Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is this a good use of public money?

+9
Cajunboy
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
Reebok Trotter
y2johnny
karlypants
wanderlust
Norpig
xmiles
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 16:54

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

At a time when money is tight you have to wonder why it was decided to spend more money on what is almost certainly a complete waste of time. Ultimately you do have to put a price on a child's life just as you do when deciding whether someone should be given very expensive medical treatment. There is not an unlimited supply of money.
Taking your argument a little further, do you stop treating somebody when they reach a certain age, or they have a little less than a 50/50 chance. With your progressive thinking, have you contemplated what happens when the likes of you and I get to a certain age, and society deems us an irrelevance, (because its going that way)? 
If its as black and white as you say, ask the old person on the hospital bed if they would like to stay alive at the expense of a missing child. I accept some of what your saying, but there are times when compromises have to be made, and the money isn't really that much in the great scheme of things. (after all, they gave a billion to the DUP)

I am just being realistic. There is a finite amount of money and hard decisions need to be made all the time. The NHS cannot buy all the medicine it would like to and a body called NICE decides which are the most cost effective and allows the NHS to buy them and only them.
Fair enough, but don't forget, were probably talking different budgets here.

22Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 16:58

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

karlypants wrote:Not sure how you can use the DUP as an example Glos as that was just a bribe for the Tories to stay in power.

Win at all costs and all that.

Don’t forget that there definitely is no money tree now! Very Happy
Thats exactly my point KP. We're all thinking about how to save money on the governments behalf, and they blow a Billion, so its there, when they need it, and if they are happy they can afford more for the McCanns, then so be it.

23Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:13

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:What about the other missing kids that never got this money spent on trying to find them?

I presume you have examples? I'm not aware of any other kids being snatched abroad other than Ben Needham, and I believe money was made available just recently to dig a patch of land in Greece.

I don't believe the police would give up on any kid who they thought had been abducted.
It's not just kids abducted abroad that's the problem. In 2016 there were 1,141 child abductions in the UK according to the Government.

24Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:34

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

Nailed it Bob.

25Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:34

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

26Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:37

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have always felt sorry for the McCanns. Yes they were negligent in letting their guard down while on holiday but they are paying a horrible price for it every single day of their lives. It must be unbearable losing a young child in this manner not knowing whether she is alive or dead.

27Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:42

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me
Totally agree, you've saved me writing the same sentiment.

28Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:45

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Always found them a bit odd. Something cold about them.

29Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:45

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

A point that seems to be forgotten as time goes by, RT

30Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:51

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Cajunboy wrote:
y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me
Totally agree, you've saved me writing the same sentiment.
Really Johnny ?  You have never, ever, lost track of your kids, for no matter how short, or long, a time? Never put them in a situation that could turn bad, in the home, on holiday, or wherever? If you haven't, you either don't have kids, (and we know you do), or you've been a very lucky man. I think they are a cold couple, possibly because of their occupations, and the shock of what happened, but I don't think bringing class into it makes any sense.

31Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not sure throwing money at this case would solve it anyway. It's probably going to be a lucky find,or someone having a Eurika! moment that turns the tide.
It's the not knowing that hurts,and perhaps leads to people turning inwards. This might also explain the perceived coldness.

32Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 18:02

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The McCanns have been persecuted by Trolls and demonised in the Press. Is it any wonder they come across as cold?

33Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 19:52

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Reebok Trotter wrote:

Nailed it Bob.

But there isn't a money tree and money spent on this endless and probably futile investigation could be spent more effectively on other cases.

34Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 21:04

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

The thing is XM, we don't know its futile, not yet. I'm sure there must be something, somewhere, that makes them carry on.

35Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 21:18

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

gloswhite wrote:The thing is XM, we don't know its futile, not yet. I'm sure there must be something, somewhere, that makes them carry on.
Guilt

36Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 21:40

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I have the greatest sympathy for this child and her parents, i cannot imagine a worse punishment than having to live with the mistake they made.
However they did not go out on the piss, they had a meal with friends on the complex the other families did the same but did not pay a price, i am not saying that they should have had the meal away from the kids just simply that the price they have paid is way over the top for making that decision.

The bad guys are those that took her, the victim is Madeline, if funds are available and investigations are incomplete then i say try to find this child, nothing would bring more pleasure than to see her return to her family, and shut all the cynics up.

For years in this country families left there kids at places like Pontin's and Butlin's while Mum and Dad really did go for a piss up, so i don't believe this i would never put my child in danger talk, ( i have never done the holiday camp childminding) for instance you take your eye off the ball and your kid can run off in a shop etc, do you get hounded for that? and if everyone is so good why did they have a lost children's caravan at every British holiday resort back in the day.

We all make mistakes thank god we don't all pay such an heavy price.

37Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 21:46

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Granted ive only been a parent for 9 years and now have 2 kids but I've never left them on their own or lost them.  I wouldn't dream of letting them out of my sight whether on holiday or otherwise.  Just because all the other parents do it doesnt make it right.

Id love to be proved wrong wessy.  But i wont be

38Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 21:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My mum and dad would never have left us alone in bed. In similar circumstances they'd have had a sitter. 
If none could be found,they simply wouldn't have gone out. You can't be complacent when kids are involved.
It's like texting and driving,it only takes a second for disaster to strike.
I'm sure Johnny would be much in agreement with my own parents on this.

39Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 22:08

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Listen guys i have never left my girls, and i now have 4 granddaughters under 3, we will strive never to let them be in a vulnerable position. BUT if you think bad things can't happen even when you cover all the bases then i think you will find that shit happens, take James Bulger bad people did a bad thing did Mrs Bulger take her eye off the ball? surely not, but it happened, i jut have compassion for someone who lost a child.

Nothing is more important than a child's safety and i have been a father for 37 years, i have done my job but it doesn't stop me feeling sad that a little girl went missing, this thread in reality was about money ? Is she worth spending more on? Yes.

40Is this a good use of public money? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 22:11

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

My parents were the same, I don't ever recall being left on our own, ever. But imagine if you were in your garden with friends, having a BBQ,  for example, and the kids are in bed, because they are all worn out and tired, and the doors are unlocked. Difficult to imagine anything happening over here, but not so when on holiday. The McCanns were not 'out on the piss', but a few yards away. It only takes seconds for an opportunist to strike. I agree with Wessy, but I see both sides of the argument as it is now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum