Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Brexit negotiations

Brexit negotiations

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 34]

61Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Fri Sep 28 2018, 13:18

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Natasha Whittam wrote:I've just read it. It wasn't interesting.

I feel cheated.

Like 48% of those who voted.

62Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Fri Sep 28 2018, 13:52

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
:facepalm:

63Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Fri Sep 28 2018, 14:08

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
There is a slight tie-in with the article and Brexit, but bloody hell Nat, you know EVERYTHING is connected to Brexit nowadays, especially on this thread.  Very Happy

64Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 01 2018, 14:02

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Brexit negotiations - Page 3 _103642341_brexit_flow_chart_4_640-nc

65Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 01 2018, 17:33

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Nice touch from the People's Vote campaign - a video of every post-war conservative PM; Churchill, Eden, MacMillan, Heath, Thatcher, Major, Cameron and May all giving speeches on the importance of being a member of the EU. 

Circulating on Facebook Here.

66Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Fri Oct 05 2018, 10:48

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Finally some good news about Brexit - Unilever have scrapped their plans to relocate their headquarters to the Netherlands after shareholders didn't get behind the plan. Story here.

The company has a massive connection to Bolton where the original Lever Brothers company was founded (Leverhulme Park, Darcy Lever etc)

67Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Fri Oct 05 2018, 11:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
You mean that a lot of companies are now backtracking as project fear hasn’t worked. Laughing

68Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Fri Oct 05 2018, 11:46

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@karlypants wrote:You mean that a lot of companies are now backtracking as project fear hasn’t worked. Laughing
No - I mean that an international company with a majority of British shareholders has been voted down by those British shareholders who are shitting themselves that there will be no industry left in Britain.

69Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Fri Oct 05 2018, 11:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@wanderlust wrote:Finally some good news about Brexit

I never thought I'd see you type those words. Are you ok? Has someone stolen your armchair?

70Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Fri Oct 05 2018, 11:48

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@wanderlust wrote:Finally some good news about Brexit

I never thought I'd see you type those words. Are you ok? Has someone stolen your armchair?

Very Happy

71Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Fri Oct 05 2018, 11:58

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Don't get overexcited - they are just one company and lots of other majors have already started to leave including (ironically) Lloyds of London (plus Microsoft, Diageo, Barclay's, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, Easyjet (they can f*** off anyway Smile) and a bunch of others.

Many companies are setting up additional companies in the EU or moving their headquarters to an EU country in a bid to minimise the negative fall-out they expect Brexit to have on their businesses. 

The number of companies leaving the UK because of Brexit is growing and with no deal now a distinct possibility, more are expected to follow.
Last week, Japanese electronics’ manufacturer Panasonic announced that it’s moving its European HQ from the UK to The Netherlands. This move is reportedly designed to limit tax issues linked to Brexit. Panasonic Europe’s chief executive Laurent Abadie told the Nikkei Asian Review that if the UK lowers corporation tax after Brexit in a bid to attract business, the UK could be viewed as a tax haven. While tax havens are designed to be attractive to business, companies operating within one risk being hit with much larger tax bills in their home country; this fear, as well as freedom of movement of staff and goods, is what is thought to be largely responsible for Panasonic Europe’s move to Amsterdam.
Japanese retailer Muji is also rumoured to be moving its European HQ from the UK to Germany, and Japanese banks Nomura and Daiwa are already setting up EU operations in Germany.
At the start of the summer, the EY (formerly known as Ernst & Young) Financial Services Brexit Tracker revealed that, as of June 2018, 34%, or 75 out of 222 of the companies they monitored, had “publicly confirmed, or stated their intentions, to move some of their operations and/or staff from the UK to Europe. This is a 2% point rise since March, building on the 1% point rise the previous quarter (December 2017).”
Insurance and reinsurance market Lloyds of London announced in May that it had received regulatory approval from the National Bank of Belgium to establish an insurance company in Brussels. The company said in a statement: “This milestone moves us closer to our objective of being fully operational in Brussels by 1 January 2019 to ensure we can continue to work closely with our EU27 partners post-Brexit.”
It’s not just large multinationals that are relocating or branching out into the EU either as a result of Brexit. SMEs, particularly those that trade within the EU, are making plans to create European outposts and warehouses to minimise Brexit red tape and stock delays at borders. Online giftware retailer Rex London is setting up a Dutch base and The Grown Up Chocolate Company is considering relocating its business to Slovakia, for example.

72Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 14:59

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Not sure what the problem is with the Irish border as the government haven't published their proposal but it seems like it's a sticking point that might push us towards a no-deal scenario. Here.

73Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 15:55

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
Genuinely, has anyone on here got a possible solution to the 'Island of Ireland' situation?

74Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 15:58

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
If the Irish and UK Governments and the EU can't manage it then i think we on here may struggle  Very Happy

75Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 16:05

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
You forget, we have LPP, Wander, and Sluffy, although they will probably be talking come next March  Very Happy

76Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 16:15

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@gloswhite wrote:You forget, we have LPP, Wander, and Sluffy, although they will probably be talking come next March  Very Happy
Just next March? Laughing

77Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 16:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sluffy now posts on Wanderers Ways.

KP is in charge.

78Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 18:46

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
2 years on and the leavers still haven’t got an answer to the Ireland question, I was anti second referendum at first but it cannot he denied that this is an absolute shambles and too many were unaware of the full consequences of voting leave. Time for change.

79Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 18:52

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:Sluffy now posts on Wanderers Ways.

KP is in charge.
Has Sluffy kept the organ?

80Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 20:52

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@T.R.O.Y wrote:2 years on and the leavers still haven’t got an answer to the Ireland question, I was anti second referendum at first but it cannot he denied that this is an absolute shambles and too many were unaware of the full consequences of voting leave. Time for change.
Actually, I don't think anyone, leavers or remainers, have the answer that will satisfy all parties.

81Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Mon Oct 15 2018, 22:25

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@gloswhite wrote:
@T.R.O.Y wrote:2 years on and the leavers still haven’t got an answer to the Ireland question, I was anti second referendum at first but it cannot he denied that this is an absolute shambles and too many were unaware of the full consequences of voting leave. Time for change.
Actually, I don't think anyone, leavers or remainers, have the answer that will satisfy all parties.

There wouldn't be a problem if we hadn't had the referendum.

At no point in the campaign did the brexiteers spell out what brexit actually meant.

82Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 16 2018, 09:03

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:

At no point in the campaign did the brexiteers spell out what brexit actually meant.
You're getting to be a bitter old man XM.  Smile
Just think, without Brexit, your life would have rolled on with nothing to get excited about, and no reason to rant and rave. 
Think of it as a good thing.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

83Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 16 2018, 10:11

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@gloswhite wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:

You're getting to be a bitter old man XM.  Smile
Just think, without Brexit, your life would have rolled on with nothing to get excited about, and no reason to rant and rave. 
Think of it as a good thing.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I think supporting Bolton has made me bitter not brexit. Far more lows than highs since 1958!

84Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 16 2018, 12:25

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Question: Why do we need to change anything if we leave the EU as regards the NI border?

We have an open border now and successfully manage the terrorist threat and immigration with the current arrangements so what is the new problem everyone is worried about?

85Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 16 2018, 23:24

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Because if we leave the EU on the terms being proposed - dropping out of the customs union and single market, the border would have to be more closed.

86Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Wed Oct 17 2018, 01:16

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@T.R.O.Y wrote:Because if we leave the EU on the terms being proposed - dropping out of the customs union and single market, the border would have to be more closed.
Why though? Import tax can be charged at customer level - using the systems that are already in place.

87Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Wed Oct 17 2018, 07:07

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
How do you apply import tax at an open border?

88Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Wed Oct 17 2018, 09:43

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@T.R.O.Y wrote:How do you apply import tax at an open border?
You don't - it can be applied at the point of sale to the customer like VAT and collected in the same way.

On another note, the Tories have today turned on ex PM John Major:

On the eve of Wednesday's summit, former Conservative prime minister Sir John Major attacked Brexiteers, saying "those who promised what will never be delivered will have much to answer for."
"They persuaded a deceived population to vote to be weaker and poorer. That will never be forgotten - nor forgiven."
Sir John is among a host of former senior politicians, including Tony Blair, and ex-deputy prime ministers Lord Heseltine and Nick Clegg, stepping up calls for another referendum.

89Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Wed Oct 17 2018, 10:28

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
Sir John (Major) is among a host of former senior politicians, including Tony Blair, and ex-deputy prime ministers Lord Heseltine and Nick Clegg, stepping up calls for another referendum.

Not what I would call an illustrious line-up. Weak, greedy, self-centered, and out and out liars. They're all out in the cold for a reason.

90Brexit negotiations - Page 3 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations on Wed Oct 17 2018, 10:31

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Michael Heseltine is the only Tory i have ever had any time for, a decent principled man.

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 34]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum