted forum entry, or email, doesn't get me going, if someone is presenting a professional advert, or cv, or document, and grammatical errors abound, I don't choose to work with that company or employ that person...having said that, most roles I have had require comms skills, I haven't hired for roles where they are of less importance, would I employ someone if they made basic grammatical errors if that didn't directly impact the role, dunno?

I've always taken quite a harsh stance on this one.

Your CV is your first (and by extension, most important) opportunity to show prospective employers that they should pick you as opposed to the other candidates.

My take has always been, if you can't be bothered to make sure it's error free and is composed using correct, basic English, it's going in the bin and you ain't getting an interview.

Unless......there's something in it that means you have something to offer that the other candidates don't.

Then you get a second chance.

But if you then rock up and your shoes aren't shiny and your tie's not done properly, you might as well turn round and head home.

First impressions count.
I thought this was obvious?

46Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:33

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So did i.

47Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:34

You'd be surprised.

48Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:38

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A job interview is another game though .

49Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 18:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've never compiled a CV,and never will.
Want to know my employment history? Ask me.
Lost the chance of more than one job because my attitude. 
I'm just a dinosaur I suppose.

50Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

51Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:17

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How did you get on with your diving Bonce? Very Happy

52Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:21

karlypants wrote:How did you get on with your muff diving Bonce? Very Happy

affraid

53Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm avoiding the pond at the moment. Very Happy

Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Giphy

54Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:40

boltonbonce wrote:I suppose this makes sense,but I still instinctively feel it's wrong.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/150-training-a-education/8005-finland-dumps-handwriting-in-favor-of-typing.html

I heard about that last week and it set me off.

If you take it to its natural end point, we'll wind up with a planet full of people who won't be able to write their own names eventually.

And that's when the machines will rise up and take over.

And they'll make mankind their slaves and everybody will live in the sewers, eating rats to survive.

And all because kids today are too lazy to learn how to write properly...

55Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:42

Breadman wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I suppose this makes sense,but I still instinctively feel it's wrong.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/150-training-a-education/8005-finland-dumps-handwriting-in-favor-of-typing.html

I heard about that last week and it set me off.

If you take it to its natural end point, we'll wind up with a planet full of people who won't be able to write their own names eventually.

And that's when the machines will rise up and take over.

And they'll make mankind their slaves and everybody will live in the sewers, eating rats to survive.

And all because kids today are too lazy to learn how to write properly...

Skynet genesis launches in 2017 and then we are all fooked anyway

56Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:44

Not me.

I've got a pencil!

57Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They'll get rid of books next.
We'll all have book implants that we can read at any time on our Google glasses.
And instead of sex,we'll have Orgasmatrons. Cool

58Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:51

boltonbonce wrote:They'll get rid of books next.
We'll all have book implants that we can read at any time on our Google glasses.
And instead of sex,we'll have Orgasmatrons. Cool

Kp already has six of them

59Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 22:18

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

affraid

60Calling all pedants! - Page 3 Empty Re: Calling all pedants! Thu Aug 13 2015, 22:50

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:I let common folk get away with it......

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that have good jobs that haven't grasped the English language. 
I'm amazed that nobody picked up on the errors in Nat's first post on this thread.

Firstly, to be grammatically accurate, the word "amount" should be changed to "number".

Secondly, the word-order in her final sentence implies that jobs are capable of grasping the English language.

In fact, the whole structure of her last sentence needs amendment.

However, all I've really proved is that nobody likes a smart-arse pedant! Embarassed

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum