Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy clappers tell me why?

+13
Cajunboy
doffcocker
luckyPeterpiper
Boggersbelief
DEANO82
observer
Natasha Whittam
Bwfc1958
y2johnny
wanderlust
Norpig
Sluffy
MartinBWFC
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Thu Oct 25 2018, 17:34

Natasha Whittam wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:because there aren’t many managers out there, out of work, who would take us on.

I reckon there would be a raft of out of work managers wanting the job. There really is little downside to taking any football management job. Do well and you're a hero, fail and you get potted with a big cheque in your back pocket.

Remember the list of candidates before Parky got it? Cotterill, Brown and Reid were all muted - awful. Maybe we’d find someone decent but it wouldn’t be easy.

22Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Thu Oct 25 2018, 17:38

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Stevey Bruce

23Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Thu Oct 25 2018, 17:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I didn't say the list would be good, but it would be long.

Perhaps Martin will get his dream duo - The Cowley Brothers.

24Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Thu Oct 25 2018, 17:56

Having nightmares about Mick McCarthy me. 

Ipswich just sacked Hurst anyway, he’d have been hot property at the start of the season for clubs like ours, awful job at Ipswich though.

Wonder what’s a more attractive job us or Ipswich.

25Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Fri Oct 26 2018, 19:35

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Bolton boss Phil Parkinson has accepted criticism of his team's recent form, but believes he has done a 'remarkable' job during his time at the club.
Parkinson, now in his third season in charge of Wanderers, was appointed manager in June 2016 - three months after the departure of Neil Lennon - but has come under pressure from supporters in recent weeks after a run which has seen the Trotters register just one win in 10 games.
Whilst acknowledging results haven't been good enough throughout September and October, Parkinson remains hopeful things will soon turn around.
"You always come under pressure when you've lost games, and I've managed 720 games," Parkinson told [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
"I'm used to that and I'm ready for the next challenge - it's at the weekend. But equally, the chairman has done a very good job, realigning the finances of the club.
"Myself and the staff have done an incredible job saving this club from dropping further down the leagues, retaining our status last year when, in reality, we should have been rock bottom, washed away in the division.
"You've going to get criticised. Every team which gets beat - social media, I would imagine there is all kinds of criticism about the manager and the owner.
"It is part and parcel of the game but if I take a step back - which I do when I'm driving home to my village and walk my dog - I think myself and my staff have done a remarkable job at this football club with what we've had to deal with.
"And Ken (Anderson) has done tremendously well to sort out the finances as well.
"We're probably all getting stick, and there's a lot of passion and tension in the air as well when you lose games of football, but let me tell you I can hold my head up very, very high at this football club."

How deluded does this article make the man? sounds like a man on the verge to me, anyway we'll see where he stands after tomorrow..

26Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Fri Oct 26 2018, 19:42

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Martin, he’s bang on you fool.

Clearly he also recognises that maybe he has taken the club as far as he can.

27Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sat Oct 27 2018, 13:30

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Assuming for one moment that Phil HAS taken the club as far as he can and does go I'd have to say he should NOT consider that a failure of any kind. Under the circumstances I believe he's actually done pretty well. Given how little resources he's had I believe getting us back into the Championship at the first attempt and keeping us there is a real achievement that he can be justifiably proud of. Has the football been entertaining? No but to date it's been fairly effective in doing what he was asked to do. It may well be time for a change but to denigrate Phil for what he's done to date is unfair imo. We all knew what we were getting when he was hired. Phil Parkinson is the Ronseal of football managers, he does exactly what it says on the tin, nothing more and thankfully nothing less. If he goes tomorrow he'll still leave this club better than he found it and I think that's all you can ask of any manager.

28Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 12:25

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Parkinson is a considerably better manager than McCarthy.

What he's achieved with us alone is bigger than anything McCarthy has achieved at any of his clubs, yet people are so dim, he's just the kind of name a lot of fans would jump at simply because he's not Parky, and because "he knows this league" and a load more bullshit cliche's like that.

Even if there was somebody out there with better credentials than PP who would be interested in the job, surely everyone can see the likelihood that we'll ultimately be in the same predicament a year or two (maybe even months) down the line, because they won't get anywhere near the required level of investment either.

The club's basically doomed if this is the extent of the fans patience.

29Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 12:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Parkinson is a considerably better manager than McCarthy.

What he's achieved with us alone is bigger than anything McCarthy has achieved at any of his clubs, yet people are so dim, he's just the kind of name a lot of fans would jump at simply because he's not Parky, and because "he knows this league" and a load more bullshit cliche's like that.

Even if there was somebody out there with better credentials than PP who would be interested in the job, surely everyone can see the likelihood that we'll ultimately be in the same predicament a year or two (maybe even months) down the line, because they won't get anywhere near the required level of investment either.

I agree about McCarthy, but you have no idea whether the next manager can do more than Parkinson. Judging on the last 6 weeks, I'd say it would be pretty difficult to do any worse.

30Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 14:31

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:Parkinson is a considerably better manager than McCarthy.

I agree about McCarthy, but you have no idea whether the next manager can do more than Parkinson. Judging on the last 6 weeks, I'd say it would be pretty difficult to do any worse.

I have no idea if you'd pull tonight on Canal Street, but I can have a strong opinion on the unlikelihood.

The thing is you've said exactly the same thing about every manager since Allardyce.

At what point would you admit that as crap as things are, nothing's gonna get significantly better in the long run by sacking the manager?

31Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 14:39

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:It's the same old faces banging on about Parky being a great manager. And what do those faces all have in common? They haven't been to a match this century.
I have never been to the moon, but I know it's not made of cheese!

32Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 15:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:At what point would you admit that as crap as things are, nothing's gonna get significantly better in the long run by sacking the manager?

Probably not, but that's not an excuse to keep hold of a manager with no attacking instincts.

You sack the manager in the hope that things will improve, and as someone who has witnessed the home defeats to QPR, Forest and Hull, it isn't going to take much to do just that.

33Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 15:34

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There's absolutely no reason why a decent manager could not get this group of players playing as a unit, any team needs continuity and dropping players for little or no reason is nonsensical, keep chopping and changing week in week out is a little short of lunacy, the best managers know their best team and barring injuries send that team out, Parkinson it seems still doesn't know what that team is, and that's why he needs to go.

34Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 15:43

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:At what point would you admit that as crap as things are, nothing's gonna get significantly better in the long run by sacking the manager?

Probably not, but that's not an excuse to keep hold of a manager with no attacking instincts.

But it is.

If you owned a restaurant that only served egg and chips because you couldn't afford anything else, would you sack the chef in hope that things would improve, even if you were still only prepared to have him cook egg and chips?

35Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 15:47

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Strange analogy Doffers, you in the pub ?  Very Happy

36Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 15:50

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

MartinBWFC wrote:There's absolutely no reason why a decent manager could not get this group of players playing as a unit, any team needs continuity and dropping players for little or no reason is nonsensical, keep chopping and changing week in week out is a little short of lunacy, the best managers know their best team and barring injuries send that team out, Parkinson it seems still doesn't know what that team is, and that's why he needs to go.

But if he hadn't made widespread changes after a 3 nil defeat at home, people would be arguing that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

37Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 15:59

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

doffcocker wrote:
But if he hadn't made widespread changes after a 3 nil defeat at home, people would be arguing that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
But I'm not just going off yesterday, he's been doing it for most of last season and this.

38Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 16:01

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Not many managers have survived two 10 game periods where they have gained virtually nothing.

39Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 17:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:
If you owned a restaurant that only served egg and chips because you couldn't afford anything else, would you sack the chef in hope that things would improve, even if you were still only prepared to have him cook egg and chips?

I'm convinced you're WUMing now, only you and sluffy seem to be in the 'Parky In' camp.

If you've been to any of the recent games you'd know it can't get any worse.

40Happy clappers tell me why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy clappers tell me why? Sun Oct 28 2018, 17:27

Think it’s more a case of is there anyone out there who could doc a better job given circumstance and staff. Yet to see anything to suggest there is.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum